PDA

View Full Version : How dow the Predator compare to the 400EX

nozerider
05-22-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm about ready to get a new quad, and was set on grabbing up an '05 Honda ($5,000 OTD) but after some more thinking, I realized the bike might be a wee bit underpowered (I'm 6'3" 225lbs.)

Anyways, that got me started thinking about the '06 Predator ($5,499 OTD) And that's why I'm here, to ask a few questions.

1. This bike will be used for 70% dune riding, and 30% trails. How does it fair in those two arenas?

2. How is the powerband? Does it have to be constantly revved, or can you go pretty slow without too much fear of lugging it?

3. TLD or not to be? The same place is offering the TLD for $5,899 OTD. Would those 400 dollars be well spent, or is the regular version OK?

4. Reliability, this is my biggest concern, seeing how the only Polaris machine I've ridden was a snowmobile (my friends swore by the machines) Honestly, how reliable are these? After break in, is normal maintenance OK? (oil, air filter, checking for loose bolts, etc.)

Thanks for the help.

wolffie
05-22-2006, 01:14 PM
im 6ft 205lbs and i own an 05 TLD edition. it is deffinetly a much faster machine than the 400ex in the top end** however, when riding through the woods it comes down to the rider more than the machine, so that will have to be prefference to you. My friend has a modded EX with bolt on stuff (pipe, filter, powerlid, gearing) and acceleration wise, it is damn near close to the stock pred.

you can lug the pred around in the first 4 gears, but the funny thing with the TLD model is that there is a large gap from 4rth gear to 5th gear. the pred tops out around 65-70, and i think you go like 45-50 in 4rth! so there is a bit of a drop off. i found if you up the front tooth on your sprocket, it helps to spread your lower gears out a bit more, but doesnt help with the gap. this isnt a huge issue, but it is noticeable.

Reliabillity wise, people have had problems with 03's and 04's with frames needing gusseting and tranny problems. i have rode my 05 pred HARD, and havent noticed any problems what so ever. just do the required maintence (oil, greasing, filter, gas, chain) The pred really opens up when you add a pipe and filter, because the stock intake system and exhaust REALLY SUCK! the pipe and filter help the pred to breathe in a good way.

i do everything with my pred except dune riding, being from upstate NY:D i think the pred is great for trails, woods, and some LIGHT mx, and it would be ok in the dunes. but, i think there are alot better choice vehicles if you strictly ride dunes. If you plan on getting a pred, i would get the TLD because it comes stock with FOX podium shocks. these shocks are fully adjustable and are very very good shocks for a stock machine. with that said, if you are going to spend around 6500 anyways, i would buy a raptor 700. it sounds EXACTLY what you would like, and has EFI. check it out! if you have anymore questions about the pred, PM me:)

05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
the predator is way better than a 400ex! trust me! my freinds mom has one! my freind and i raced them in pismo and i past the 400ex in 4th gear! and its got 5!

now to answer your questions!
1. it smokes on dunes! if you really want to be unbeatable get a nitrous kit for like $450 and dont worry it wont ruin your motor like it does car's! o and for trails its great! thats mainly what i use mine for!

2. the power is always there! the only time i've had mine bog out was when i tried climbing a really steep hill in first gear with barly any throtle! but you can just cruse on it if thats what you mean!

3. the tld is just a plastic change! i dont think it matters! but if you want that color go ahead because it will be cheaper than buying deferent ones after the fact!

4. the are great! you just have to change the oil and clean the air filter, and about once every 6 months or so just take it into your dealer and let them do a full check up!

wolffie
05-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by T MORRIS

3. the tld is just a plastic change! i dont think it matters! but if you want that color go ahead because it will be cheaper than buying deferent ones after the fact!

Actually the TLD's come with the Fox shocks. thats really why they cost more. but like you said, rather than that you are payin for the plastics.;)

nozerider
05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Oops, I accidentally said the TLD was 6,899 OTD.

