PDA

View Full Version : question for all the Camera Pros

QuadJunkies
05-25-2006, 12:17 AM
As some of you already know, the annual duning group ride is coming up in a couple more weeks and I have never shot pics with my Camera at the dunes.

What I am wanting to know is, whats the best settings, ISO ect..??Do youthink a good investment would be to buy a Filter(Polarizer)(sp?)

there will be shots of bright backgrounds of the sand where the Sun hits it and then there will be shots of where some of the Dunes my be half shaded.

Thanks for your advice !:)

Pappy
05-25-2006, 06:11 AM
a circular polarizing filter will allow you to dial in the amount of polarization you want.

iso of 200 to 640 depending on the available light....manual mode , meter off the sand

QuadJunkies
05-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
a circular polarizing filter will allow you to dial in the amount of polarization you want.

iso of 200 to 640 depending on the available light....manual mode , meter off the sand

Thank you Pappy ;)
whats your thoughts on a Filter? Camera shop says that its not nesssasary,some swear by them,some say dont worry about it cause you almost always will need more light. Only filter I use right now is a UV protector.

Ive never personally ever used MAnual Mode, Ive usedTv(My favorite so far) and Priority.Ill give it a try :)

Pappy
05-25-2006, 11:32 AM
on digital, my findings are that the iso is not nearly the same as when using 35mm. i have several light meters that i sue to great success, but with offroad action its harder to use when action pops up in front of you.

the biggest thing is to get a clear focused picture, then worry about proper lighting. i shoot in manual mode 99% of the time, and will meter off a neutral lighted area. with digital, its easy to see if your close due to being able to see the picture when you take it(although my eyesight isnt what it once was...it works)

if i will be running from area to area, i will shoot in shutter priority, setting the shutter speed fast enough to get crisp pics and allow the camera to set the aperature.

a uv filter is fine for 99.5% of what you will be shooting. i used to use a polarizing filter ALOT when i did race car photography. i could take glare off windows and unwanted shine of panels etc.

QuadJunkies
05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Canon will be having a booth set up for a Sand photo Contest Fathers Day wk end at the dunes ..

It would be fun to enter it and see if I could WIN!:blah: Highly doubtful,but will still be fun to talk to them and see all the photos on display.
hopefully there will be no wind this year.. I NEVER get good pics when wind is involved:grr:

QuadJunkies
05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
.http://www.dtexposures.com/atvworkshop/main%20copy.jpg

mx428
05-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
.http://www.dtexposures.com/atvworkshop/main%20copy.jpg That's pretty cool!

QuadJunkies
05-25-2006, 12:30 PM
What would be a good Shutter speed? I want to get some Sand Roosting nice and crisp..

Alot of the MX I generally shoot in a lower F-stop and shutter at 400 and I like to focus on a single rider, now Im going to want the whole image crisp .Ive shot at about 800 and felt it was abit too grainy but it will also be in a total type of picture shooting for me this time arond too...

Im guessing a F-16-22 ???

I forgot to mention, this is being done with a 75-300 Canon 4-5.6 Lense.:)

Im going to also do some reading this wk end and some tutorials and see if that helps some :)

LTZ400rider
05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
if ur shootin roost pics just just the shutter speed to the highest setting, normal shots i guess 1/400 maybe higher

Pappy
05-25-2006, 02:47 PM
depends soley on the light and what you wish to achieve

fast shutter = stopped motion

slow shutter = motion

play with all settings...sometimes the effects can really get you a winner. i like to show motion in alot of my pics...tires spinning etc.

Pappy
05-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I really like it when i can get a rider using his back brakes while the front tires are still spinning. it adds to the picture a ton

QuadJunkies
05-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I really like it when i can get a rider using his back brakes while the front tires are still spinning. it adds to the picture a ton

that is a great effect.. :D

Ill have several days to play with the Camera, but I want to spend even MORE time riding this year:blah:

thanks for the advice Pappy...