PDA

View Full Version : 06 Still having Starting issues! any help?

atvdude
05-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Just got done racing a harescamble yesterday and i am not at all please with my 06 not being able to start back up. i must of lost 20 positions because it did not want to light back up when it stalled on me a few times. I have the HRC kit right now. Is there a fix to this problem? any help would be great so i can get this solved before my next race.

bananas
05-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Two thing I did, turn up idle and got an esm cover for my airbox..
No problem since that.

05-22-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm not positive but I heard the clearance on the decompression lever is the problem.

Flynbryan19
05-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Did you rejet for the HRC kit? The biggest reason I've heard for difficult starting is poor jetting.

srt450R
05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. MY LOCAL HONDA DEALER PUT A UPGRADE KIT FOR STARTE GEAR REDUCTION, AND ONE WAY CLUTCH ON THE CRANKSHAFT UNTIL THEY PUT OUT A RECALL FOR IT. THANK GOD FOR WARRANTY. HOPE THIS HELPS.

BVRLVR
05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
honda is going to send a recall out on the 06 450r's to fix there starter issues

later, EM

BVRLVR
05-22-2006, 02:42 PM
their not there

srry

Dave400ex
05-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Who told you they would be issuing a recall? Also when are they going to do it?

Coolidge
05-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex

.....ditto that :confused:

450rJam
05-22-2006, 05:42 PM
turn the idle up. I have heard that honda didnt put enough cca in for the hot starts. some people have cut the battery box to drop in more cold crank amps. not sure if this works.
my hrc and idle up has eliminated the stall, as long as I dont hit the gas too soon.
sometimes it will die if I feel its started and nail it before it comes to idle.
e start is not good if you need to fire and fly quickly. If your not in a hurry and let it start, idle for 1 second then nail it you have it made.

450Rrider424
05-22-2006, 06:39 PM
When is honda coming out with this recall??? I know of three other racers with this same problem including me.

atvdude
05-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Is there a recall number or something?? I plan on asking my local shop when i get a chance. does honda have a recall hotline that i could call??? In the holeshot i was stuck sitting there until i finally got it started. what a pain!! i do not have a louder pipe yet so the guy in front of me is all i hear so its hard to tell when i might stall and when i do i just give more positions away when i get passed. this really bites. i will turn up the idle a bit but i do not think this is the answer. when its warm it needs to start. I hope that honda fixes this in next years model and makes it right with all of us 06 owners. when its running i could not be more happier with the motor. but what good is a race quad that will not start in a flash while the yammys and zuks take the lead?

450rJam
05-23-2006, 04:21 AM
I dont think the starter is spinning it fast enough (would make the regearing sound like a good fix) If it stalls while your moving just pop start it.
thats what I did when mine stalled (only did this 2 times, before I turned the idle up) I pushed it down a hill and roll started it (use 3rd). the second it fires up its good to go, you can turn it off and it will start right back up.

BVRLVR
05-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex

honda sales rep, im not sure when it will happen (theres alot of legal s@#T that has to be taken care of before they issue a recall)

lumi
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
as i stated in another post aswell

short bursts of the starter is recommened, if you hold it for more than 5 sec, let go and let the starter cool down, after 10 to 15 seconds, try again, only 5 sec. burts. after every burts wait! people over heat and prematurely wear there starter not using this method. don't hold the gas when starting also hurts the starter and sometimes makes it harder to start. as for the recall never heard of anything happening with that too many cases of abuse, overheating, and premature wear on the starter showing up at dealers, some dealers might replace it but some won't. I heard honda look into the design and saw nothing wrong with the design and the proper working of it.
just my 2 cents.

-lumi

atvdude
05-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Well if i was to race a quad that had to cool down for 15 seconds to restart then i would have definatley waited for a kick start. why does the yammy and suzuki start fine and not my honda thats my big problem. Is it Carburation or starter or CCA's in the battery? I would like to spend a little money to get my honda to start like the other quads on the start line. Is that to much to ask? I may buy a auto clutch and turn the idle up and try that but i would like a solid answer on how to fix my starting problem. Ive herd a 55 leak jet and boysen power shot help with the low end bog but will that help with the starting? I am not giving it no gas so it is not a flooding situation.

jb500ex
05-23-2006, 04:54 PM
it's a terrible job by honda plain and simple. but adding the kickstart too the er does work very well, but it does need the hotstart

Dave400ex
05-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't think anyone really has an answer to fix the problems. I have talked to Baldwin and even they don't have exact answers. He is working on a hot start setup that will convert the stock carb over. I was told to call back in 2 weeks from last Thursday that the tooling was on order to get it going. If it works, I will have it. That's the biggest problem, it won't start when it's hot.

STR330R
05-23-2006, 09:22 PM
dave400ex let us no what they come up with if you would. Thanks

eganracing
05-23-2006, 11:16 PM
just put a kick start on there:D

450rJam
05-24-2006, 04:23 AM
I think any consumer would be happy if honda desided to add the kicker to the e-start as a recal repair. Im glad I got the e-start and havnt had much trouble with it but the kick addition would be
great back up if the battery dies or it does stall or your going to race it from a dead start.