That was supposed to say $5,899 OTD

nozerider
05-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

wolffie, did you ride the regular Predator? The reason I ask because i wonder how much that close ratio gearing helps.

05-22-2006, 05:17 PM
thats wierd! because i dont have a TLD and i have fox shox on the 03 though! i didnt know they had diferent shox!

nozerider
05-22-2006, 06:17 PM
After going to the dealer and getting a feel for it, I decided I'm going to go ahead and pick up an '06 TLD.

Thanks for the help.

DOHC
05-22-2006, 06:25 PM
both machines r great i wanted a preddy but i ended up getting a 440ex. The 400exs r not very fast stock lol but if u put a big bore kit (440s r great) with and exaust, hot cam, new clutch cause the stock one wont take the abuse with the bigger motor and an air filter and if ur a good rider u can keep up to a preddy trust me i do it. When u do what i did tho u lose realiblty and u lose some cash lol but u cant go wrong either way :macho

kc8pnd
05-22-2006, 07:15 PM
both predators come with fox shox. The TLD has a shorter swing arm and closer gears. I think 5th gear is the same. I noticed a huge difference in gearing and like the TLD gearing way better, wish 4th was a little high so there is not such a big gap from 4th to 5th.

Predatorguy88
05-22-2006, 07:57 PM
thats wierd! because i dont have a TLD and i have fox shox on the 03 though! i didnt know they had diferent shox! I also have an '03 with the Fox shocks. I just raced my cousin, me on my Pred him on a 400ex, and beat him. There's no doubt it's a fast machine. I use it for trails a lot, and about the same amount in the sand (local sand pits) and so far it has worked like a charm in both, although you may want to watch out on narrow trails, as it's a little wide (I'm used to the width of a 300ex)

smokinwrench
05-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by wolffie

i do everything with my pred except dune riding, , and it would be ok in the dunes. but, i think there are alot better choice vehicles if you strictly ride dunes.

Did you notice what you typed? If you have never been dune riding how can you have that opinion?

All predator come with Fox shocks, TLD comes with Fox podium shocks just a higher quality with better adjustablity.

I owned a 400ex with wiseco piston, stage 2 hot cam, velocity intake. It's not even in the same league as the predator.

For my type of riding lots of sand, few harescrambles, some mx and lots of trails it was the best choice. Get sales brochures of all quads your interested in and start comparing suspension and other features (reverse).

05-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Predatorguy88
I also have an '03 with the Fox shocks. I just raced my cousin, me on my Pred him on a 400ex, and beat him. There's no doubt it's a fast machine. I use it for trails a lot, and about the same amount in the sand (local sand pits) and so far it has worked like a charm in both, although you may want to watch out on narrow trails, as it's a little wide (I'm used to the width of a 300ex)

yeah like i said before i had an extra gear when my freind was topped out!

wolffie
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
Did you notice what you typed? If you have never been dune riding how can you have that opinion?

although i have never been dune riding, i would imagine something with a little bit higher top end would be more suitable than the pred. Im sure the pred would be fine, i just think it would probably funner to have a bigger bore quad (banshee, 700 raptor, ds650)

Also, i meant to say the TLD versions come with Fox **Podium shocks. all preds come with the fox shocks, they just dont have the adjustabillities that the Podium do (compression, rebound, and rezzies)

smokinwrench
05-23-2006, 04:42 PM
i just think it would probably funner to have a bigger bore quad (banshee, 700 raptor, ds650)

)

Have you ever ridden against any of those quads you listed? I ride with a 700 raptor quite a bit. Yes it is faster top speed then mine and also quicker in drags, but it has terrible suspension compared to my predator, so when we are riding high speed trails he can't keep up.

DS650 is no comparison at all, they are heavy and slow. 2 guys in my home town have them and the older yellow one is a complete joke. The newer red one is ok but nothing special still slower then my predator.

I owned a banshee, fastest quad I have ever owned but they are front heavy and I hated how it handled in trails.

