PDA

View Full Version : oil resivor question

JR_rivard
05-22-2006, 07:05 PM
well i was puttin my new exhaust pipe on my quad and i had to move my oil resivor a little to put it in. the top 2 mounting bolts came off good, but then i came to the bottom one. it came off with what looks like to be a bushing or some sealer thing, but im thinkin its not suppose to look like that. So i think that i put a hole through the bottom of the resivor. im suppose to go to my cabin and ride with buddies this weekend, so i was wondering if there was a quick or temporary solution?

4fifty
05-23-2006, 02:08 PM
im at work so i cant go look, but if i remember right the oil tank only has two bolts. one on each side to hold it in and a bolt in the bottom too drain the tank. like i said i dont remember and i got an aftermarket one anyways. but there is a round piece on the frame and a rubber sleeve goes in there but it might come out with the tank. if thats what it is then put it back in the frame and it just serves as cushion for the tank.

GIXXER1KR
05-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Sounds like you broke the drain plug neck!!!

ekoostik9
05-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Ya i think you broke the plug neck i just did the same thing this weekend. Anybody know how to fix this, i was just going to MIG it or do you think i should just buy a new tank?

ekoostik9
05-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Ya i think you broke the plug neck i just did the same thing this weekend. Anybody know how to fix this, i was just going to MIG it or do you think i should just buy a new tank?

Chino886
05-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by JR_rivard
well i was puttin my new exhaust pipe on my quad and i had to move my oil resivor a little to put it in. the top 2 mounting bolts came off good, but then i came to the bottom one. it came off with what looks like to be a bushing or some sealer thing, but im thinkin its not suppose to look like that. So i think that i put a hole through the bottom of the resivor. im suppose to go to my cabin and ride with buddies this weekend, so i was wondering if there was a quick or temporary solution?

are you talking about the crush washer that comes with the drain bolt?????

JR_rivard
05-24-2006, 09:19 AM
no its not the washer, im pretty sure that i broke the neck on it. i talked to a guy at a machine shop and he said that he would try to helix it first before he welds it or somthin like that. not sure what that means so im gonna have a guy weld it. but i still cant get that bolt out of the neck, i tried a vice and everything. so does it matter if it gets chewed up a little?

NacsMXer
05-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ekoostik9

Take it to someone who knows how to weld aluminum. I broke mine out on a trip a few years ago and ended up having a local boat dealership heliarc weld my tank. They really beefed that area up nicely and it is MUCH stronger than how it is stock. 25 dollar fix that is still good to this day ;)

ekoostik9
05-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Ya mine got chewed up pretty good i used a vice but it was still a *****. Heliarc woould be the way to go, but im not sure how to do that but you can MIG aluminum.

cbr929rr
05-25-2006, 04:40 AM
the bottom piece can get chewed up a bit and still be fine, it only sits in a rubber boot. Put it in a vice and use an impact gun, I did this 2 weeks ago and it worked quick. The tank is aluminum by the way, make sure the welder is experienced with the thin stuff.

JR_rivard
05-25-2006, 09:44 AM
i had a guy weld it back up for me, so i will install it tonight. it looks way stronger now than it was. thanks for the advice.