PDA

View Full Version : tresspassing to ride

pit/wood
05-22-2006, 08:27 AM
So I was heading down to the pond pullin the haywagon I use to haul firewood when I see tracks comin up the hill from a minibike and 2 sets of about size 7 or 8 shoes.
Saturday I had about 5 riders and none had a pit or mini bike so I am like realy pissed off now

I open my place to riders and I have very few conditions or rules to follow.

After unhooking the 200es from the haywagon(the old gal stills pulls good in low range)I start tracking,and I follow the tracks to the 43' table top where I see that they were ridin for a good long time without me seein or hearing them.
when they got back out on the dirt road I lost thier tracks. It was gettin dark so I quit for the night.

Funny thing about these county roads is that most all the driveways are dirt and when you turn into the driveways you leave tracks. Besides which, if I was a young kid that was tresspassing to ride most likely my yard and/or driveway at home is pretty torn up from ridin there.

So this morning I am writing this before I go and find these kids parents,and I will find them,just a matter of time.

Most of the people who know me are aware that all you have to do is ask to ride here and you can. I was young a couple years ago and I did the same thing,ridin the roads on my dirtbike,tresspassing to ride and all that goes with it. these are some of the reasons that I opened my sandbox to others to enjoy.

I have posted in threads about this subject and expressed my opinion about forum members bragging about tresspassing to ride. It is wrong no matter where you live, to tresspass. As long as younger people see others talking about it they are going to do it. Could these kids Have gotten the idea to ride in the nearest pit without permission by reading a thread in here that glorified tresspassing? YES.

If they were to get hurt while tresspassing and thier parents sued me and shut this place down all who ride here would lose another riding spot because of the actions of others,including those who gave them the idea or reinforced it, by posting about tresspassing to ride.

I do not hate these kids,but I will be pissed at thier parents if I find that they live on 1/4 acre and bought thier kid a minibike knowing they had no place to ride it.

I hope they will ride here within the rules when this is over.

So the next time you want to post about doing things the wrong way,like tresspassing to ride ,then fleeing the police when caught,think about the kid who reads it and goes out and copys you and ends up in the hospital because he had no supervision and noone to call 911 when he broke his neck riding where nobody would think to look for him.

redracing88
05-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Well said!:macho

NorCalRacer
05-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I couldn't agree more.

MR.BIG
05-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I agree with you but you said you used to do the same thing when you were younger:confused:

aman
05-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by redracing88
Well said!:macho

<DRS>GPF
05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
post it as no trespassing.. whether you mean to let someone ride or not, it helps with legal resposibility..

05-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I hate trespassers, its so ignorant to ride on land with NO TRESPASSING signs my freinds think its fun to do donuts in peoples front yard until someone gets pissed off... Its so ignorant and why would someone buy their kid a minibike when they have no land :ermm: .. I had trouble convincin my dad to let me buy my first quad a couple years ago and now I got a brand new one and I always ride on my own land and I have about 800 acres of flats and trails. :macho

PolarisRider06
05-22-2006, 04:59 PM
yeah throw up some no tresspassing signs... at least then you can say they were up if anyone goes on your land without permission... (on the signs have your name, number and have it say to come to your house for permission to ride) and then get a little liability waiver for everyone to sign who comes out there like the ones they have you sign when you go into the pits at the races that you have to date and all that good stuff... and make sure to tell them that they have to sign it every day that they go out there that way they dont sign it once and think that they never have to sign again... you could also put up signs that say to stop in at the house every time someone wants to ride that way you know if someone has left for a few hours then decided to come back

bozz
05-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Sounds like your putting in alot of effort to find some kids. Tracking them down to there house seems alittle much. Yes it's your land and they should ask' but what your doing is no better. tracking them to there property to tell them to ask 'you' first sounds like a power trip to me just my 2 cents.

pit/wood
05-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by bozz
Sounds like your putting in alot of effort to find some kids. Tracking them down to there house seems alittle much. Yes it's your land and they should ask' but what your doing is no better. tracking them to there property to tell them to ask 'you' first sounds like a power trip to me just my 2 cents. You may be right bozz,Power is something that can be abused without knowing it till its pointed out to you.

However the way I see it is that with power goes responsability. If I were to ignore the fact that they went between 2 day-old no tresspassing signs(just put them up) to enter the pit and just let them keep doing it,I would be wrong also.

Where is the happy medium? Do I call the cops and get them in trouble?In this state there is a fine for recreactional trespassing,300.00 bucks,you can be cited for this the first time you tresspass to recreate.

Yes, Mr big,I got into alot of trouble when I was between 13 and 17 for riding on the roads and tresspassing to ride. So I speak from experiance about it. I learned my lesson the hard way. That is the reason I open this place to riders,If they ask first.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207240

Some of you may be suprised if you approch property owners that have land you have been eyeing as a place to ride.
People who are not responsable in the way they treat the land they ride on are not welcome here,we cross a few fields that I have permission to ride on. this gives me and my riders access to the stores and restaraunts who also gave me permission to have riders on thier property. Walmart,meijers,mcdonalds,big boy,arbys,wendys,kmart,subway and applebees have all given me permission to have riders on thier property. However I asked first,and I keep in touch with them to see if we have any problems that need attention. I coordinate with my neighbors that have young riders,most of whom ride here also.

Some of you may be thinking that they let me ride on thier property because I am an older person, I dissagree. I think if you are 15 years old and you nut-up and ask that guy down the road,with the totaly sick hills that you want to ride on,he may give you permission if you do it right and have your stuff together about it. you may not get acess to mcdonalds but you wont find out till you ask.

TheFontMaster
05-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Keep us updated on those kids. I wanna know if you find em:macho

pit/wood
06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Keep us updated on those kids. I wanna know if you find em:macho
Sorry it took so long to repost guys.

So anyhow, the day after my last post I see a car parked on the road by the tabletop. when I get down there I see 3 guys,one is workin on a jump lip with one of my rakes,one is watchin and the other is ridin a littl honda 50.

Of course I am a bit pissed so I ask them all " who in hell are you and why are you tresspassing on my property". Right away the oldest one(about 18-20) starts in with the "yes sir,I am sorry sir.I didnt know it was private land ,a friend told me he rode here one time so we just came here to check it out , and so on .

Now here I am pissed off, but I have opened my place for riders so I cant just run these boys off.

I took the opertunity(sp ch) to get on my soap box,as old men do at times.

I told them if they had asked first ,its obvious they could have ridin here. I rode thier butts about not having a helmet amongst the 3 of them,and yea,I was bein a little mean in how I treated them.

after listining to the oldest yes sir and no sir me to death, he got around to asking me if there was anything they could do to make it up to me(this was the solution I was headed for also)so they could ride here in the future.

I told them I needed alot of help around here keeping the riding areas in shape,so yes,if they wanted to help around here a bit it would all be water under the bridge(forgotten, for you younger people)

I got thier names and told them if they would show up at the farm in the next couple days I would have some things for them to do.

As of today I have not heard from any of them.

I do know how to get in touch with them but I am going to wait for awhile. I know the parents of one of them but they dont know that yet.

So far they have tresspassed and decieved me,what do I do? let them run over me? NOT! A few years ago I would have used my fists not my mouth.

I will wait untill I come up with a creative way to deal with it, a positive way is what I am looking for.

pit/wood
06-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Well it has been long enough,time to get out the old-man crap and talk to a few parents.

I hate being lied to,and those boys did it while lookin me in the eye.

Funny thing is that one of them went to work for a friend of mine that owns a restaraunt.

Time is on my side.

Any suggestions on how to approch these young men?

theTman
06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
funny, the other day when i got home my moms boyfreind asked me if i knew anyone with a utility around here, i said no. Well he told me that 3 kids (:rolleyes: ) all wearing hlemets rode past our house on a quad (the trail is literally next to our house, i can see it just sitting right here) He then said they came back from the way they originally went, and had NO helmets on and that they proceeded to cut through our back yard where I mostly ride. Now I dont really care if someone rides in the backyard, just to stay to the outside and not go over my jumps and etc which i belive they did. So I was sitting here and my mom yelled "travis they are back!" so I booked it outside with my moms boyfreind and we ran into the backyard and motioned for them to come up here so we can talk to them, well the didn't like that idea so they turned around and booked it. I came backinside threw my shoes on and seeing as how my quad isnt working i chased them through the woods (only becuase i was bored:scary: ) so i walked down to where the trail goes to a feild, which I could tell they went into, and right down the middle of a freshly cut hayfeild:grr: ...so I walked through the feild then at the end is another trail which they had not gone through, so i walked up that to go the the feilds next to my house since it loops around. Well I got through the first feild which is a downhill and noticed they had cut right across the bottom of the hill ( the grass isnt cut yet and it atleast 4 feet high) ruining the bottom of the feild. I walked through the trail that connected to another feild directly next to my house and what I saw didn't make me too happy (oh yeah i walked into the feild and a HUGE doe jumped out not even 3 feet in front of me...it was pretty cool) these kids cut right acorss the middle of thise feild (also not cut) ruining that portion also. My mom called the guy who owns the feild to let him know it wasnt me or my neighbor and he said thats fine and my mom told him that we will catch the kids and blah blah.....

wow....my fingrs hurt now

Blue250X
06-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by theTman
wow....my fingrs hurt now

hahaha, they hurt so bad u can't spel fingers?? haha

Blue250X
06-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Blue250X
hahaha, they hurt so bad u can't spel fingers?? haha

hmmm, whats my excuse? LOL spell*:rolleyes:

Pappy
06-23-2006, 08:04 AM
1st..post the land

2nd..stick to your guns and ethics

If I found someone knowingly trespassing on my land I would have a new bike, or quad:p I dont take well to people direspecting my land.

We have a local 14/15 year old that rips up the roads on his warrior. No helmets, rides all time of the day and night, rips down our gravel neighborhood road and generally makes himself and atv's look bad. The police have been called but around here that means little. We have even had digruntled neighbors arrive thinking it was my son. we would approach the kid or his parents but honestly, that is usually asking for trouble. The way i see it, he has no respect and I would be looking for trouble trying to teach him some, and I can almost garuntee his parents are not some of the best thinking folks or they would not allow this to continue.

The funny thing about all this is that he has NEVER ventured down the road I live on. You would think curosity would draw him down my lane but in 2 years he hasnt even attempted it. I keep a pair of cutters handy for that 1 time he does. I figure i will walk out and as he starts small talk i will snip his wiring and leave his quad sitting. He can have daddy come back to pick it up. I wish I would have thought of that idea, but the feller who owns the powerline area told me about it, he has done it numerous times
:p