PDA

View Full Version : taking cam out(400ex)

exrider23
05-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Do i take the sprocket off the cam then take the cam out? or how do i do this? i have to take the cylinder off to check my vlaves and piston.thanks

NacsMXer
05-25-2006, 04:28 PM
The cam is connected to the cam sprocket by 2 bolts. You must remove the cam sprocket and timing chain to remove the cam. If you are going to be attempting this I suggest you get a service manual. It will give you step by step instructions on anything you would need to do as well as the correct way to set your timing back once you reinstall that camshaft ;)

exrider23
05-26-2006, 10:58 AM
ok i got the cam out but the cam chain wont come off the sprocket...how do i get it off? also is there any pins or anything "hidden"?

05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
beat it

also mark the chain where it was on the cam with white out o you dont get yout timing off

cals400ex
05-26-2006, 11:53 AM
i would not beat the cam chain or sprocket! it will easily come off. did you remove the cam chain tensioner?

HINT HINT:

there is no need to remove the sprocket from the cam chain. just remember when you put it back together that two of the lines on the sprocket align with the side of the head and the other line points UP. just turn your crank to make these align when you are installing the parts. if you leave it in place then you won't need to retime the bike in when you put it all back together. you will want to remove the chain tensioner though....

a service manual is pretty much a necessity when doing work like this. you MUST have the torque specs and the proper tools or you are begging for issues.