PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Bolt Removal

jrm03
05-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Im pulling the motor on my 02 EX and im down to the swingarm bolt......and it isn't budging. I have removed the nut on the left side but the right side of the bolt will not budge. Any suggestions? or tricks?

nat78
05-23-2006, 03:08 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221737

4fifty
05-23-2006, 01:57 PM
get a torch...i know it might sound crazy to heat up the back of the case but i did it. we put a rose bud tip on the torch so it doesnt get to hot. heat the back of the case where the bolt goes through. move it around a lot. dont sit in one spot to long. especially in the middle. you dont want to melt the gasket and then have to split the case. anyways...heat it up for a couple minutes and get and air chisel or air hammer...whatever you like to call it. put it on the end of the stud and pound away. once it goes so far you wont be able to reach it. so put in a punch and do it again. i have never had this problem with my 250r, yfz, but i did with all 3 of my 400's. i have done it to them. no problems after doing it either. just use common sense. it should be taken out every 6 months to grease it. if this is done. i wont be so hard. a new bolt from honda is about 26 buck and 4 dollar nut. or lonestar and baldwin racing have a zinc plated bolt. wont get stuck as bad for 65 bucks

miller821
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Yep, mine was seized up and we used a torch to heat it up... But we still couldn't get it out so we used a sledge hammer and used a lot of lubricant to get it out.

DOHC
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
i had to cut mine off with a touch that ****er wouldnt let go, but my dad is a machinest so he can make me a new one for free :D

Quad 747
05-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Using an air hammer works the best in my opinion.

Zach

jrm03
05-23-2006, 06:29 PM
thanks for all the help. i ended up with a sledge hammer and a punch to remove the bolt. it was a chore and definitely grease and lube this bolt really good when you reinstall.. thanks again

Unverfehrt400ex
05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
congrates. your lucky it came out so easy. I tried every way people that people said and it wouldnt budge so we ended up having to cut it out with a torch and in the end had to also buy a new swingarm.

miller821
05-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Unverfehrt400ex
congrates. your lucky it came out so easy. I tried every way people that people said and it wouldnt budge so we ended up having to cut it out with a torch and in the end had to also buy a new swingarm.
O dang, that sux... We were going to try to cut it with a die grinder, but that didn't exactly work... My dad was just banging it with a sledge, and finally after pushing it back and forth and after every inch we moved putting lube, it finally came out.

damien28
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
i had the same problem with mine.. i had to use torches to cut it in the middle and pound it out a little at a time. if you do this you will probably burn the two plastic hole covers on your swingarm. you can buy new ones around ten bucks. your swingarm is probably junk now though. your bearings inside there are seized to the bolt and there's a little lip on the side of the swingarm, after you get the bolt out and remove your bearings you'll probably see that the lip is broken.

patches85
05-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Drill it out!