PDA

View Full Version : Utility Racers only in WPSA all -terrain challenge, Pro's OUT ?????

Ken Robey
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Well, I guess I will just have to put it out on the line and say it like it should be. I have been racing utilities since 2001 and have got no recognition for it at all. Yes, I did win the GNCC utility stock title last year, but what do you really get for it from Racer Productions. If I told you , you would laugh. Finally, someone has come up with an idea that utility quad racing can be bigger and better than the GNCC. The difference being that we get no exposure from XC. I am yet to have a TV camera put in my face. Unless you have won a championship 11 years in a row, no one knows who you are. If someone besides Mr. Ballance wins this year, do you think it will be made a big deal, hell yes, but not for us. It is the same all year round.
Yes winning a championship does help with the sponsors , but I still paid $7000 for my machine and all the upkeep comes out of my pocket. My add on items are the only items that are taken care of by my sponsors. Unfortunately, those items never break.
So here I am, five years into racing and finally the opportunity that I have been and all other utility riders have been waiting for. The chance to be famous like Bill Ballance, William Yokley, Chris Borich, Daryll Rath, and all the others that you watch in the spotlight week after week racing Pro. Breaking it big in the Utility racing market is not easy at all. There is not a begging need for this type of racing until now. So here we are, myself, Scott Kilby , Kevin Johnston, Jim Stack, Michael Swift, Cliff Beasley and all the others that suffer through the terrain on a 700 pound plus machine. Not because we have too, but because of the love for it. Now we are given the chance to finally make some money and put ourselves up into the spotlight and it seems that the Pro riders are now , because there is money involved, (which they already have by the looks of their rigs and 4 to 5 quads they bring to a race), going to step in a march their way through our parade. We have earned the right to be the grand marshalls here. We are the ones who have bought the machines, destroyed the machines and spend every last dime we have just getting it back together to go out there in the woods every two weeks and have nothing but a wooden plaque to stack up in the corner of a room. We aren't making any money out here, and we sure as hell don't get to be in the spotlight, EVER. We deserve this shot to be the top in our field just like all the pro's have the chance in theirs. I can't just jump on a sport quad and be a pro tomorrow, so why should they get to come into our field of expertise and take our money and glory from us. I just don't feel that this is right at all. This is my one shot to make it big, there aren't going to be other chances like this. They have already succeeded in their quest to be the best. Now it is our turn to have a little slice of the same glory that all of you have been getting through all of these years. It is not that all of you or even some of you will win at these races, the point is that this is our world, we started it, we stayed with it, and we dam sure earned it. Thank you to WPSA for believing that utility racing is more than just a hunk of wood.

JenniferRath
05-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Since I do believe your post was directed to us- I do believe it is called Pro class- also I will give you a little history lesson - becasue in the greater scheme of things 5 years is a drop in the hat-

Daryl is and has been racing for 22 years yes that is YEARS. If you want to talk about wooden plaques in the corner we filled that corner years ago- and yes we still race for wooden plaques at some events, and we are still buying our bikes.

He has won championships in MX - TT - Ice Racing - he has competed in Cross country- 12 hours of America- Enduro- Supermoto- Stadium cross and more. I think it is fair to say he 's well rounded in racing- so are you trying to say riders are only allowed to race one type of racing? Pick your class and stay there?

As for factory involvement- look at the large picture. They are involved becasue they feel there is a future.

Flynbryan19
05-26-2006, 07:59 AM
I don't understand..... Was this a question? A moral build up? A promotion for this new series.....?

I did follow that you feel wronged by the Racer Productions / GNCC's. But, how do you think 95% of the rest of the people that race the GNCC's feel? The MASS population of ANY racing series does it strictly for the fun of it. I guess I just don't understand the post.:huh

400grl
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
From what i have read, some of the MX pros are also looking to cash in on that utility quad Pro payout......and the WPSA has not decided whether or not to allow them to cross over to the Ute competition or not - I hear they are taking input before they make that decision - perhaps if you write to them and let them know how you feel about THAT Particular issue, it will help them in making that decision. As for the Pro Ute racers racing in that class - seems to me that's just what that class is for.......do they have an Amateur class for the Ute's? If not, perhaps you could write the WPSA and ask for one, so that everyone can get a little recognition? Either way, I think it's awesome you Ute racers are going to get exposure - that's a crazy class to race in - and it's been underexposed for far too long.....I know I won't ride one of those things - you guys are nuts!! ;) :D

JenniferRath
05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
"Should riders stick to their own disipline?"

