PDA

View Full Version : engine problems

travis starkey
05-25-2006, 02:13 AM
i have a 1987 honda trx 250x fourtrax.it only starts with choke on but wont run with it on.it runs for about 30 min or so and then it dies.the choke moves itself up to on and thats when it dies.i was jus wondering why the choke would do that.if the choke needs replaced bout how much will it cost.

sixer3
05-25-2006, 12:46 PM
its just old, zip tie that sucker open or something

travis starkey
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
ive tried that before but for some reason it still acts like it does when its loose.it dies just like it does when the choke moves up but it doesnt move.im new to fourwheelers so idk a lot about them jus lookin for help.

sixer3
05-25-2006, 11:03 PM
clean out your airfilter, and make sure your snorkel isnt clogged by anything like a rat or just gunk and build-up, and also clean the carb out real good

travis starkey
05-27-2006, 12:52 AM
thanks for the help but it doesnt have to do with the carb its over heating badly.if u dont let it die it runs fine but once it does die it has to sit for about 30 to 45 min before riding it again.idk whats wrong im goin to run it like this till i can get it in the shop.if its somethin easy to fix around the house let me know but if not ill jus put it in the shop. thanks again for the help before

travis starkey
05-27-2006, 05:54 AM
how much would a bigger jet cost.

YZ400EX
05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by travis starkey
how much would a bigger jet cost.

Maybe $3-$5..

LT250RMan
05-29-2006, 08:57 PM
i had almost the same problem, with my old trail boss quad (20 years old) would only run with the choke half on, i just got a diffrent carb and it fixed the problem, so i would take the carb off and take it apart and clean it really good and put new seals and new jets in the carb that should fix your problem

travis starkey
05-29-2006, 11:08 PM
thanks for the help tuesday im buying new jets and im goin to clean my carb and put the new jet in and hope it works either way even if i have to replace the carb i only spent 300 on the four wheeler and it ran when i got it so its worth the time and money i guess thanx for all help.

travis starkey
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
i need to know how to change the jet and find out what size is in it already.i dont know what size to buy yet so i would appreciate the help if anyone knows how to find out what size is in it and how to change it.

LT250RMan
05-30-2006, 10:27 PM
ok,, to change a main jet you take your carb of the engine, flip it upside down take the float boul off by removing the 4 bolts they are most likely a screw driver headed bolt, then you will see a gold octagon looking thing the one cloest to you is the main jet it with have a little hole in it, find a little scoket that fits the jet and remove the jet and then put the other jet back in then tighten the jet, not to much but good and snug so it doent fall out when you are driving, put the float boul back on, , put the carb on the engine and there you go,, Thats how to change a main jet,,, i hope you understand this,, ,, For the size of the jet phone a honda dealer and tell him your elevation and what tempature you will be riding in, he will give you a idea of what size of jet to use, or go find a jet chart for your quad..,,, oh ya, it will tell my what size of jet in little numbers right on the face of the jet.

travis starkey
05-31-2006, 12:21 AM
thanks a lot i get what ur sayin and i hope i do it right cuz i might be trding it and dont want to f*** it up more if im goin to.so ill jus have to take my time i guess and hope it works out.

LT250RMan
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
just remember to check your plug all the time, it should be a chocolate brown color and NOT A WHITE COLOR,, white is not a good color its running way to lean if its white and you will cook it in no time, just remember CHOCOLATE BROWN NOT WHITE

LT250RMan
05-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
cardboard brown black in the middle

If its black in the middle then its a little rich, the whole plug should be chocolate brown, not with a black middle, BLACK means to rich and all the fuel is not getting burnt

travis starkey
05-31-2006, 08:10 PM
u talkin bout the spark plug or a plug in the carb im confused ive been talkin bout carbs then u say plug idk what plug ur talkin bout

LT250RMan
05-31-2006, 09:12 PM
yes a spark plug, the part that goes in the engine, you check your plug after you jet your quad so you know if you have to go richer(bigger jet) or leaner(a smaller jet), if the spark plug is black then you have to go with a smaller jet and if its white go with a bigger jet untill it a nice choclate brown color. When you jet your bike dont just go for a long ride then check your plug, go for a short ride and kinda drive the crap out of it for a minute or 2 then back of, then shut your engine off and when the engine is still hot take your spark plug out and look at the end of it, then you know if its running to lean or to rich, And if its to lean a white color it will blow up when you go for a long ride.

travis starkey
05-31-2006, 11:09 PM
thanx for the info it may of sounded like im stupid but i was jus makin sure.ill check it tomorrow.then decide on jets