PDA

View Full Version : Machining rocker faces?

not2hi
05-22-2006, 08:59 AM
The rockers on my 300ex are worn and I'd like to get them hard welded and machined...My work has a machine shop where i can get this done...

aren't the rocker faces curved a slight bit?

Where can I get the dimensions or specs to machine the new faces?

THX

EXevan91
05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
or u could buy new rocker arms and save your self the time.

not2hi
05-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Time I have, money I don't

greg_gorrell
05-22-2006, 07:07 PM
yeah i hate how people are always jackasses when someone comes up with an idea. but the fact is that the rocker arms have to hold to some very tight tolerances. im sure you could do this but i would never try it on a manual mill. if your company has a cnc mill then you would need a very strong bit to start with, like a carbide. then you would have to find the radius of the curve on the rocker arm. another thing would be your offsets to do it would have to be within .001 of an inch. it will work but take your time. im unsure of how hard the hard facing is but you pry could use a file but i dont think it would be quite as accurate.

not2hi
05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I have no doubt of their ability to do this...we do work for NASA and the military, to some pretty tight tolerances, so thats not the issue...it's finding the drawing or specs to machine to. Alot of shops do this mod so the info must be available, unless they just take a new factory rocker and take some dims off it.

the quest continues!

boricua
05-22-2006, 08:12 PM
someone on here may have that info....but doubtful. most just pay some shop to do it. you may have better luck with bringing in a stock rocker and pull dims off it.....

Aceman
05-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Or buy some new rockers, get the dimensions and then sell them on Ebay. Maybe even return them to your dealer and get your money back??

not2hi
05-23-2006, 06:52 AM
I asked a local shop who does it for specs, but they wouldn't give it up...can't say I blame them...

ohsobad_chevy
05-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I looked all over the internet for the specs. I would say that a service manual would have them maybe. Sorry I couldnt help ya.

Chino886
05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by not2hi
I have no doubt of their ability to do this...we do work for NASA and the military, to some pretty tight tolerances, so thats not the issue...it's finding the drawing or specs to machine to. Alot of shops do this mod so the info must be available, unless they just take a new factory rocker and take some dims off it.

the quest continues!

I am pretty sure they are "hardfacing" the OEM rocker arms....that is why there is a charge....I believe.

not2hi
05-23-2006, 08:49 AM
From what I understand, they weld a blob of metal onto the face, then machine it back to specs. The weld material hardness is supposed to match the hardness of the cam.

Chino886
05-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by not2hi
From what I understand, they weld a blob of metal onto the face, then machine it back to specs. The weld material hardness is supposed to match the hardness of the cam.

yup, that is what I understand also, hence the hard-weld cam name.....

the only thing I could suggest you doing is purchasing some, then measuring the contact points when you get them......

I think rocker arms and hard welding cams is like porting.......an engine builder's secret! :devil:

bwamos
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by greg_gorrell
another thing would be your offsets to do it would have to be within .001 of an inch.

Tolerances aren't nearly that tight.

Sure you set the clearance on the valves to a tight tollerance 0.004", but you have a good 0.100" of adjsutment on that part. As long as you got it to around +/- 0.010 you'd be just fine. ;)

greg_gorrell
05-24-2006, 08:14 PM
yeah true to a point, the faces of the rocker arms have quite a big affect on your valve lash tho. the cnc idea is what i would try if i couldnt afford the extra equipment. just out of curiosity not2hi, who do you work for?

not2hi
05-25-2006, 05:51 AM
hopkins

our drawings usually call out for +/-.005 on a 3 place dimension, which the machinsts love, since if they really try, they can get +/-.001 - so .005 is an "easy" day :p

greg_gorrell
05-25-2006, 07:19 PM
oh what do they machine?