Ok- this makes it interesting- should riders stick to their own discipline? If the answer is yes- THEN lets take it all the way across the board-

1- No more MX racers on a TT Track
2- No more MX racers on the Cross Country Track
3- No more GNCC Sport class Pro Riders in the Quad Terrian
4- Women should have to stay in the Women’s class
5- No MX –TT racers in the 12 hour ( to close to Cross Country)
6- No more TT riders on MX – or cross country- or Quad Terrian
7- No GNCC UT racers in the GNCC sport class
8- WORCS/ Quad Cross riders stay on your side- Ellis pick a series:)
and on..and on
The next step should be once seated a pro in the Nationals GNC/GNCC ATVA riders should not be able to compete in any non-sanctioned local races , stadium events, or any similar venue.

Oh yeah and then once you become seated in the WPSA you better not be able to go back to the GNC/GNCC either.
HOPEFULLY – everyone can sense the sarcasm of this post I am not serious!!!

I would have this same opinion even if we didn’t happen to win- for the fact I would have this opinion even if we do not compete again.

jrd426
05-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Ken Robey
Well, I guess I will just have to put it out on the line and say it like it should be. I have been racing utilities since 2001 and have got no recognition for it at all. Yes, I did win the GNCC utility stock title last year, but what do you really get for it from Racer Productions. If I told you , you would laugh. Finally, someone has come up with an idea that utility quad racing can be bigger and better than the GNCC. The difference being that we get no exposure from XC. I am yet to have a TV camera put in my face. Unless you have won a championship 11 years in a row, no one knows who you are. If someone besides Mr. Ballance wins this year, do you think it will be made a big deal, hell yes, but not for us. It is the same all year round.
Yes winning a championship does help with the sponsors , but I still paid $7000 for my machine and all the upkeep comes out of my pocket. My add on items are the only items that are taken care of by my sponsors. Unfortunately, those items never break.
So here I am, five years into racing and finally the opportunity that I have been and all other utility riders have been waiting for. The chance to be famous like Bill Ballance, William Yokley, Chris Borich, Daryll Rath, and all the others that you watch in the spotlight week after week racing Pro. Breaking it big in the Utility racing market is not easy at all. There is not a begging need for this type of racing until now. So here we are, myself, Scott Kilby , Kevin Johnston, Jim Stack, Michael Swift, Cliff Beasley and all the others that suffer through the terrain on a 700 pound plus machine. Not because we have too, but because of the love for it. Now we are given the chance to finally make some money and put ourselves up into the spotlight and it seems that the Pro riders are now , because there is money involved, (which they already have by the looks of their rigs and 4 to 5 quads they bring to a race), going to step in a march their way through our parade. We have earned the right to be the grand marshalls here. We are the ones who have bought the machines, destroyed the machines and spend every last dime we have just getting it back together to go out there in the woods every two weeks and have nothing but a wooden plaque to stack up in the corner of a room. We aren't making any money out here, and we sure as hell don't get to be in the spotlight, EVER. We deserve this shot to be the top in our field just like all the pro's have the chance in theirs. I can't just jump on a sport quad and be a pro tomorrow, so why should they get to come into our field of expertise and take our money and glory from us. I just don't feel that this is right at all. This is my one shot to make it big, there aren't going to be other chances like this. They have already succeeded in their quest to be the best. Now it is our turn to have a little slice of the same glory that all of you have been getting through all of these years. It is not that all of you or even some of you will win at these races, the point is that this is our world, we started it, we stayed with it, and we dam sure earned it. Thank you to WPSA for believing that utility racing is more than just a hunk of wood. i totally understand were you are coming from.but,i think you need to stop crying about it and step up your riding game to be able run the pace that daryl is running. with alittle practice and determination you'll be running his pace in no time.good luck w/ future races!!!

