PDA

View Full Version : proper method to check oil level???

HIPPYHUNTER
05-23-2006, 10:01 AM
search is not working for me....I know I saw a method to checking the level of oil by the dipstick. Where is that thread?

tar
05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
What I was told is to let it idle for like a minute then shut it off pull the dip stick wipe it off put it back in then pull it out and see the oil level.

HIPPYHUNTER
05-23-2006, 10:13 AM
The reason I ask is the quad has been sitting for a while (like 45 days) and I was in garage and thought why not and checked the oil level.......dipstip was bone dry. Kinda made me wonder.WTF!? NO OIL!!!!!???? But then I remembered the thread that I read on here to run then check. I am just making sure I am doing something soooooo simple correctly.

GPracer2500
05-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Let the engine idle for 5 minutes. Don't rev it, don't ride it around, just let it idle. Shut it off, wait about a minute, unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back (but don't screw it in) and check the level.

If you check the oil level without letting it idle first the dipstick will read low. At idle speed the oil pump maintains a specific oil level in the crankcase and the remaining oil is deposited into the tank. If the engine is shut off for a period of time the oil drains out of the tank into the crankcase.

miller821
05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Let the engine idle for 5 minutes. Don't rev it, don't ride it around, just let it idle. Shut it off, wait about a minute, unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back (but don't screw it in) and check the level.
Yep.

cals400ex
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
i probably wouldn't let it idle for a full five minutes. a minute or two is what i would do. then pull and clean off the dip stick. put it back in but do not screw it in and pull it back out. check the level now.

HIPPYHUNTER
05-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks Guys! I love these forums for their quick answers!