PDA

View Full Version : Noise from valvetrain! Please help!

pererik69
05-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi!

I have a loud "clicking" noise coming from the head of a 2003 LTZ400. It follows the rpm, and sounds just like excessive valveplay. The play is, however, 0.15 mm on intake and 0.25 mm on exhaust, so that should be OK as far as I know. There was no sign of tearing or damage to the camshaft bearing surfaces.

Has anybody got a clue? Can it be from the lever that opens a bit on the exhaust on low revs? What parts do I need to change if this is the couse?

Any other suggestions?

Very grateful for any help!!

Best regards,

Per Erik

LittleMissE
05-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I am not sure this is right but it might be your cam timing chain if you say your valves are in a good place. I am not possitive thou!!!! But if you arent getting enough info over here go to the z400central site!!(z400central.com) Some really smart people over there might be able to help you out!!!!

xraven35
05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
CAM CHAIN!!! I'm waiting for the same thing in the mail right now. My advice is... Dont buy a stock chain. Buy an aftermarket chain like D.I.D because everytime i seem to run my motor hot... like through thick mud or hot temps I stretch a cam chain.

If you didnt already.... buy the service manual from Kawasaki. (The clymers sucks I.M.O.) follow the instructions and take off your cam chain tensioner and see how many clicks you have left. If you dont have any left Its most likely your cam chain is stretched.

LittleMissE
05-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by xraven35
CAM CHAIN!!! I'm waiting for the same thing in the mail right now. My advice is... Dont buy a stock chain. Buy an aftermarket chain like D.I.D because everytime i seem to run my motor hot... like through thick mud or hot temps I stretch a cam chain.

If you didnt already.... buy the service manual from Kawasaki. (The clymers sucks I.M.O.) follow the instructions and take off your cam chain tensioner and see how many clicks you have left. If you dont have any left Its most likely your cam chain is stretched.

Yeah thats what I thought it was b/c I am getting a new one for mine b/c mine is streched out too!!!!

xraven35
05-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah... I learned the hard way too. :ermm: