PDA

View Full Version : electrical problems?

400exrider36
05-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Oook so ive been having a problem with my yfz.... sometimes it will run just great, othertimes it will backfire alot on deceleration, and most of the time, it will just shut off whenever it feels like it. When this happens, it will idle just fine, but once i give it gas, even the slightest touch of the throttle, it quits....i let go, it idles fine. If i pin it, it will rev to however high of rpms it can go in 1 second (or whatever time it is) and quit. If im going down the road in gear and it does this, when i let off the throttle when its quiting, it backfires. This has all brang me to the conclusion that this has to be electrical. But what idn. I cant really check the spark, because its past idle in which it does this, and it does it when it feels like doing for about 5 minute periods. It may be a loose connection, something wrong with the cdi box, etc. If anyone has any idea what this could be, please give me some pointers. Theres a possibility im selling this but need to fix this first!

Thanks!

400exrider36
05-24-2006, 02:24 PM
ok thank you very much!!!!!

Moded86R
05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Right after I got my 450 it started dying when you pulled the cluch in.It would fire up in neutral or by popstarting it.BUt as soon as you pulled the clutch in it died.

I followed the wires from the clutch perch and disconnected them under the front plastic.

400exrider36
06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
ok so ive replaced the stator, regulator/recticifier, the rev box, and the coil. STILL THE SAME PROBLEM:mad:

400exrider36
06-28-2006, 09:32 AM
i have a trail tech recticifier and my jetting is exactly that. the dealer did it for me cause they thought it was the carb too, but it only does it sometimes. i think its a bad connection because when i fiddle with the wires under the "hood' it seems to run much better for awhile, but i just cant pinpoint where it is...

400exrider36
06-28-2006, 09:40 AM
its stock....

hartnett18
06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
my friend has the exact same problem. it bogs out and backfires and starts when it feels like it off and on. we thought it was the killswich beacuse when you moved it it would crank up when you found a sweet spot then he got a new one and same problem. ive had my 06 not for very long and dont get me wrong i love the yfz but they are nothing but electrical problems. yamaha needs to figure it out they say they fixed it for 06 but they didnt do a good job ive heard many 06 owners at the track with problems. but idk man its frustrating when you wanna ride and theirs always somthing wrong. i know how you feel.

intruder
06-30-2006, 05:11 AM
What are the problems with the 06 that you have heard at the track I got one and haven't had any troubles. What should I look for since so many people are having problems?

hartnett18
06-30-2006, 08:18 AM
well mine had a big problem where when you pull in the clutch the bike started and every time i went to shift my bike it would engage the starter. which drained the battery after 30 minutes of riding. and ive heard of the battery problems on some 06. but yamaha told me it was a voltage wire that had blown out but idk i had it for about 3 weeks when it did that and i was on a dune trip and it messed up the first day so i was upset but they fixed it and now its running fine

400exrider36
06-30-2006, 09:51 AM
ok, i finnally thought of something that i really hope is the problem. ok well last week, one of my stator wires came loose, so the battery did not get charged so it quickly went dead. it didnt hold a charge very good in the first place. when i hook my battery charger up to the battery it sounds like its boiling after a few minutes... well, ive come to the conclusion that my battery is shot, because it is dead at pretty much all times now...and well, its obvious. my HID lights cant even stay on for very long because there is not enough power, so they just shut off.
awhile ago, my positive battery terminal connector(part of the wire) snapped off, and it ran terrible, very similair to this problem im having.
Anyway, im gunna try a new battery....

400exrider36
06-30-2006, 07:28 PM
ok, well. that didnt work either. i was told the guy at my local shop said it could be the decompression valve sticking open.... but im not sure what that means....

400exrider36
06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
well i tried the dealer in duluth, which is supposed to be the best around, but they insisted that it was a jetting problem and charged me 100$ for puting in a new fuel screw.... (it didnt fix the problem) maybe ill find a new dealer or just argue with them again....

400exrider36
07-05-2006, 02:26 PM
yes i know i go there all the time but the are Very expensive... i think ill talk to them and the dealer and see which sounds better

400exrider36
10-21-2006, 07:43 PM
ok well sorry to bring an old thread back, but i finally found the problem... the throttle postioning sensor in the carb wasnt functioning right, so i just bypassed it and now it runs great.... ive heard this is illegal? well its just till i get it fixed.. so i was all excited that i can ride my quad again, so i took off down the trail and the crank bearings go out and the quad locks up.... i have terrible luck.. im trading it in for something else once i get it fixed again.. but idn what to get. if i get a quad, it would be an ltr, if i got a dirtbike, its between an RM250 and a CRF450.... just thought maybe i could get a few opinions on these bikes

450rJam
10-22-2006, 11:51 AM
that new crf450 is insane...........
your going to need a pair to play with that.

that sucks about your quad.

there is a big diff. between the ltr/rm250/and crf450
what type riding do you do?

400exrider36
10-22-2006, 12:15 PM
well im into more offroad freestyle riding, but im probably gunna race it too....

450rJam
10-22-2006, 12:29 PM
I have only rode one crf450 with exhaust and a few bolt ons and it was almost too fast.
didnt matter how fast or what rpm range you where running,
just crack the throttle and hang on (with arms,hands,legs, hell reach up and bite the bar pad)
it feels like its going to crawl out from under you and the front end will stay in the air forever.

been a while since I was on a 250rm but they run good,
(not going to hang with the 450 I.M.O)

I have not rode the ltr450 but I have drag raced a couple.
my 450r gets the best of them in a straight line but on the mx track they carve the corners harder than I can.

400exrider36
10-25-2006, 02:33 PM
yeah well this is like the 4th time its done this... and im sick of the dealer blameing it on something i did, i change the oil once a week, maybe once every 2 if i only ride it like 2 days each week... and they think i havent changed it since i bought it last year.... and they said i need to prove that ive changed the oil by showing them all my receipts...which i dont keep! so yeah im just fixing it myself this time... isnt there lemon laws on quads? lol cause i havent heard of anyone else having this much bad luck with a yfz..