Ill put in a word to the atv powers and suggest it.

Coolidge
05-25-2006, 08:21 AM
I would love to add a kicker to my er. Would be even better if Honda took care of it.

450Rrider424
05-25-2006, 08:12 PM
with the hesitation problems on your 06 450r adjusting the accelerator pump eliminates this and gives you instant throttle response i had mine adjusted 3/4 of a turn it is recommened 1 1/8 turn with the hrc kit. i have a hmf pipe with a 160 main jet, but am dropping to a 158 bc it runs a little rich on top end. i also put a 48 slow jet in but that didnt help the starting issues any. i know someone who put the different gears in starter clutch but it hasnt helped him any thay may be bc of the bigger cams in the hrc kit

dont worry i was sitting on the line as well when everyone else took off

atvdude
05-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Well i have ordered a 55 leak jet and a boysen ACC. Pump cover. When they come in i plan on turning up the idle and doing some plug chops to check out my jetting at 0-1/4 throttle and 1/4-3/4 throttle to see what is going on. I plan on buying a pipe and uni filter system also. between all of this i may come up with a solution. I Hope!!

KrazyKeith
05-27-2006, 05:53 AM
I have owned my er for about 2 months now and had some starting issues at first but when I quit messin with the throttle it stated fine everytime. Freinds have other machines (ltr's yf's and 04+5 r's) and they could never start mine. Which caused my starter clutch to go out. I took it to the dealer on monday they fixed it and I had it back by fri. The dealer gave me a copy of a something that came from honda it just said to remind all their er cusomers to not touch the throttle at any time when starting. and set your idle at 1700rpm's, it says this will insure easy starts. They said nothing of a recall. When I bought my er I went there with all intentions of buying a kicker because of the problems with the er starting. they assured me there was no problem. So when I had to take it back they remembered the fuss I made about wanting a kicker. They talked to Honda to try and get me a kicker installed under warranty at no cost to me. Honda said no unless I happen to have this problem again then it will be considered. I have the hrc jets a full rossier short and a stg 2 hotcam. and I havent had a problem starting this thing since I quit touching the throttle. I was kinda pissed about the starter clutch goin but after the way Honda took care of me and the quick service on a week when everybody wants their machine back (holiday) how could I be mad.

powerstroke
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I think we need to clarify to some of these guys what we mean when we say "they dont start well". I race XC and I too have an 06 450ER. It starts every single time its just that it starts WAY TOO SLOW. My bike is jetted spot-on and I have the boyesen quick shot. It cranks for about 1.5 to 2 seconds before it starts. Every other 06 450ER that i have personally come in contact with is the exact same way. this is not a problem for play riders and mxers but it is a BIG PROBLEM for cross country racers. When you are on the line for a race that has a "dead engine start"(you cant start your bike until the flag drops) 1.5 to 2 seconds of cranking time is an ETERNITY when yamahas, kick start 450r's, suzuki's etc all start in about .5 seconds. It boils down to getting SMOKED off the line. I love everything about my 06 but honda did a very poor job with the starting system. The starting system is not cutting the mustard and everybody knows it! The hot stalling issues is another topic altogether. In my opinion its just par for the course with this new breed of 4 stroke powerplants. High compression/high performance thumpers are hard to start when you hot stall them. My yamaha was the same way. Just watch supercross sometime. When those guys hot stall they do a lot of kicking before they get going again. And a lot of those guys are on factory supported bikes.......so if their bikes do it there probably isnt much hope for us keeping our bikes from doing it. Matt

DanW
05-29-2006, 01:32 AM
I have raced my ER in 5 XC races now. You can make an ER fire fairly quick, once you get used to the tricks. Will it ever fire fast enough to get a pro class holeshot--Nope. Not many of us have the reaction time of a pro that might get a holeshot anyways...

2 District 23 XC races in the A class--one first place, one third place finish.

3 Iowa atv XC races in the +30 class--Two first place finishes, one second place.

I have gotten exactly zero holeshots with my ER.... What delays me more than the slow starting is the fact that my HRC pipe is too quiet and I can't hear when it fires up. The start means very little in a 2 hour race though. :D

Troyer23J
05-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Actually, the start does mean a lot in a 2 hour race. When i start 40th in a GNCC that is a damn lot of people to get around to have any chance at getting to the front. If we could start even 10th that would be a huge difference. Starting way back also puts you into all the bottlenecks that you have to wait on....

DanW
05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Troyer23J
Actually, the start does mean a lot in a 2 hour race. When i start 40th in a GNCC that is a damn lot of people to get around to have any chance at getting to the front. If we could start even 10th that would be a huge difference. Starting way back also puts you into all the bottlenecks that you have to wait on....

I race for fun so I guess that I really don't care if I get a bad start. I usually do something stupid and get stuck for a few minutes on the first lap anyways. If I start in 40th, than the challenge is passing those 40 people. :p