Ken Robey
05-26-2006, 11:22 AM
I am not debating the fact that your husband is one hell of racer. I have heard very good things about him. The only thing that I am pointing out is that he is not a utility rider and therefore you should not cash in on their 15 seconds of fame. Was he racing the utes before the money came into play? If indeed he was, and this is what he has spent his career on, then you have my apology. I am not the only person that has posed this question in the last week, I am the messenger that got to put it down in words. Hopefully my backup will arrive sometime. I guess that beating the best in the country is the best way to get that 15 seconds. If that is what we have to do, then we will all do it.

Flynbryan19
05-26-2006, 11:29 AM
So in other words you don't want anyone thats faster than you to be able to race your class......?? :huh

lmao..... Come on man. Suck it up and either get fast, or take your finish with pride. If hes riding the same class quad as you and beats you hes obviously just a better rider than you. Your class is designated by make/model, not skill level. I understand your frustration, but if you came here looking for pitty you came to the wrong place.

If hes riding a Utility, then hes a "utility" rider.

hasbeenttduner
05-26-2006, 12:51 PM
This is turning into a allstar IROC type race for atv's.Great idea.

Ken Robey
05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
You're not getting the point and that is fine. If you do understand then maybe you shouldn't comment. Here was the question as stated:
William Yokely leads Scott Kilby through the technical telephone pole section. This brings up a controversial point. Should established pro riders be allowed to compete in the QuadTerrain class? Let us know what you think here.

What's more, we've found that pro riders like John Natalie, Doug Gust, Chris Borich, Bill Ballance among others are preparing for battle at the next round in Macon, GA. This brings us to the question -- should pro riders be forced to race within their own discipline, leaving more opportunity for fame and fortune for others? Or is it even more luring for an average rider to race with champions John Natalie on his right and Bill Ballance to his left?

WPSA is currently contemplating this very question. They would love to hear your point of view on this, and frankly - so would we. Speak your mind here.

Sounds like Rath went crying.

JenniferRath
05-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Wrong Mr Robey!!

I said let them race- thats what my post means!!! I posted it on ATV Scene also-

I think any rider should be able to race ANY or ALL forms of racing they would like to, I STRONGLY disagree that PRO's should be kept out!

If we decide to race another one and the likes of Borich- Ballance- Natalie enter and beats us- that's called racing! May the fastest and best rider win!

coryatver
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Just go out and beat them! You say you have been working for ever for this and have been waiting for this day go out there and kick there butt! I would love to see you up front ahead of them guys! It will make the race very interesting and fun to watch. The hardcore Utility riders vs the sport quad riders on uts! Its a good show. I think they have every right to be there it is a pro event and if someone can come in there and win it is not like they can move up to the super pro class. I mean come on that would be like telling Ballance Sorry you are to good the other guys want there 15 minutes of fame.

QCquad83
05-26-2006, 03:38 PM
i say if you can hang with the big dogs in any disapline more power to ya. some people are so talented that they may be the best in both mx and utilities. Why would you take that away from them.
look at it as a business, many of these guys race to make ends meet which is great for them and want to provide for their family they best they can. Why wouldn't they want to win more money?
If your job required you to move to a new market to increase sales and continue with your current market would you do it or would you say well there might be other business out there that were there first. if you where anykind of a business man you would go after the market and create the largest profit available. if not your business would never last and you would be left behind and broke.
Some riders train hard in all forms of riding to cross train and become better so if they are good in everything let them be the best and don't take that away from them just because you can't beat them

Ken Robey
05-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Who said that we can't beat them , that is the reason we don't want them to race? We will have no problem beating them. We will win some and lose some. Mr. Rath is good and fast but luck played a major role in his second win, when Scott Kilby got stuck on the logs. The torch will be passed around plenty during all of this.

hasbeenttduner
05-26-2006, 04:19 PM
The torch will be passed around plenty during all of this.

I agree and it is going to be fun to watch.

700 racer
05-26-2006, 07:28 PM
didnt want to see them there but .. RUBBING IS RACING..

now we will get are shot at racing the best in the world. this time gloves are off and bumpers are welded tight. hope knowone gets hurt !!!! Ken im getting the holeshot and never looking back.
everyone better be stock or protests will fly..

Ken Robey
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
you know that will never happen

Legal250R
05-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Is Ken's racing situation really that different than most racers? Probably not. Most all racers put a lot of money into their machines and devote a lot of time to maintaining their machines and training. However, I know Ken quite well and understand that he devotes every extra penny (and quite often pennies that are not extra) and almost every free minute to utility quad racing. The emergence of this series and the possibility of gaining exposure and winning some cash to help finance racing was a Godsend for Ken.

