PDA

View Full Version : had a bad accident today....

4oorider
05-24-2006, 10:40 AM
In woodshop today, I was using the Jointer and i was using all the right equipment and saftey stuff. I also was using my fingers to get the wood through the jointer. all of the sudden the wood just shoots out from under me and my fingers go right into the blade. I did nothing wrong and it was no ones fault. I tore off a good chunk off my index finger and even took a small chip off the bone and ripped the crap out of my middle and ring finger. Now i have stiches for 10 days and we'll go from there. Dont call me dumb or anything cuz i was using all the proper tools and stuff. Its just the wood shot out from under me and my hand went into the blade. No ones fault. Nothing could have been done to prevent this.

HiperEX
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
whats the deal these days with everyone hurtin there fingers last week i was checkin the tension on my chain and pulled down on the grab bar to put some leverage on it and musta pulled back as i pushed down and there goes my finger through the rear sprocket and chain took off the finger from the nail and broke a bone in 3, going to the doc today for checkup hopefully i can start riding again next weekend

troutman561
05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Must have taken a bit long than usual for both of you to type here.....

Mxjunkie
05-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by HiperEX
whats the deal these days with everyone hurtin there fingers last week i was checkin the tension on my chain and pulled down on the grab bar to put some leverage on it and musta pulled back as i pushed down and there goes my finger through the rear sprocket and chain took off the finger from the nail and broke a bone in 3, going to the doc today for checkup hopefully i can start riding again next weekend

OUCH :eek2:

HiperEX
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
yeah im hopein to have a few pics of it up tonight
dont have anythin from what it looked like right after i got it outta the chain though

ShiftFMX
05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
there goes my finger through the rear sprocket and chain took off the finger

man...I gotta keep reading before I react! :eek2: :p

4oorider
05-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by troutman561
Must have taken a bit long than usual for both of you to type here.....

that it did:chinese:

rmz250
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
It happens man, today I got this hunge *** chunk of wood stuck in the sander. scared the hell out of me lol.

4oorider
05-24-2006, 01:44 PM
i had that happen a few times as well, not with the sander though. Another time, someone was using the table saw, and the wood shot out and went right past me. What a close call. Crap happens.

theTman
05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
ive almost cut many fingrs off on the scroll saw..got my thumb a few times with the dremel too

cjj
05-24-2006, 03:43 PM
When i was 2 or 3 on easter day. I was at my grandmas and she had a marry go round.. end up getting scared and stuck my thumb in the belt. I still rember the blood gushing down my arm. O well when i turn 18 i get a decent chunk of change thanks to home owners insurance.

250rAL
05-25-2006, 07:32 AM

I keep hearing of this happening. How in the world do you check the tension on a moving chain? And why?!!!

Stevie-D
05-25-2006, 02:52 PM
lmao. i had something like that happen to me at work a few months back. i install kitchens, and i was cutting some 1x4''s to use as spacers. i was cutting quick, not paying attention, and a the last piece that i cut stayed on the miter box. the blade grabbed that and holy ****:p i thought i cut my thumb off. here the piece of one-by slammed my thumb into the guide, and the force actually popped the end of my thumb open.

had another incident with a circular saw.:huh
dont remember why the hell i was doing it, but i was attempting to rip a piece of 1x1 in half with the saw. me being a genious, i held the piece with one hand while cutting with the other. i had a screw holding the guard open. :D
well wouldnt you know that if you cock the blade just slightly it makes the saw want to jump backwards?:devil: that thing came at me so quick i about **** myself. put a nice slit in my hand between my thumb and index finger. right down the the bone. i'll take a picture of the scar later:D

Quad Boy 660r
05-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 4oorider
Another time, someone was using the table saw, and the wood shot out

Similar shop class story. My bud was cutting something on the table saw and as he pushed it threw, it caught,shot and hit him right above his sack. He bent over for a sec and shook it off pretty quickly. Had it been about 2-3 inches lower...