05-23-2006, 05:24 PM
yeah i agree with smokenwrench! the predator is better than the raptor 700 or the ds650! but the banshee i have to admit is the king of the dunes! nothing can compare to it! unless its a hybred! but they just compare to it! the 700 and 650 are horrable for dunes! i have seen even 300ex's beat those things in the dunes! with few mods of course, but still!

preddymoto
05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
although i have never been dune riding, i would imagine something with a little bit higher top end would be more suitable than the pred. Im sure the pred would be fine, i just think it would probably funner to have a bigger bore quad (banshee, 700 raptor, ds650)

Also, i meant to say the TLD versions come with Fox **Podium shocks. all preds come with the fox shocks, they just dont have the adjustabillities that the Podium do (compression, rebound, and rezzies)

The ds 650 is a joke. and the raptor 700 is like riding a motorcycle with 4 wheels. very tippy. i've done a lot of dune riding and had no problem. you don't need a bad *** machine to have fun. you just gotta know how to ride dunes. lot of shifting. gotta stay in the R's. Banshee's are cool for dragracing but thats about it.

coryatver
05-24-2006, 10:39 AM
You made a good choice with the pred.. Have fun riding

calds650
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
yeah i agree with smokenwrench! the predator is better than the raptor 700 or the ds650! but the banshee i have to admit is the king of the dunes! nothing can compare to it! unless its a hybred! but they just compare to it! the 700 and 650 are horrable for dunes! i have seen even 300ex's beat those things in the dunes! with few mods of course, but still!

Not sure what dunes you ride but at Glamis the Raptor 700 and DS650 due very will. I will take my DS650 over my Predator in the dunes any day it has more power and way more comfortable too ride all day.

05-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by calds650
Not sure what dunes you ride but at Glamis the Raptor 700 and DS650 due very will. I will take my DS650 over my Predator in the dunes any day it has more power and way more comfortable too ride all day.

staint anthony! there some huge dunes! and even pismo! the are way to heavy! i havnt tried the 700 though but i would think its the same as the 660 except power! but the ds650 is more used by crusers! not people the race in the dunes!

smokinwrench
05-24-2006, 04:38 PM
i havnt tried the 700 though but i would think its the same as the 660 except power!

They aren't even any where close to the same. It is a complete new machine. The 700 sits much lower handles better and has ****loads more power.

05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
still is a huge machine though! weight aint to good in dunes!

preddymoto
05-25-2006, 08:21 PM
bombarier should stick to what ther're good at building......oh oh wait thats nothing.......bombardier sucks!

05-25-2006, 11:51 PM
haha! thats messed up! but i have to say i agree! when the ds650 has a turbo-charger on it they do fly! but thats a crap load of money for a fast quad that wont do good riding anywhere!

calds650
05-26-2006, 04:24 AM
still is a huge machine though! weight aint to good in dunes!

Then why are you riding a Predator? The YFZ is way lighter than the Predator.

calds650
05-26-2006, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by preddymoto
bombarier should stick to what ther're good at building......oh oh wait thats nothing.......bombardier sucks!

Just name one major desert race Polaris has won?

kc8pnd
05-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Going from a 300ex to a predator I don't notice to much. The predator by no means is a sled. The power to weight ratio is perfect I think.

calds650
05-26-2006, 06:06 AM
The Predator is a jack of all trades but master of none. In the Dune My DS is my choice it is faster and more comfortable to ride. I the desert my Outlaw is my choice just as fast if not faster and more comfortable. On a MX track I will take my Predator over the DS or Outlaw. I would tak all three over the 400EX I did three times.

05-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Then why are you riding a Predator? The YFZ is way lighter than the Predator.

because my grandpa gave it to me! and i like the way it looks more than the yfz450! but if i were to buy one to race i would buy a yfz450 though! they are lighter! i do love the power of a 500 too though!

05-26-2006, 05:51 PM

haha! name an award that the ds650 has gotten! lol! the predator had the sport quad of the year for 03-04! the first two years they were produced! beat that! haha! name a rider that races the ds650 professionally! lol! o wait can they even race those things! sorry but they do suck! just admit it!

05-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by kc8pnd
Going from a 300ex to a predator I don't notice to much. The predator by no means is a sled. The power to weight ratio is perfect I think.

there is a huge difference between the two! my freind has a 400ex and it is way slower and doesnt have near as much power! so dont even say that! the predator is a great quad and it is easy to get comfortable on if thats what u meant!

kc8pnd
05-26-2006, 06:15 PM
I was talking handling. On my old 300 I could whip the rear end around. I can do the same with the predator. As for power difference from a 300ex and predator its like a 22 rifle vs. an M1A1 Abrams tank.

calds650
05-26-2006, 07:46 PM
haha! name an award that the ds650 has gotten! lol! the predator had the sport quad of the year for 03-04! the first two years they were produced! beat that! haha! name a rider that races the ds650 professionally! lol! o wait can they even race those things! sorry but they do suck! just admit it!

Jose Manuel Gonzalez, Antoine Morel, Alan Morel,1,2,3 in the 2006 Dakar no other quad as ever finshed the the race. Ruben Martin when he race won all of the SCORE races in 2004 on a DS650. Can you name a pro rider the races the Predator or even a desert race it has finshed. The DS650 was ATV of the year in 2000 and won the BAJA 2000 Not bad for a quad that sucks admit it.

05-27-2006, 06:44 PM
i would have if it was still 2000!lol! things have advanced! but just because the predator hasnt been entered in any of those and if so dont have good riders doesnt mean it cant win them! i have never seen people race them on tracks though! the predator can do pretty much any race! unlike the heavy ds650! sorry man but admit it! the predator is a better all together quad!

Jose Manuel Gonzalez, Antoine Morel, Alan Morel,1,2,3 in the 2006 Dakar no other quad as ever finshed the the race. Ruben Martin when he race won all of the SCORE races in 2004 on a DS650. Can you name a pro rider the races the Predator or even a desert race it has finshed. The DS650 was ATV of the year in 2000 and won the BAJA 2000 Not bad for a quad that sucks admit it.

05-27-2006, 06:47 PM
o! yeah and the predator hasnt even been around that long! it came out in 2003! thats why the ds650 could even stand a chance! bacause there want the best quad ever out yet! lol!

05-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by kc8pnd
I was talking handling. On my old 300 I could whip the rear end around. I can do the same with the predator. As for power difference from a 300ex and predator its like a 22 rifle vs. an M1A1 Abrams tank.

definately! thats a good comparison! lol!

05-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I LOVE THE PREDATORS! THEIR THE PERFECT QUADS ALL AROUND!

bstro
06-04-2006, 02:11 PM
the predator is a good machine , i beat the tar out of mine and the thing dose not wanna quit . good for jumpin and lots of speed are good things this machine has . a set of tires are the only thing the tld ed needs ,a pipe and sum nerfs are a must, with any machine as well.hondas are sweet but for the price and extras whith the tld ,its a knarly deal. ride on bra

SVTPete
06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I have seen some preddys on the track-Oh look thats mine!

Dune Surfer
06-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I owned both and there not even close. The Pred wins in every way. If you duning get the pred, the 400 is overworked hauling guys our size in the dunes.

preddymoto
06-13-2006, 08:29 AM
desert racing is the first thing i looked at when buying my predator. since wisconsin has sand everywhere and it's just so darn hot here. i looked at what i get for my money. when it comes to racing there really isn't much talk. race machine are pretty much all custom. not factory. pretty sure the polaris' are getting uncrated and sent straight to the track.

kc8pnd
06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Most people hate change. People look at it like if its not the same type as mine then its junk. I do it, I think everyone does it. I think its a great quad and have a blast riding mine.