There is a small core group of racers that choose to race utilities week in and week out. These guys no doubt thought they would have the new series to themselves. Unfortunately, cash and publicity (not the love of racing 700 pound monsters) will likely bring pro racers to the series in increasing numbers. The decison as to whether pro level racers should be able to race this series against guys that race utilities every week should be made by the sanctioning body. Big names brings big exposure to the series and that is necessary for the survival and growth of the series. The solution is to create a sport bike class/s for all the pro level racers that enjoy obstacle course style racing. I say this only because I find it hard to believe that pro level racers "enjoy" racing a utility around an obstacle course. They are there for the money, exposure and possibly to satisfy a sponsor. An ATV racer that has attained a PRO ranking, no matter the type of racing, obviously has substantial skills above and beyond those of the average racer. Throw that pro onto a machine that is equivalent to those of the persons again whom he is racing and who wouldn't expect him/her to dominate?

As an outsider (I have no desire to ever race a Utility) I see both sides of this argument and believe both sides make valid points. The decision on who should be allowed to race the utility class really comes down to whether the series wants to highlight those racers that live and breath utility racing or pro level racers that cross over to a utility for several high publicity races per year (the IROC analogy was spot on by the way). I have no dog in this hunt but am interested to see how this is resolved.

jdwxv3
05-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Let everyone race it. Makes for good TV and may make your 15 seconds up to a min of fame. If you beat one of the real pros then you have acceved(sp) something. If you just beat up on the same old guys you do in GNCC what fun is that? Who would want to watch that? I want to see the best of the best from every part of racing. I you are a true ute pro you should run away with this....this is your game. The sport class pros are used to machines half the weight you are on so they have the adjusting to do. All you have to do is go out and ride what your used to.

Pappy
05-27-2006, 06:49 AM
I see all sides...but it is an open event and all riders should be allowed to compete unless it is set up in the racing organizations charter that a "Pro" rider be entered only in a "Pro" class.

I see this as an oppertunity for riders like Stack, Kilby and others to show the world that they indeed are on par with the likes of Borich and Ballance on thier terms.

What I do not understand is the Pro riders risking serious injury in a racing discipline that they are not accustom to. It would not play well with say Yamaha to see Ballance laid out on ESPN after he has been ****ed by a "Joe Nobody" on a grizzly. If I was managing some of todays talents, and a GNC or GNCC titlle was on the line, I would have to seriously consider allowing my rider to jump series for an event such as this.

I am happy that this series is here, it is yet another stepping stone for our sport, if sport is the correct term. When money is involved sport doesnt mean anything:p

JenniferRath
05-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Great point-

"An ATV racer that has attained a PRO ranking, no matter the type of racing, obviously has substantial skills above and beyond those of the average racer."

I think everyone is forgetting this is a PRO class!!

Class is called " PRO Stock Quad Terrain Challenge" " not "Utlity Racers Only"

I just got a bit rubbed the wrong way with Robey making this statement.
"It is not that all of you or even some of you will win at these races, the point is that this is our world, we started it, we stayed with it, and we dam sure earned it.":eek2: Then to accuse us of marching through his parade??

This is a brand new class- does not exist anywhere else- this is not Stock Utility GNCC Cross County- it does not "belong" to anyone!

Pappy - you are exactly right about Pro riders risking getting hurt-but they and the sponsors have to make the decision if it's worth it. Its is a hard spot to be in when you are chasing a series points what risks to take- Ballance for example lost valuable race time getting hurt off the race track-

This class was not made to promote the Ute Racer-or to make the Ute famous, or to help finance his race efforts. The real drive behind this class is to market a segment for TV. Business as usual for WPSA- make a product and deliver it to the general public-and they are good at it - just like snocross, there are people who know the snocross riders and watch the races and HAVE NEVER been on a snowmobile. This is not a dig on WPSA- they can do amazing things for this sport / Industry.

ThumPIN_450R
05-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I say let them race. It's a pro utility class from what I read here and if they are pro's and have utilities I see no problem. I've never wanted to win a race by the fast competition not being alloud to race against me. If you're so worried about you're 15 minutes of fame or whatever just imagine what beating Borich, Ballance, Natalie, Or Gust will do for you're 15 minutes.

Flynbryan19
05-27-2006, 05:28 PM
So......first you Don't want our opinions.......

You're not getting the point and that is fine. If you do understand then maybe you shouldn't comment.
Let us know what you think here.

Then you do.....

Originally posted by Ken Robey WPSA is currently contemplating this very question. They would love to hear your point of view on this, and frankly - so would we. Speak your mind here.

Sounds like Rath went crying. [/B]

Or maybe its that you just want to hear YOUR opinion seconded. Nah, can't say I agree. Since your racing in a class thats dictated by machine, and not talent..... I say let whoever wants to race race. I think that it sounds like some people are scared of being out gunned.....

In fairness to you maybe your not belly aching about the pro's coming in and mopping up on ya'll. If I misunderstood that, then I appologize.

Ken Robey
05-27-2006, 10:09 PM
This is a direct quote from ********, not from me. I would appreciate in the future if you would not chop up my posts to get new meanings out of them. Now read this one more time to understand or go to ******** , open discussion, all-terrain challenge, page 8, to see it for yourself and who posted it!

You're not getting the point and that is fine. If you do understand then maybe you shouldn't comment.

Here was the question as stated:
William Yokely leads Scott Kilby through the technical telephone pole section. This brings up a controversial point. Should established pro riders be allowed to compete in the QuadTerrain class? Let us know what you think here.

What's more, we've found that pro riders like John Natalie, Doug Gust, Chris Borich, Bill Ballance among others are preparing for battle at the next round in Macon, GA. This brings us to the question -- should pro riders be forced to race within their own discipline, leaving more opportunity for fame and fortune for others? Or is it even more luring for an average rider to race with champions John Natalie on his right and Bill Ballance to his left?

WPSA is currently contemplating this very question. They would love to hear your point of view on this, and frankly - so would we. Speak your mind here.

LT80
05-28-2006, 04:43 AM
WTF?? We finally get a chance for our sport to be on TV (we all wanted it) and now ppl are showing up for money purposes only?
It surely will help and why shouldn't it!
Rath crying,,get a grip dude.
If I can get Kymco to give me a machine (4x4) I'm joining the pro ranks and going for the gold.
Wait, I'm an amature racer. Maybe I shouldn't make a jump up eh?
To be honest, a MX racer looks at the ute racing as simple. Starting out on a 4x4 tells me it's harder than it looks, but maybe that's why some pro's (other than GNCC) want to try it.

The WPSA did a wonderful job in creating this race. The CEO admits not knowing much about "quad terrain challenge" cuz they just invented it. With that being said, I agree with the comments of "give the WPSA your opinions". They will listen and make this ute racing a great thing.
Lets all suck up the minimal problems and race! :) :)

maggiesboy
05-28-2006, 09:37 AM
You're not getting the point and that is fine. If you do understand then maybe you shouldn't comment. Here was the question as stated:

Sounds like Rath went crying.

So, let me get this straight. You think people (The fast, known pros) need to stick to one type of racing to give little Joe a fighting chance at finally winning a race?

I say boot up and practice your tail off. Kory Ellis comes home to the Woodland MX park a couple of times a year. Some local pros drop thier heads and don't even sign up, or even scratch out. SOme guys just MAN UP and run him for what they can. It's purdy cool to hear these guys say " man I beat him on the start" or they out jumped him.

Racers are racers, they will stop racing when it is no longer fun. Until then, they will race whatever and wherever they can. Don't let these guys have weiner dogs, they will race them too :D

Flynbryan19
05-28-2006, 12:19 PM
To me it just sounds like some racers need to quit belly aching and own up. I think any of the riders that show up should be allowed to race with the likes of any of the GNCC utility regulars..... Whether it be Daryl Rath, John Natalie, Ken Robey, Mike Penland.

gbcap
05-28-2006, 07:23 PM
sorry ken...you didn't start the ute class. your head is WAY to big right about now.

i second jenniferrath...this is a new class...so how is it yours already. hell...this isn't the GNCC either. not even the same promotors?

you got beat...get over it....