400exstud
05-25-2006, 03:25 PM
In woodshop today, I was using the Jointer and i was using all the right equipment and saftey stuff. I also was using my fingers to get the wood through the jointer. all of the sudden the wood just shoots out from under me and my fingers go right into the blade. I did nothing wrong and it was no ones fault. I tore off a good chunk off my index finger and even took a small chip off the bone and ripped the crap out of my middle and ring finger. Now i have stiches for 10 days and we'll go from there. Dont call me dumb or anything cuz i was using all the proper tools and stuff. Its just the wood shot out from under me and my hand went into the blade. No ones fault. Nothing could have been done to prevent this.

That is vary believeable. A few weeks ago in woods, I was jointing the face of an 8" wide board a few times to get clean. It was a peice of black walnut and had a really messed up grain pattern and as soon as I got about half way through it started to dance. The teacher was right behind me and watched what I did and he said that there was really nothing else that can be done.

HiperEX
05-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 250rAL
I keep hearing of this happening. How in the world do you check the tension on a moving chain? And why?!!!

the quad wasnt running niether was the chain i probably should have put it into gear so if somethin did happend which did it wouldnt move i pulled down on the grab bar to put tension on the chain and accidently pulled it backwards at the same time while i had my hand there at the wrong time :ermm:

HiperEX
05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
heres a pic its gettin better

SGA
05-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
i was cutting some 1x4''s to use as spacers. i was cutting quick, not paying attention, and the last piece that i cut stayed on the miter box. the blade grabbed that and holy ****:p i thought i cut my thumb off.

had another incident with a circular saw.:huh
me being a genious, i held the piece with one hand while cutting with the other.
i had a screw holding the guard open. put a nice slit in my hand between my thumb and index finger, right down the the bone.

Ive been around heavy equipment and power tools for years and have had some close calls myself.

I quoted you to point out it only takes a second to loose a finger, eye or worse.
Also Ive learned, comman sense and safety first!

miller821
05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
One of my shop teachers cut his arm off using the lathe at school one year:eek2: Now he runs his hand that it happened to through the acetlyene (SP)* torch.. Pretty crazy.

DieselBoy
05-25-2006, 11:20 PM
yeah ive also had some damn close calls with machinery/tools. i always wear eyewear now cause of how easily you can lose your vision, I NEVER use my air nailer/saws/etc without them I've had too many close calls thinking "ah, i dont need it this'll just take a second" and then bang... i really hate when our big scroll saw grabs the piece being cut off and whips it across the shop really fast, thing's like that... Ive really badly cut my finger on a bandsaw, man did that hurt. Better safe than sorry! I never liked the jointer at all, that thing is wicked dangerous.

ugottabayou
05-25-2006, 11:32 PM
I also was using my fingers to get the wood through the jointer.

In the woodshop at my school, we are not allowed to use just our hands to put the board through the jointer. We line the board up with our fingers then start pushing it through, but we are told that our hands should not go 6 inches (i think) from the blade. When it gets to that point where are hands are that close, we use another piece of wood (smaller piece) to continue pushing the board through.. But no matter what our shop teacher makes sure our hands do not go within 6 inches from that blade.

That really sucks about your hand, hope it gets better! :macho

bad01300ex
05-25-2006, 11:33 PM
I almost cut two fingers off with a Lawn mower:scary:

The finger that was the worst had 15 stiches, the top of it was hangin off:ermm:

aman
05-26-2006, 07:21 AM
I took a nice sized board to the gut in shop when i was using the table saw to rip a board and when i was puttin in through it caught somehow and did like a 360 and came back around at me......hurt a lil bit a got a nice bruise but nothin too serious

Stevie-D
05-27-2006, 03:52 AM
I quoted you to point out it only takes a second to loose a finger, eye or worse.

i've finally come to realize that. havent had any close calls since. another fact that comes into play for me is that if i lose a few fingers or a hand, i am out of work, and will have to persue another type of career. as promised, here is a picture of what that circular saw did to me:eek2: