PDA

View Full Version : 450r making noise

hotrodbelair
05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
a friend of mine gots a 450r. when he revs it up as soon he gets past half throttle instantly a grinding noise starts. its not like it gets louder as you rev it up, its instant. it comes from the right side of the engine. the oil in it is like black and were changing that today. anything else i could check?

05-23-2006, 11:31 AM
how new is it? it might be "the crank bearing"

hotrodbelair
05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
oh forgot to put that in there its an 04.

05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
does he have nerf bars or metal skidplates? sound slike somethings vibrating like that. ARE YOU POSITIVE ITS FROM INSIDE THE ENGINE?

hotrodbelair
05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
last night i was trying to find things that were loose all i found was a rear fender bracket but that wasnt it. it aint got nerfs and got heal gaurds. checked the chain and guide. the nosie is pretty loud you can hear while riding it over the sparks pipe. but he says hasnt had any loss of power and it runs strong and starts on the second kick. im waiting for him to get to bring the quad over to my house so i can look it over more. sorry for the long post.

05-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
last night i was trying to find things that were loose all i found was a rear fender bracket but that wasnt it. it aint got nerfs and got heal gaurds. checked the chain and guide. the nosie is pretty loud you can hear while riding it over the sparks pipe. but he says hasnt had any loss of power and it runs strong and starts on the second kick. im waiting for him to get to bring the quad over to my house so i can look it over more. sorry for the long post. not long post. thats what people need to hear in order to cancel things out. I cant help you you'll have to look in the engine at the bearings and stuff or just keep riding it until it blows. lol

hotrodbelair
05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
well changed the engine oil and the transmission fluid there was no metal in the oil. but the noise is still there any ideas of what to check so i can find out what this is.

Punk'd
05-23-2006, 05:13 PM
If you have your stock pipe put that on so you can hear better where the sound is coming from.

GIXXER1KR
05-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Does it stop when u pull in the clutch????

hotrodbelair
05-24-2006, 12:32 PM
havent tryed that yet but when its in nuetrual it does it to.

MR.BIG
05-24-2006, 12:46 PM
If he has aftermarket skid plate or chassis skid plate it may be coming from that even if the bolts are tight because its the metal rubbing against one another. Mine makes a funny noise at about half thottle too.

shamisc
05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Like MixMaster said, I would look at skid plates. It could be anything that could be broken and it's rubbing together.

05-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
Like MixMaster said, I would look at skid plates. It could be anything that could be broken and it's rubbing together. hmmmm. i thought I gave bad advice? :rolleyes: how can you quote someones advice the day after you bash the **** out of them for bad advice all the time?

White7
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
take about 3' of rubber hose(vacume line or whatever) and you can hold it up to your ear and move the other end around the quad and you'll hear exactly where the noise is coming from,works kinda like a stethascope(sp)

hotrodbelair
05-25-2006, 11:20 AM
took the skid plate off that was the problem. not once did i think it was the skid plate cause it was on there solid but when we took it off one of the bolts were stripped out. thanks for all the help guys.

05-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
took the skid plate off that was the problem. not once did i think it was the skid plate cause it was on there solid but when we took it off one of the bolts were stripped out. thanks for all the help guys. so i was correct...hmmmm. good to know it wasnt something with the engine. :eek2:

:p