PDA

View Full Version : speed

Butters
08-08-2002, 08:00 PM
what mods could i put on my 300ex to give it more top end without sacrificing much if any power?

eldoexrider01
08-08-2002, 08:58 PM
besides motor work. go down to 20" tires. 400ex stockers are light and will have less rotating weight and put a 14T on it. that might work since i dunno whatu got on ur ride already

Butters
08-08-2002, 09:14 PM
right now i have a dg pipe and k&n filter. had planned on getting a 14t sprocket and new tires but didn't know what to go with either the razr 20's or 22's. so should i go with the 20's?

jchevy
08-08-2002, 09:21 PM
Going to a smaller rear tire will slow down your the top end.

Butters
08-08-2002, 09:25 PM
so i should get the 22's then?

jchevy
08-08-2002, 09:55 PM
With one revolution of a 20" tire you will travel a shorter distance than with one revolution of a 22" tire. So, your bike will have to rev higher with the 20" tire to go the same speed as an identical bike with a 22" tire. Your bike only revs to a certain point so with the 22" tire you will have a higher top speed, the higher you rev the bigger this speed difference becomes. A bigger tire will slow acceleration some. I also believe a 15t front sproket is stock(correct me if im wrong) So moving down a tooth to a 14 will also slow top speed, but give more acceleration. Im not sure you will be able to improve top end without sacrificing low end, unless you modifying the motor. Basically you will need a really torqy motor and have to regear for top speed. If you gear for top speed with a stock motor it wont have the power to accelerate you very quickly.

Anyone feel free to corrrect me where i am wrong.

stocktires
08-08-2002, 11:25 PM
jchevy,
Im pretty sure the 300ex doesnt have a 15 tooth front sproket. think about it. Ya just gave a lecture on gearing and then saying a small 300ex motor would use a 15 tooth front sproket and 23 or so inch rear tires, lol? Its 13 tooth, im pretty sure.

Hondaextreme,
To get more top-end by gearing, you'll have to sacrafice bottom. From the factory, Honda geared the 300ex probably with the most efficient gearing.
So If you gear the 300ex UP say 20%, you'd probably lose about 25-30% bottom end power.
If you want more top-end, get the 400ex rear tires, and a 14 tooth sproket (lighter tires and less resistance with the bigger sproket cuz the chain doesnt flex as much around the bigger sproket). You could even go with a 15 tooth sproket if you wana sacrafice a bit of bottom end.
Then look into buying a drop in Cam, 38pe carb, Or exhaust pipe (maybe even a better muffler).