PDA

View Full Version : how to clean the air filter?

zephead400ex
08-08-2002, 03:37 PM
I have a '02 400ex. What is the best way to clean the air filter? I have heard that soaking the air filter in gasoline will work. Is this true? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Preston

400ex Magnum
08-08-2002, 03:49 PM
zephead

I use 100% mineral spirits (paint thinner) to clean the air filter. It does a real good job, is not expensive, and is not caustic to your hands. I would avoid using gasoline for any cleaning duties.

zephead400ex
08-08-2002, 04:06 PM
How long would I let the filter sit in the paint thinner? How long do I let it dry?

yamaha1470
08-08-2002, 06:27 PM
after u put it in mineral spirits do u have to rinse it off with water?

LRD_27
08-08-2002, 06:40 PM
I use the air compressor to clean my air filtrer

400ex Magnum
08-08-2002, 07:58 PM
I generally just pour mineral spirits onto the air filter. I probably waste a lot doing it this way, but it is fairly cheap. I then dry the filter with a rag (do not wring the filter out) and then use the air compressor to finish drying it off. Once it is completely dry, I re-oil it with filter oil. I never have washed it out with water. The paint thinner does not leave a residue to rinse out.

08-10-2002, 06:23 AM
Never use gas, it will damage your filter in the long run. The
manual suggests kerosene, this is what I use. Pouring it from the inside out to get the bulk of dirt and old oil off of it, and then
dipping it in clean kerosene in a 5 gallon bucket to thoroughly
cleanse. Dry and re-oil, ride.
John

fuddrucker
08-16-2002, 09:25 AM
I use Simple Green in a bucket of hot water. About 25% simple green to 75% water and let it soak. Rinse it off, then skake the water out and let dry in the sun. Comes out great. I usually rinse it off first if it real dirty. :cool:

zephead400ex
08-16-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. In the ownes manual it does say use kerosene, but I dont want to pay over $2 a gallon for it. Does anyone else recommend Simple Green, if so I think I will go that route! Thanks for the replies!

Scott
08-16-2002, 10:28 AM
I use klotz filter cleaner and oil. Works just fine. Spray it, let it set 5 mins, wash it out with water, let it dry, oil it, done.

Crypted1
08-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Palmolive dish washing liquid works really well.

L.Vegas400
08-17-2002, 03:04 AM
i use brake cleaner. just spray from the inside out, rinse with water, let it dry, then oil it. havent noticed any break down of the filter as of yet.

foxhonda300ex
09-04-2002, 08:21 PM
What can i use to clean my kn filter besides the kn recharger kit supplies? Can I use paint thinner on this?

Scott
09-06-2002, 06:06 AM
Get a can of filter cleaner and a can of filter oil. I use Klotz, but the brand doesn't really matter. You'll go through about 2 cans of cleaner for 1 can of filter oil. Works fine with K&N filters, I've been doing it with 4 K&N's for the past few years.

Woodsrider
09-06-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by foxhonda300ex
What can i use to clean my kn filter besides the kn recharger kit supplies? Can I use paint thinner on this?

Don't use solvents on a K&N. Buy filter cleaner or simple green, I use castrol superclean on my K&N's in both cars, then rinse with water, air dry, and re-oil. DO NOT use compressed air on it! you will blow holes in the filter. I have a combined total of over 350,000 miles on my two K&N car filters:huh

Lorduss
09-18-2002, 02:46 AM
nothing wrong with using compressed air to dry out your filter, just use it lightly, i personaly use the sun to dry my filter after washing, ive been using dish soap and hot water to clean it, works well, leaves very little oil behind, and no dirt.

DTRAIN
09-18-2002, 05:09 AM
Put some gas in a coffee can, put your air filter in it. Than rinse out the gas, This will take about 1 or 2 minutes. Than either air dry, or like I do, use the compressed air from your muffler to dry, takes about another minute. Some may say not to use gas or compressed air, but I've been doing it for over a year and my filter is still in excellant shape.

fuddrucker
09-18-2002, 06:27 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: "use the compressed air from your muffler to dry, ":confused: :confused: :confused: Huh??? How do you compress the air from your muffler?

Just curious as to what you mean by that.:(

DTRAIN
09-18-2002, 07:12 AM
By compressed air I mean, I start my quad and use the air blowing out my pipe to dry the filter.

fuddrucker
09-18-2002, 08:15 AM
Ahh, I see. Before I got a compressor, I used to use the air coming out of my shop vac.

Ensign
09-19-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
.....kerosene, but I dont want to pay over $2 a gallon for it. Does anyone else recommend Simple Green, if so I think I will go that route! Thanks for the replies!

Hate to break it to you, but you're probably going to pay more than $2 for a gallon of Simple Green.

250x
09-27-2002, 09:39 PM
when using gas to clean the filter make sure you do it in the basement or utility room or anyplace with some type of pilot light going so when the gas fumes crawl across the floor you ignite. for best effect wait till hands are well done. ok, for legal reasons i was kidding. gas fumes can ignite in so many ways while it is open and being shaken up while cleaning with it. static from your rubber filter neck can spark, or anything. when working with it like that the fumes can lay on the floor at least 12 feet around you. not worth the risk even outside. just my thinking:rolleyes:

10-04-2002, 01:15 AM
If $2. is big money to ya, how did you get a quad?:confused:

zephead400ex
10-04-2002, 11:02 AM
justfine....well $2 is a lot for for a cleaner...that is what I was saying!!! I got my quad...with no problem....so dont worry about it!

DarkStarRacing
10-06-2002, 01:59 PM
go buy air filter cleaner :D

Leo
10-06-2002, 02:41 PM
kerosene works well.. if you let it sit for a couple hours you can usually pour off the kerosene and leave the crap behind.. so you can re-use it a couple of times without a problem.. FWIW I use about 1/2 a coffee can full to clean mine..

I keep two filters (stock) so I always have a clean one.. That way I can let the filter I cleaned air dry all the way through and I don't have to rush it..

I used gas to clean my filter one time (in a pinch) and it started to cause the black rubber end to swell slightly.. didn't really hurt the filter, but it can't be that great for it either ;)

Then I just soak 'er down with Uni aerosal foam filter oil, and away I go...

I tried a can of the Uni foam filter cleaner.. didn't work worth a crap (like $7 down the drain) I wouldn't recomend it to someone I didn't like ;)

Leo

10-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Guys i just got done cleanin my filter and it is a foam one. What can i use that is common to oil it. I really wanna go ride today but need to oil it. Please help Quick

:devil

Live2Ride300
10-06-2002, 05:58 PM
If you dont have any air filter oil, then you could use a small amount of motor oil. Dont use too much tho because it will all go to the bottom when you have the filter mounted and it will drip off. Just use enough so that the whole filter is tacky. I clean my air filter with spectro SX air filter cleaner, but when I run out, I use dish soap, or grease lightning, or simple green. Then I let it dry, and re oil it with spectro SX air filter oil.

10-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Thank You, but luckly my local O'Riely auto parts store had a K&N filter kit. Wow what luck!

sandslinger101
10-08-2002, 08:06 PM
:D i use what fuddrucker uses, simple green biodegradable solvent and let air dry. i clean my uni filter for the ex and clean my k&n filters for the sandrail the same way and seems to work great with out the harsh chemicals of other solvents. :D

cheetah
10-09-2002, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking about using palmovlive to clean my UNI, how long do you let it set, and will it hurt it?

ridesa02400EX
10-21-2002, 07:55 PM
palmolive dish soap and hot water and a little bit of scrubing works reall good