PDA

View Full Version : 14:1 Piston and Baldwin MX cam

Scott270R
05-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Has anyone tried this combo together? Does anyone know the specs of this cam? I recently bought a 450R and it had the exhaust so I ordered the piston and cam to compliment.

Airik79mx
05-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Mark did my 04 motor, which had that piston and cam, i'd say the cam is similar to the crf cam. Power was great, never had a problem, and great tech support.

Scott270R
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Did you have him port the head too. Mine is all stock, I was hoping this setup would work well on a stock head. I have his exhaust and am getting the intake needle and jets with this setup too. I am hoping this combo will get me close to the 50HP mark with good bottom and midrange and maybe some more top end as well, although top end screaming is not where I will ride all the time. Does anyone know how this cam will be compared to the HRC cam?

Airik79mx
05-24-2006, 02:41 PM
It will work fine with stock head. Here's what mine had..
Pipe, Pro Design, FCR carb, Vortex cdi, Porting, Ti intake valves, Cam, Piston from Baldwin.

I also had the 04-05 HRC cam in it. That cam has more top end with not as much bottom, not the best for mx.

Scott270R
05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
In your opinion, which cam did the best job of acceleration? In my type of racing getting a holeshot is essential to winning. Regardless of dyno charts, the quickest bike from a dead stop to 5th gear will win most of the time flattracking. Is the HRC cam quicker or the Baldwin with each having the best gearing for each respective cam?

ThumPIN_450R
05-25-2006, 09:08 PM
I use that with just the piston and cam and it screams. It was good enough to get me up the start hill at the Payette worcs race in second in the pro-am against all kinds of national built motors. The guy that beat me up the hill was on a full on sparks motor that happened to belong to Logan Holliday before he got it. If you haven't seen the holeshot at Payette it is one big huge hill that requires all kinds of horsepower.