PDA

View Full Version : cops on RAPTORS & BANSHEES!!!

One_Bad_400
08-08-2002, 08:07 PM
**it's long, but a good story**

i've been riding some trails behing my house for about 6 years now, and just recently they've started building a round through these trails and it's opened up about 15 other riders, and at first it was cool because we had people to ride with, but now the owner of all the land has realized it and he hired security guars to watch his land, but they were in trucks, so there was NO way they could catch us, we just took off through some trails and it was over. BUT, now, he's hired COPS ON BANSHEES, RAPTORS, and YZ250's stop anybody from riding there!!!! i haven't personaly been caught yet, but my friends have, and my brother as seen them, but on my Z400 or my 400ex I could get away from them, because like I said, I've been riding the trails for about 6 years and I could ride them with my eyes closed, and they've never rode them so they would have to go slow, so the only place they could catch me would be on the main(gravel) road, and then I would just slow down, put it in fourth, and pop the cluctch, throwing so much gravel and dust in their face the wouldn't be able to see anything. i'm not sure if they are actuall cops or if they are just regular people, but i will find out soon:D , it's kind of scary, but it makes riding even more exciting! lol

P.S. the guy who owns this land has billions of dollars and has hundreds and hundreds of acres, and he's still a ***** about us riding on these little parts, and the problem is that there are other places to ride here, but since he owns so much, you have to go through his land to get there.

Sportrax10
08-08-2002, 08:34 PM
try asking him for permission to ride through his land to get to the other riding areas he just might say yes....
also ask him if you can patrol the area for free so he dosnt have to hire anyone!!!!! that would be sweat!

RobG
08-08-2002, 09:36 PM
I would suggest talking to the owner (calmly) and find out, in his words, why he's doing that.

THEN, contact your local newspaper and explain to them that this used to be a riding area and now the owner has turned into a hard-***. See if you can get a story about it in the paper.

Negative publicity will often change people's minds about decisions they've made, or at least make you feel better when suddenly everybody in town hates him as much as you do.

Rob

One_Bad_400
08-08-2002, 09:53 PM
Sportraxboy10: we've already tried talking to him, he's just a b!tch, but I like Rob's idea

Sportrax10
08-08-2002, 10:02 PM
oh some people are just like that. if hes rich i doubt ur gonna get ur trails back:(

stocktires
08-08-2002, 11:08 PM
he's probably worried about somebody getting hurt, then sueing his a**.

Jim300ex
08-08-2002, 11:49 PM
ya, I think its actually the government's fault that we have such a hard time finding places to ride leagully. It was the gov. that made all the laws and decisions about people getting hurt on peoples property and sueing!! I say **** athourity, kill the mojority, break the system, then we'll rize against them

oldnumberseven
08-09-2002, 12:34 AM
Grow up! I live here in Southern California, but I own 50,000 acres just outside of Savannah, GA. I lease my land to Union Camp (The worlds 2nd largest papermill) they grow 20 year pine on it. I also lease portions of it to several hunting clubs. I make a nice piece of change off my land.......with that being said! I love riding ATV's....been riding since 83'. BUT, I will not let ANYONE (Other than family) ride on my property. Why?.....you ask.....If some dip***** gets hurt or god forbid killed on my land (even though it is posted) I could be taken to the bank.

My suggestion........Stay off the guys land and stop whining!

TravEX
08-09-2002, 06:05 AM
well said #7,,,

08-09-2002, 06:29 AM
YOU OWN 50,000 ACRES!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE BULL****......

stevengates45
08-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Sportraxboy10
oh some people are just like that. if hes rich i doubt ur gonna get ur trails back:(

Yep true, same thing happened over here cept little different. Rich guy owns land finds trails & wont let you ride. Oh well

stocktires
08-09-2002, 06:12 PM
Im with seven,
On my grandmaw's land (1,000 acres) we wont let anyone go back there but close friends and family (and she has posted signs everywhere).
Like seven said, some people are just looking to get hurt and when they do get hurt ON YOUR LAND, you will suffer.
If you want land to ride on, make friends with the people who own land and ask to ride respectfully.
you know those people who set a bad example for the sport? Your're one of them...

lil400exman
08-09-2002, 06:53 PM
stock u couldnt of asid it betta this was happening in my street i slowly and they al became my frinds and i have even got people riding quads and db's now and once a new neighbor moved in and was callin cops left and right until we made a change we all invited him riding and stuff got on his good side and he and his son own a xr100 and a xr400r its all bout being tactful u would be surprised;) :D the whole time u tlakin to people and ask em if they think ur machine is to loud and try to relate it always works for me lol try it buddies:macho wide open!

