PDA

View Full Version : do you use masterlinks?

TacomaNC4X4
05-24-2006, 09:36 PM
i was just wondering how many people used the masterlinks when they got new chains? i never can get the clip on so i usely just take a punch and flatten the end like all the other links. but im having a hard time doin it this time and its pissen me off. whats the easiest way to get that clip on there?

DieselBoy
05-24-2006, 10:02 PM
insert the link, push the clip on so it's touching the links, get a straight (flat) screwdriver, put it on the end and smack it in with a hammer.

400exrules
05-24-2006, 10:03 PM
i couldnt get mine on, so i called my friend who races dirtbikes and he came over and used a c clamp, and put the link on, and put two objects (nuts, or sockets) over the pins in the link and compressed it down with the c clamp, took the clamp off and popped the clip on. its pretty much impossible to do without a clamp

DieselBoy
05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
tip: always join them on the big sprocket. once you get the flat screwdriver on the end, all you need is a swift smack and she will pop right in.

edit: if it's the new masterlinks that are pressed in i have no clue.

bwamos
05-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by TacomaNC4X4
i was just wondering how many people used the masterlinks when they got new chains? i never can get the clip on so i usely just take a punch and flatten the end like all the other links. but im having a hard time doin it this time and its pissen me off. whats the easiest way to get that clip on there?

Let me guess.. DID chain??? ;)

I always had to take a drill/dremel and ever so slightly ream out the holes on the plate so they would fit onto the studs. I think when they make the groove on the stud it tends to flare the metal out slightly, and causes the plate hang up at the edge of the grooves.

EXevan91
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
yeah the DID 520 o-ring chain clips dont go on for some reason but if u go to a dealer and get a new master link that clip will go on no problem... its a defect.

DieselBoy
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
the regular links with the clip work just fine

TacomaNC4X4
05-25-2006, 08:41 PM
aight i got it. i got another clip while at work today and slaped that bad boy right on there. but yeah its a DID chain