if the ute class was the payout class in the GNCC do you think all the pros would be running sport quads? some would some wouldnt. yes it sucks they are coming in and taking an opportunity for the ute guys to make back some money, but your all on stock quads...so it is up to rider skill to win. it isn't about how much money you have in your quad anymore. if you can't beat them then they are a better rider then you and you need to stop crying.

ogre
05-31-2006, 08:26 AM
I think we are really forgeting why this class was started. TV! As Rath stated it is a made for TV race, why would people want to tune in to watch a bunch of guys that they had never heard of. I know nobody would want to watch me race a MX on TV, I'm not bad but I'm not Doug Gust either! Just think how great of a show it will be to see Rath, Ballance, Gust, Natalie, Yokley, Kilby and others going bar to bar though the mud on huge OEM 4x4s. You know did anyone ever think that maybe Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Artic Cat are telling their factory racers to sign up? How often do the OEMs get this much exposure for their UTEs? Let whoever wants to race the class race it, a GNCC ute rider should have no problem earning a little cash and beating a few top names along the way. How many GNC pros who have signed up for a GNCC ran away with the race? Or how many times did Ballance win at the Loretta Lynn GNC? The ute race will not be donminated by any one disipline of rider, that is why it will be so much fun to watch on TV. "Hey look Joe Rider just beat the crap out of John Natalie on a ute", that is what the WPSA is going for. Lets look at the big picture for a minute.

gimp419
05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Sorry that last one was me, I hate a shared computer.

laeger2fiddyr
05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
they are in it for easy money, if i had a utility quad i would race it in the wpsa series too!!! moneys money!!!! it costs alot to go to the races and pay for expenses and everything else that goes along with it!

hasbeenttduner
06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ogre
I think we are really forgeting why this class was started. TV! As Rath stated it is a made for TV race, why would people want to tune in to watch a bunch of guys that they had never heard of. I know nobody would want to watch me race a MX on TV, I'm not bad but I'm not Doug Gust either! Just think how great of a show it will be to see Rath, Ballance, Gust, Natalie, Yokley, Kilby and others going bar to bar though the mud on huge OEM 4x4s. You know did anyone ever think that maybe Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Artic Cat are telling their factory racers to sign up? How often do the OEMs get this much exposure for their UTEs? Let whoever wants to race the class race it, a GNCC ute rider should have no problem earning a little cash and beating a few top names along the way. How many GNC pros who have signed up for a GNCC ran away with the race? Or how many times did Ballance win at the Loretta Lynn GNC? The ute race will not be donminated by any one disipline of rider, that is why it will be so much fun to watch on TV. "Hey look Joe Rider just beat the crap out of John Natalie on a ute", that is what the WPSA is going for. Lets look at the big picture for a minute.

Well said gimp.I would love to see that on tv.

Johnny & Monica
06-02-2006, 07:30 AM
I think they should leave it open. If you want to ride a utility, no matter who you are, go for it!! Don't they have to qualify for it anyway? Sounds like some people don't like sharing the sandbox! It's not a given who will win but it is a given that this is going to be awesome. Just think how big your name will be if you win (over well known racers) and it's all televised. If you start denying racers then where will it end. You want your glory earn it!!

The first event will be televised this weekend hopefully the belly aching will be left to the forums and not televised.

YAMAHAVIPER
06-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I just ran out of kleenex,please stop. Our sport finally after 20 years is getting recognition that we need.Respectable purses PROFESSIONAL LOOKING EVENTS,and top notch racing ,yes we have the pro classes ,but the utility classes are getting tv time like they deserve.The utility racers do spend alot of money to do their hobby it is not a job for many.MANY PROS race for a living and if they can make more money by riding utilities more power to them,if you want your face on the big screen go beat RATH,NATALIE BROWN GUST OR JONES or just be happy that you have a chance to be on ESPN2. THANK YOU KEN ROBEY and all the utility PARTICIPANTS for the show.

fastex91
06-04-2006, 03:00 PM
This is STUPID!:rolleyes: I can't believe a so called "champion" of the Gncc Ute class is crying about this. Let me get this straight, it's a a Pro Stock Utility class correct? Then your lack of money and their "pro" money in a stock class are the same. If you're getting beat, it's because they are better than you. PERIOD! I'd like to see more stock racing in all classes and disciplines of racing. Like it was stated before, it's like IROC on quads. The rider wins the race and not the depth of the wallet supporting the quad. If I had a better utility quad (450 ES right now), I'd love to line up with the pro's. Suck it up and take your beatings or stay home.
Sorry for the rant here, but the guy that started this really opened a can of worms on himself. If I were one of his sponsors this year, I wouldn't be next year. He's a sore loser and I would not want my products associated with someone like that.

Ken Robey
06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
First of all, there was no whining or crying going on about it. It was a question and the thoughts of many different ute and pro riders. I thiought we covered that before. It was not MY crying, I was the spokesman. As far as it goes, Pro's, no Pro's, anyone, they will all be racing. There have been alot of good points made on this forum over the last week. Some I agree with and others I don't. I talked with everyone in question this weekend and we all saw evryones points and understood where we were all coming from. If you wanted to see some rule bending you should have showed up this weekend, then you could see where some of us are coming from. We have no beefs with each other and there was no crying involved. We had a great weekend of racing, alot of fun, some of us did awesome, some of us had bad days. All in all, only Kevin Johnston received six stitches, no one else had any serious problems. We had a great time, alot of apologies were thrown around after each round for bumping and slamming,but I think we all came away smiling and better racers for having been there.
My second revelation of the weekend was meeting Jennifer Rath, the wife of Darryl. Even though she tore me a new one in the thread last week, we came to see things eye to eye. I think we are good friends now and know each others likes and dislikes of the sport. Fortunately, most of the things that are going on we are in agreeance on. She is probably one of the classiest women I have met in my racing career and Daryll is lucky to have her in his corner. Thanks, to everyone who gave it 100% this weekend, Congrats to the winners, you guys earned it.

TomDnSC
06-05-2006, 08:08 PM
How did Kevin get hurt? Will he be able to run Sparta this weekend?

Will Chris's injured leg affect his race at Sparta?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Admin
06-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by TomDnSC
How did Kevin get hurt? Will he be able to run Sparta this weekend?

Will Chris's injured leg affect his race at Sparta?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Kevin needed stitches in his knee when Rick Cecco was pushed into him from another rider while coming out of the mud pit, but Kevin will be racing at Kentucky. Doc Ragon is the man as he did a great job of stitching up Joe Haavisto face after a really bad crash during practice on Friday, but Joe raced on Sunday

Chris looked great this weekend, and he is ready for battle with some bruising remaining from his wreck at the Penton (I took his word for it, too high up the leg for me to want to view)

JenniferRath
06-06-2006, 08:48 AM
It was carnage- but nothing to serious to keep anyone out of their next races- business as usual for them.

Johnston- Stiches ( still had to go out and race to show he could :devil: )
Borich- bum leg, he does limp with grace
Cecco- did a vault over the bars- looked great:D
Rath- three cracked ribs:ermm:

If I had about an extra six hours I would list the damage to the bikes!!

But after it all, everyone still had fun- had some laughs together in the pits- shook hands over some misunderstandings- this is a learning process for all involved -bottom line these guys love what they do- and are all looking forward to the next round!

tim colston
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I commend you both, Mrs. Rath and Mr. Robey, I am glad you were able to agree to disagree and bury the hatchet. When it all boils down to it, you did what is best for the sport. I don't race but I have followed this thread and it was nice to see a mature and peaceful resolve to the conflict. Good luck to both corners this race season.

trick250r
07-08-2006, 06:05 AM
i would be honored to race against those guys like daryl rath, chris borich, john natalie... i dont see what his problem is. id do anything to battle it out with those guys. :confused:

d1g888
07-08-2006, 03:39 PM
i get tired of hearing all these people cry cry cry
if you can't keep up get off the track

markeg192
07-08-2006, 06:21 PM
It sounds like the "pros" are looking for some easy money and the "Ute" Guys are just looking for some respect.

hill43
07-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I say let them all race if they are on a legal ATV for the class more power to them its just like the " NEXTEL" guys dropping down and racing the " Bush" races.

What I did hate to see is Mr.Rath 4th in piont is the EDT not show up to the race and race the UTL at IL and the EDT promoter not show up either but I guess the whole TV thing and the "Cat" ride is important. I just hope they dont skip the biggest TT race of the year in OH and race the WPSA.

Admin
07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Everything has worked itself out, so I am closing this thread because it no longer serves a purpose.