PDA

View Full Version : Any problems

Rip_Tear
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm looking at getting a new 450 (TRX or QuadRacer), but I was wondering if there are/have been any problems with the 450's or weather I should wait till next year and see if Honda steps up or the LT has any problems/fixes? Please no info if it's not fact.

Thanks

rob-u/21
05-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda did step it up for 2006. The new trx450r's are really good compared to 04-05's. As for problems on the LTR's, I have read about some tranny problems, and have read about the frames breaking were the linkage bolts on to. It is not welded all the way around were the bolt goes through. Other than that they are awsome quads. Do a search on the frame and tranny problems.

bwamos
05-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, please. ;)

1) I beleive the linkage mount weld issue has been fixed on all new LT-R's being produced. It was an issue on the first few runs, easily fixed by adding a small weld to the washers on the brackets.

2) Tranny issues? Only issue I've heard of is the tranny making some whining noises. But, from the reports I've heard is that it goes away after you replace the break-in oil with the proper oil. When you say "tranny issues", it sounds like it has bearing or shifting issues... which I do not beleive is the case. I don't think I've heard of more than 1 LT-R that's actually had a tranny blow.

I try to be as unbiased as I can be. I will be upgrading to a 450 this winter. Wich one? I have no idea. ;) All 3 are all GREAT quads. You can't go wrong with any of them.

My opinion on the 3 is it depends on how you fit a quad, riding style, and upgrade plans.

LT-R: Great all around MX/TT/Dune style racer. Perfect for people who want a "semi race-ready" quad, that really only needs a revalve/respring on the shocks, and maybe a new linkage + the normals. Probably not the best choice for XC due to the width. If you're buying new arms/shocks anyway I'd save the money and get the TRX or YFZ.

TRX: Excelent woods quad. Great everywhere else. Great option especially if you plan on upgrading arms/shocks anyway. More of the smooth 4-stroke feel compared to the YFZ. Better fit for the guy's that grew up on 4-strokes.

YFZ: Excelent duner/MX'r. Great everywhere else. Perfect for the guys that grew up on 2-strokes with the lighter flywheel, and peakier power curve.

Granted.. these assesments are based on the 04/05 models of both the TRX and YFZ. From what I've seen (havent ridden), the 06 versions ot the YFZ, TRX, & LT-R are all dang near identical on the power curve. So, in my opinion on the '06's the true deciding factor should be, how does the quad fit you?

quadfam4
05-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Of the quads I have the Suzuki is mainly our family's favorite. $40.00 and a half hour to get 7+ hp over stock. Thumb throttle is as light as any I've seen. Power delivery smooth throughout the entire powerband. Very smooth and stable ride. I'm not dissapointed at all with the stock shocks after some minor adjustments. The only problem I've experienced is a slight coolant leak out of the recovery bottle overflow tube. Over 40 hrs. of running in the Glamis sand. I love it!

Rip_Tear
05-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I'm not sure when (I'd like to to be soon, but I could wait...) I'm going to get a new 450, I'm keeping the 400ex for a woods ATV aswell as for visitors/friends to ride (but not for mx or jumping).

ScooterBike
05-25-2006, 07:52 AM
I have a problem with my LTR, has anyone got the same problem!!??? IT MOVES LIKE HELL!!!!! :devil: :blah: