PDA

View Full Version : Topping it off

CGriff
05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey guys I have a question for you experts. I have been putting oil in my 400ex every few days.. it's a 2003 and I drive it pretty hard. Theres no smoke comming out of the exhaust anywhere, and there are no oil leaks. Where is my oil going, it has me concerned that im heading towards a rebuild. Any help we be appreciated!
CGriff

miller821
05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Yep, mines doing that to... I didn't notice it cause I can't see smoke, but everyone I ride with tells me that it smells like burnt oil so bad when they follow me... The best way to check is put your hand behind the exhaust and blip it after its warmed up... I kept seeing black, and some of it might of been Carbon, but I know alot of it was oil.

JOEX
05-24-2006, 08:21 PM
How are you checking the level?

Make sure the motor is warm and has idled for several minutes (very important) before turning off and let it set for about 5 minutes before checking.

How much more are you putting in each time? How much do you ride?

CGriff
05-25-2006, 09:04 AM
well I put a piece of computer paper at the end of the exhaust and still could see no smoke, no oil residue was left on the paper either any other advice guys?
Should I tear her down?

miller821
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by CGriff
well I put a piece of computer paper at the end of the exhaust and still could see no smoke, no oil residue was left on the paper either any other advice guys?
Should I tear her down?
Theres gotta be a reason somehow or another... Check it like Joe stated, and check all around the oil drain plugs, make sure there not leaking any where, and check around your oil filter cover.. Also check around where your header goes into the head at... If you still don't see anything then I would suggest tearing into it checking things out...