08-09-2002, 07:49 PM
yeah but if u own that much land u gotta let somne guys ride there...it would be kinda cool to get cops chasin ya on quad round here they ride polaris....id let em catch right up to me if i could and take off haha i wish i saw some of em

stocktires
08-09-2002, 07:56 PM
"some guys" will then turn into 100 guys (no matter what, it will), then you have an EXTREMELY HUGE liability (sp?) on your hands. Where i ride alot they have guys getting seriously hurt every weekend, last weekend a guy somehow got a foot-peg THROUGH his leg (the idiot was wearing sandals on his banshee).
something like that every weekend WILL sooner or lata turn into a lawsuit that you wont win.

Punk13rym
08-09-2002, 09:07 PM
the town thats next to me the cops there have a banshee. but there not going to keep up in the woods.

One_Bad_400
08-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by oldnumberseven
Grow up! I live here in Southern California, but I own 50,000 acres just outside of Savannah, GA. I lease my land to Union Camp (The worlds 2nd largest papermill) they grow 20 year pine on it. I also lease portions of it to several hunting clubs. I make a nice piece of change off my land.......with that being said! I love riding ATV's....been riding since 83'. BUT, I will not let ANYONE (Other than family) ride on my property. Why?.....you ask.....If some dip***** gets hurt or god forbid killed on my land (even though it is posted) I could be taken to the bank.

My suggestion........Stay off the guys land and stop whining!

well, then you're a b!tch too, before this all happened we tried to get him to sign papers saying we would not sue if hurt on his land, and we would not ride on certain parts of the land, also, my dad is not great friends with him but knows him and is on good terms with him, he is just a B!TCH, like YOU!, if any rider owns 50,000 acres and doesn't share it(even if he charges a small entrance fee) is NOT a true rider, he/she is a selfish B!TCH!!!!

Lorduss
08-10-2002, 12:28 AM
"well, then you're a b!tch too, before this all happened we tried to get him to sign papers saying we would not sue if hurt on his land, and we would not ride on certain parts of the land, also, my dad is not great friends with him but knows him and is on good terms with him, he is just a B!TCH, like YOU!, if any rider owns 50,000 acres and doesn't share it(even if he charges a small entrance fee) is NOT a true rider, he/she is a selfish B!TCH!!!!"

Before you start slinging words around, Wise up!

A good laweyer can walk all over any signed paper, saying anything.
especially prenubs in marrages, they dont mean crap, if she gets a good laweyer, she takes half and often more.

the risk isnt worth it,
my dad lived in san diago for a while, he offroaded in the santee sand pits. after a while, a couple people got hurt there and sewed, he had cops come out and chase every one out,
the owner just couldnt handle it. its not cheap to pay for some azzhole that sews you for his own stupid mistake

mind you, one of the people who sewed was a guy who got on a 3 wheller with *** his kids and drove off a 8 foot cliff, severly injurying everyone, do you think that was cheap for the owner to pay ? i hate people like you, you think. Oh, your rich, you can just pay for it.

Grow up man, Your lost, i dont hang out with beggers like you for a reasion.

thats why theres not many tracks eather,
its a sad thing that this CAN happen, it effects every alternative extrem sport there is.
but thats life.

08-10-2002, 11:37 AM
oh for god sakes grow up. too bad rico aint here... i see the mans point, all of you are talking like you just want to raise ****. and it happened to my grandmother, somebody got hurt and sued her. i aggree that it must be a b!tch having nowhere to ride and all but you did say the only way to the other riding areas is through his land, well ever think to ask him if you can quickly move straight through his property to get to these coveted areas? ask, and you might be surprised on the answer. offer to keep the trails clean and maybe even start up a club. just please, STOP B!TCHING!

RobG
08-10-2002, 01:22 PM
The point of all this is liability. Thanks to the lack of personal responsibility in this country (due to the liberals), this is why we have land owners refusing to let us ride.

