PDA

View Full Version : main fuse blows after high beams on

Rancher2005
05-21-2006, 10:03 PM
when i switch my high beams on, my 15amp fuse blows consistantly... took test light to the green connector located @ the front upper strut mounts..when the low beams are on white wire is power ,when high beams on purple wire is power and the green is always ground the voltage drops are as follows: white =2.8mv and purple =1.3mv

Rancher2005
05-21-2006, 10:11 PM
...couple of questions..has anyone had this same problem and found a solution? can i also conclude that the problem (short) exists after the swtich since the voltage drops are low and the switch is doing it's job? how do i gain access to the rear of the headlights(plastic removal)? i searched other threads where some found it to be wires rubbing frame or bulbs etc. but i have no evidence of this yet ...btw low beams work...thanks in advance

-copyguy-
05-22-2006, 05:44 AM
The last time this topic came up, it ended up being the wires running to the lights themselves had the insulation rubbed off from just normal riding. Is this a 400ex?

johnsls
05-22-2006, 06:27 AM
When you turn your highs on you said you blow a fuse, but after that fuse blows do your low beams still work?

I ask because my lows work fine,, nice and bright but when I turn on the highs the lights go out,, turn the lows on again and no problem...
Are there different fuses for the high and low. I only jumped on this thread cuz it seems similar to my problem.

quad2xtreme
05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by johnsls
When you turn your highs on you said you blow a fuse, but after that fuse blows do your low beams still work?

I ask because my lows work fine,, nice and bright but when I turn on the highs the lights go out,, turn the lows on again and no problem...
Are there different fuses for the high and low. I only jumped on this thread cuz it seems similar to my problem.

Only one fuse.

/Jon

04TRX400EX
05-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by -copyguy-
The last time this topic came up, it ended up being the wires running to the lights themselves had the insulation rubbed off from just normal riding. Is this a 400ex?

This just came up recently. It seems to be a common problem on 400EX's. I know it happened to me too. More likely than not there is a short or exposed wire, as mentioned above. Otherwise, as in my case, the problem just went away :confused: :)

ReconRider25
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
i had this problem before. ended up being the black blob switch on the handlebars for the hi/low. when i found this out was during when i converted over to a kx kill as a start button and i used a toggle for my hi/low/off and put it next to my neutral indicator.

quad2xtreme
05-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by johnsls

Your issue is with the bulb. The contact is most likely worn down on the bulb. A cheap man's fix is to use your soldering gun and just put a bit more solder on the contacts on the bulb. I saved both my bulbs this way when I was having the same problem you mention. Ironically, my blown fuse issue disappeared at the same time. Could be that I moved the wires around and it isn't grounding any more.

/Jon

Rancher2005
05-24-2006, 08:05 PM
i took my headlight assembly apart to find that the bulb had become crooked in it's mounting bracket. i think that either this was causing it to arc or one of the wires that had worn through was causing the high amperage draw. some of the other wires had started to melt as well...not sure which thing caused which..but i fixed the bulb position, and put some electrical to protect the wires.. i put it all back together and it solved the problem...thanks for all of you help everyone