PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting/wont idle

ohsobad_chevy
05-23-2006, 09:16 AM
I finally got some time to ride this last weekend, The night before I went out to start my quad (400EX, 152 main, 42 pilot, HMF sport series, UNI air filter, air box lid on.) and it was a pain in the arse to get is started and when it did start, I would try to give it a little gas and it would die. If i start it and let it idle without giving it gas, it will idle for about 12 seconds and then die. The gas that is in the tank is about 3 weeks old. Could gas go bad that fast? The plug was changed after the last time i rode, I am lost. Like i said the last time i rode it (3 weeks ago) the throttle was snappy, jetting was perfect, everything was great. I know temperature has an affect on jetting, but it was about 85 degrees last time I rode and about 90 degrees when I noticed the problem. Got me beet... Thanks for all input

ohsobad_chevy
05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Anyone.... bump:devil:

LaLaLoosh
05-30-2006, 08:55 AM
your gas would not have gone bad that fast. I know this is a stupid question, but is you gas switch (petcock) in the on position. I have gotten really confused about my quad not starting, then realized that the gas was turned off.

ohsobad_chevy
05-30-2006, 10:05 AM
LOL, yeah the gas switch is in the on position.

DieselBoy
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
dont blip the throttle when it's cold (freshly started), let the choke do it's thing, wait until its warm, if it's sat than it needs a good run prior to anything....

gas should be fine, swap plug, and take it out for a rip, observe, and decide then

ohsobad_chevy
05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
dont blip the throttle when it's cold (freshly started), let the choke do it's thing, wait until its warm, if it's sat than it needs a good run prior to anything....

gas should be fine, swap plug, and take it out for a rip, observe, and decide then

If I let it set there withought giving it any throttle, it will die. So i really can't let it set. I can give it a little throttle but just for a short second, it will kinda idle up very little and then die out. I can get it warmed up and it runs good, but getting it warm is a pain in the arse.

DieselBoy
05-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Have you removed the carburator and cleaned everything? It's probably something simple like a clogged jet, or stuck float bowl. Try easing into the throttle, slowely increasing, but not too drastically, It sounds like nothing serious though. It could be a faulty plug, I've boughten new plugs that were faulty and I spent a long time wondering what the heck it was, and I took a chance, swapped the plug and away it went.

I won't lie these motors can be a bit of a bugger to get running when their cold, but they run good when they're warmed up.

I suppose turning the idle up a CH could help.

greg_gorrell
05-30-2006, 09:17 PM
i would clean the carb out first and then go from there, that sounds like its your problem.

ohsobad_chevy
05-31-2006, 07:47 AM
As far as cleaning the carb out. I know to use carb cleaner, but where do i shoot the cleaner to get it good and clean?

DieselBoy
05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
do you have compressed air? shoot the air through the jets and canals, but dont use too high of pressure. tbis will free all passages.

jsmith2232
05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
First i would try another plug, sometimes you can get a bad one, second but sounds stupid, is there gas in the tank (ive done this a few times and it confuses the hell out of me until i feel stupid when i figure it out) and last i would just pull the carb out and check the jets to make sure they are clean and no debris got stuck in them. My buddy had this on his 250x and all it was is that his eclip on the needle came off.

calds650
05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Allso check for a air leak around the carb and intake.

ohsobad_chevy
06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I dont know why but it seems like everytime that I go out to my garage and fire it up, it runs differently every time. Now, it is very hard to start and doesnt want to stay running. I put a pipe and uni filter on, but I know my jetting is good from the past rides in the same temperature. I pull my plug, it's tan in color and not wet. I dunno......... :o :o

bigwheeler
06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
id give it a snort of starting fluid

DieselBoy
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
you know what check your air filter, clean it good, and put the oil on, and get it running and give it a good stiff run out on the track it should clear up, if not... i dunno

careful with startin fluid man does that stuff backfire!!

below100hz
06-04-2006, 01:14 PM
whens the last time you adjusted the valves? the intake valves have been known to tighten up and stay open a little durring the compression stroke and push air/fuel back and make it not want to idle

ohsobad_chevy
06-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I adjusted them about 3 weeks ago to specs. I only rode about 3 hours since I adjusted them.