As much as I dislike land owners who won't let people ride on them, I have to respect their decision because of the legal problems it can cause.

What I would like to see is some sort of federal law to protect land owners from lawsuits if they allow public recreation on it. Perhaps this is something that could be devised by some of the off-road groups and try to push it through congress. Something that might defer liabililty to the state's BLM, which is usually the entity that controls lands that ARE legal for riding. If you get hurt on BLM land, who do you sue? The BLM? And I bet they have a legal team capable of dealing with it.

Rob

Lorduss
08-10-2002, 01:41 PM
"What I would like to see is some sort of federal law to protect land owners from lawsuits if they allow public recreation on it. Perhaps this is something that could be devised by some of the off-road groups and try to push it through congress. Something that might defer liabililty to the state's BLM, which is usually the entity that controls lands that ARE legal for riding. If you get hurt on BLM land, who do you sue? The BLM? And I bet they have a legal team capable of dealing with it.
"

i support that idea

One_Bad_400
08-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Lorduss: i'm NOT a begger, i have money and everything thing else i want, besides land to ride on(i have about 4 acres) and i didn't mean to offend anybody in this post, it's just that i was pissed that i just got my new quad and now i have nowhere to ride, that's all. alot of this post was supposed to be about the cops on quads anyway, i thought that was actually kind of cool, me and my friends had thought about it before, but i never thought it would actually happen

again, i didn't mean to get on anybody's bad side because of this post, and i understand the liability thing, i have it for my pool, because a few people have gotten seriously hurt in it, and one did threaten to sue(but after cooling down decided not to)

Lorduss
08-11-2002, 01:05 AM
"it's just that i was pissed that i just got my new quad and now i have nowhere to ride,"

yeah, you have 4 acres and you whine you have no where to ride? give me a break, i live in the concret jungle of Orange county, southern californa, i have to drive an hour and a half to glen helen/cajon pass, or 3 hours to octillo wells, 4 and a half to glamis, and i couldnt fit my quad into my backyard.
you have 4 acres how the **** can you whine ?
if i had a 1/10th of that id have a jump setup at least,
burms, heck, id have a blast riding if had a half acre.

One_Bad_400
08-11-2002, 09:22 AM
most of that land is wooded, and in the wooded part i have a few trails, but after you've riden the same 5 trails over and over for 6 years, they get old, and i have two jumps already, they are about 4 ft. tall and 12 feet long, so they are too small for me to jump anymore, and nobody will help me fix them, and it is hard to build a hold jump with a few bricks, one shovel and one wheel barrel, but hopefully i will rent a Bobcat or something soon to help build them

Leo
08-11-2002, 05:45 PM
get everyone together, form a club... charge enough dues to go out and buy your own liability insurance, generate a positive image for ATV's, get some legit trails going etc.. then after the club is established I'm sure if you investigated some type of legal arrangement to get from one trail system to another you might have a different outcome..

on the flip-side, the more folks that trespass / rip up / irritate the land owner, the less your chances of ever getting any type of arrangement made..

the first ones to comlain about a land closure are usually the ones who caused most of the problems.. The guys not hiring security on quads for no reason, this must be an ongoing and constant problem...

Leo

Lorduss
08-11-2002, 05:58 PM
trees in your way ? **** cut em down,
it cant be to hard to make that jump, whats your soil like ?
ive dug in clay dirt for hours just to make bmx jumps, id love to help, heck get rocks and any other crap you can, as much as id like to say use wood like glen helen does to make tunnels under the jump, but wood roots, get that bob cat, 40 bucks a day.

and about 10 bucks in deisle.

stocktires
08-11-2002, 06:08 PM
$40 a day?
their $240 a day here, lol

One_Bad_400
08-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Lorduss: thanx for not taking what i said personaly, i think i am going to rent a Bobcat soon to clear out a little and build a few more good jumps

also, about the guys land, the other guys that ride on it have pretty much now stopped because they were caught by the cops and landowner, so i think after people have stopped and the owner has cooled down a little i will go to him and talk to him about me and a few friends riding there

08-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Wow is this interesting, we blame the liberals, the rich land owners, the dirt bikers and atv'ers, the lawyers (you guys seemed to miss this one:p ) the mothers and fathers, but never seem to find any fault with ourselves.

Sure if the lawyers didnt get greedy, and the mothers and fathers didnt need some way to feel less guilt or get revenge, and if the politicians (liberal or not :D ) didnt need to do something while they were chasing the secretary for their whole term, and land owners didnt get sued or just be crazy about someone unknown on their property, and lastly the off roaders just didnt go off road this whole problem would be gone.

Sadly the only thing that seems to be happening is that they (those who are against our sport aka eco nazi's, grieving parents, politicians etc) are finding new laws and ways to keep us out of more and more riding areas.

Why the fault is within ourselves is our lack of political activity, our lazy excuses not to properly train the younger riders (yes even if they are not your son/daughter etc correct the little buggers, you owe it to our sport), our enjoyment of the adreneline rush from fleeing, and mostly just our lack of ability to get organized as a group (local or national) and take controll of our own destiny.

When was the last time you were at a town meeting or any other political function? Were all busy and this works against us, it appears that many of us are also "cheap" and not willing to put up the bucks to have professionals pitch in for us as a group since we dont have the time. I think most of the people faced with problems with their current riding area will just find a new one and thats not going to help anything.

Have any of the GA riders offered to put up a few thousand to pay for an ins policy to cover old no7 and then use his property? Well maybe a few thousand wouldnt be enough if the company knew of the intended use but it would cover several million in liabilty coverage on a land or home owner policy even here in NJ.

I for one would love to be able to cover someones butt and get a great riding area in return( its a lot cheaper than any of the land I have priced here), but I know I would have problems selling the idea (the money thing again) to that many other riders.

There is a very small legal riding park about 1- 11/2 hours from anyware in NJ and every one who I have talked to who isnt a member claims that they ride for free and why should they pay. After a few summons and tickets etc most will soften up a little. This place is way too small but its all we got around here for now and they cant fit 20% of their membership on the same day.

And now the whole cycle starts over again since there isnt anyplace to ride.

So lets stop the rat race and everyone put their heads together and find an answer, then put in the work needed to make it happen, and count me in.

(sorry guys that was damn long)

oldnumberseven
08-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Sorry to bust your bubble buddy, but some people aren't poor!

As you can see from some of these post some people are morons!

Call me a B!TCH! But I am a b!tch that will be living his life in comfort, while you bag groceries for the rest of you life.

Sorry to disapoint you but because I ride an ATV does mean I am obligated to let a few jack***** kids kill them selves on my land and cost my everything I have worked for! Yes the word I used was WORK.......TRY IT.BUY SOME LAND....I will bet you 5k that you will look at this situation very differently.

Originally posted by 440 EX BY RCR
YOU OWN 50,000 ACRES!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE BULL****......

08-11-2002, 10:49 PM
TRY IT.BUY SOME LAND....I will bet you 5k that you will look at this situation very differently

Your not kidding!

I had an interesting thing happen a few years back when a younger friend had wiped real bad on his first ride on the new bike while riding on one of my cousins land.

Interesting how the insurance co just forked over 180,000.00+ when he was tresspassing and not wearing any safety equip at all and had no experience and did get permission from both his parents before going out riding his new gift.

Sad he messed up his face/eye real bad and will never heal completely but I still cant see how our court system allows this crap to continue. Around here they call hurting yourself stupidly while tresspassing "an attractive nuisense" and there have been cases where the owner had put up all kinds of posting, locks and fences etc and the courts have found for the plaintiff.

I guess it all comes down to the natural sympathies of any parent overiding the common sense part of the brain, or maybe we all just think that the ins co money drops from the sky and doesnt cost us anything in the long run.

Rastus
08-12-2002, 09:05 AM
The same thing happened to me dude.

I was riding my neighbors land one day, and he came up and asked nicely if i would stop because his insurance man didnt like it. I said sure(were in a close community and my family has known these people for atleast 20 years) A couple days later i asked if my parents and i could sign a paper saying we wouldnt sue, etc, then have it notarized. I didnt really get an answer, but ill have to find out soon, cause thats a nice riding place :)

At no point in time was i mean about it,or i didnt be retarded about it.I was courteaous , but still he's kind of iffy about it, and doesnt want me to get hurt cause(again were a cloce community).

But I told him that im a responsible ATVer, and wouldnt get hurt. He's still thinking about it.

my main point is: be nice and courteaous, and be willing to deal with him .

quadman21
08-12-2002, 10:28 AM
I've been reading this thread for the past few minutes. I think we all feel passionate about loosing places to ride. Whether you believe oldnumberseven owns 50,000 or 100,000 acres he obvioulsy has experience with dealing with the whole "let me ride on your land" issue. I live in southwest VA and there's land EVERYWHERE but no one will let you ride it for all the reasons you have all spoke about. I used to live in CT and i had an awsome place to ride in Middletown. Some of you CT riders may even ride there now, but it's different and very illegal! Times change and there's nothing we can do about it. What our focus should be on is how to diplomatically talk with landowners to allow us to ride on their land. I have tried with posting flyers with gas stations and running ads in local newspapers but with no luck. Maybe an idea would be for a few people to get together and lease their own land to ride on. If any of you have had luck getting landowners to allow you to ride...please tell me how to do it!

toby400ex
08-14-2002, 11:49 PM
i have had bad problems like that me and my friends have been riding the same trails for years and now they are being developed. so today me and my buddy are going to our only good jump that happens to be in the middle of the construction site, my buddy stops to ask if it was ok then one of the hicks gets off his tractor and asks for id and then pulls my buddys key out of his recon, then he starts going for mine and i just gun it and he starts grabbin my handle bars and i go into a wheelie and roost the fooker and am home in minutes. i feel sorry for my friend( bein slow and all in the head and on his recon but i wasnt going to let that stupid hick touch my babies key.

toby400ex
08-15-2002, 12:05 AM
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa biaaaaaaaaaaa

08-15-2002, 04:25 AM
I agree , its not cool to lose ur riding areas, but when it is private property, you cant really be mad @ the man, id run you punks off too :blah j/k

Crowdog
08-23-2002, 04:41 PM
Here's something interesting......

Recreational Limited Liability for Private Landowners

OMAHA, Nebraska, August 22, 2002 (ENS) - The National Park Service Midwest Region's Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program has announced the availability of a new brochure "Recreational Use Statutes and The Private Landowner."
It is a customized brochure for each of the 48 states that have legislation on limited liability for landowners allowing recreational use of their property.

"Many private landowners are willing to allow people to recreate on their properties, but worry that they may be liable if someone is injured on their land," said Equestrian Land Conservation Resource Executive Director Kandee Haertel. "We want people to be more comfortable with the law and have a better understanding of their rights and responsibilities."

The brochure contains a brief description of the conditions and responsibilities of both the landowner and recreational users. Each state has its own legislation, but the common thread is that landowners are not required to maintain safe premises or to warn people of hazardous conditions.

People entering land for recreation enter at their own risk. The brochure also includes each state's specific law title and contacts for more information.

American Association for Horsemanship Safety President Jan Dawson said, "The availability of this information should result in a safer equestrian community by enabling riding on private lands rather than on dangerous highway rights of way."

Brochure available: http://www.ncrc.nps.gov/programs/rtca/HelpfulTools/ht_publications.html

kicken250x
08-23-2002, 06:05 PM
at one of my favorit riding spots we are going through this with one of the land owners there. there is a place that you ride right on the edge of his land its only like 1 foot on his land but yes we are still on his land. i will try to give him that bouchure the next time we go out and see what he says about it or even get us to sign a disclamer saying the we cant do nothing if we get hurt but pick our chit up and move on with it. the funny part about it is we dont even know how the guy found out we were riding on his land. we have a bunch of vines we pull over the trail on both sides when we get in or leave them and you cant even come close to hearing the bikes even if u were running strait pipes so we have no clue how he found out just one day he was sitting in the middle of the trail on his tractor and started cussing at us. he could have atleast been a little nicer about it...

08-23-2002, 07:40 PM
i lost 20 acres of trails due to jackasses running through the corn fields. who should i be mad at.. the owner or the people that came out and tore **** up..

liability isn't the only issue..theres to many *******s that come out.. tear **** up... get the owner mad.. then get mad when he kicks us all out..how would you like it if i was tearin ruts in your front yard...

You should really think about who you should be mad at.

08-25-2002, 02:02 AM
Kick him in the nads.....yayaya...