PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Help???

blubyyou
05-23-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm the process of building an 88r from the frame up and gathering pieces and parts here and there. Well I've just bought my complete engine and I'm getting ready to set it in the new PC'd lolly pop blue frame...there is a wire with a plug in (2 prong) and two other wires with individual plug-ins coming from the case( I assume from the stator). I have not purchased any other electrical components yet and I do not plan to wire the bike up for lights or a on/off key switch...just a push button kill and a tether kill switch for the safety. My question is what all will I need and what year harness and CDI boxes will work? I just don't want to purchase the wrong stuff? I'm new to the 250r's and have always rode banshee's for the most part....I've always wanted an R and build it my way.....so that's what I'm trying to do. Please don't flame me....I have used the seach button and I realy am not sure of everything I seen. I just want to do this right. Please help...sorry for the long post.

TheFontMaster
05-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Any year wireing harness will work with any year motor. I know some years of the wireing harnesses aren't avalable anymore. But check out servicehonda.com, and get a wireing harness off there. The coils, and CDI's are also the same more or less. I have a stock CDI for sale if you want it. The new harnesses from service honda come compleate with everything for the factory on/off, and light switch, and all the wiring for the lights. But the 250r wireing is pretty simple. The motor will run without the factory stop switch pluged in, so just put those wires to the side, zip tie them to the frame or sometime. The same goes with the wires for the lights. You never know, if you ever sell it the next owner might want lights, or who knows, your tastes might change, and maybe in a year you will want the lights.

blubyyou
05-23-2006, 08:15 PM
give me a price on the cdi....I may be interested in it. So I need to buy a harness, coil, and cdi box...86-89 and it should all plug in with each other? Keep em coming this helps a LOT!!!!

TheFontMaster
05-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm looking to get about 30 for the CDI, plus about 5 dollars for shipping.

MossboysRacing
05-23-2006, 09:14 PM
The wiring is real simple. The FontMaster has it right. I'm running an 85atc motor with an 88-89 wiring harness. I bought it off bikebandit.com for like $90. I don't run any lights or factory on/off switches. All i run is the main wiring harness, Coil, and CDI. I use a RickyStator stator and flywheel, but that doesn't change the wiring. I just taped off all the other plug end's you don't use. I use a pro-design tether kill switch, and that just wire's to the coil and ground. Hope this helps, John