View Full Version : DONT BUY primary drive!

450robot
05-21-2006, 09:40 PM
well, after only an hour of racing this is what happened to my primary drive chain

it stretched to the point of hopping off my rear sprocket, and coiling up near the front, thank god it didnt take out the shifter shaft or worse :eek:

what im worried about is, when it happened, my engine revved up real fast, now, how could that happen if the chain was jamming the front sprocket from moving? you dont think it stripped out my tranny do you?:eek:

i havent had a chance to start up my motor or anything yet, so i guess i will find out

Mxjunkie
05-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Jesus, how loose was it before that?

boricua
05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
its happened to me on one of my dirt bikes. it revs up fast because there is no load just before the chain gets sucked up in there. if the gears blew, it would have made an uglier sound.
the chain wants to track right, it just wont handle the quick jump in RPMs and binds up at the sprocket

zeppelin
05-21-2006, 09:47 PM
thats weird i have their stuff on 3 of my bikes for atleast 4 months now and im pretty impressed with it so far.

450robot
05-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Jesus, how loose was it before that?

it had about 1 inch of play from top to bottom movement (what honda reccomends)

it was just tightened the night before the race

Mxjunkie
05-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Thats crazy, maybe the carrier came loose? :confused: I've never seen or herd of a chain streching that fast!

Do you have a chain roller and sliders?

05-21-2006, 09:52 PM
wow thats not loose at all :huh did you make sure the bolts were tightened all the way before you rode it

450robot
05-21-2006, 09:53 PM
nope, it was in the same position i set it in

i always make a mark on the carrier over to the swingarm with a sharpie

so if i look at it, and the mark moves away from the one on the swinger, i know it has changed.

but they line up

coryatver
05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
every new chain I have had always stretched a lot initially.. after a few chain adjustments it stays about the same.

05-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 450robot

so if i look at it, and the mark moves away from the one on the swinger, i know it has changed.

but they line up

wow thats weird

400exrules
05-21-2006, 10:06 PM
i have a renthal front sprocket(new), primary drive rear(new) and and DID chain(new) they have a few good rides on them now and the chain has stretched alittle bit, which is normal for it being new....but not that much

Rootar
05-21-2006, 10:46 PM
my brother runs primary drive chains and sprokets and they work flawlessly

btw ths should be lesson learned NEVER EVER race on a brand new chain, no matter what the brand and hour of racing is hell on a new chain and will strech it tremendosly everyone knows after installing a new chain you have to retighten it after the first 30 minutes of Normal riding NOT racing and then you keep and eye on it for the first few rides after

now just take a link (or 2 out maybe) and tighten it up it and it should be fully streched by now for sure it might strech a hair more primary drive is good stuff especailly for the prcie

honduh440
05-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by 450robot

but they line up

do you change the line everytime you go to tighten the chain? or are you setting it to the same mark everytime?

bwamos
05-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Been running P.D. for years. Never had a problem with them. Infact most P.D. chains have a higher tensile strength than D.I.D. does.

Could have been a faulty chain, or you could have been adjusted a tad loose to begin with, and then when the chain stretched, it had just enough slack to come off the rear sprocket.

I can't really say.. but from my experience with PD, it seems to be a fluke, rather than a rule.

pit/wood
05-22-2006, 08:35 AM
check your carrier bearings,if they have any movement it can cause misalignment and the chain can jump off. Is that rust on the chain I see?

xsr_racing28c
05-22-2006, 08:36 AM
I put a DID X-ring chain on before the NC National races this weekend up in Wisconsin, and Over the coarse of the weekend, the chain did stretch alot, and needed to be adjusted , but that is just normal. I think you should have watched it more carefully knowing it was a new chain....

450robot
05-22-2006, 10:14 AM
ya, i probbably should have watched it, i didnt really know that they stretched that much new

o well lesson learned

Plante400
05-22-2006, 11:27 AM
ive seen that happen twice before...

its quite a pain to get it out

tater_kamik
05-22-2006, 02:38 PM
same thing happened to my sidewinder chain yesterday, cut one side of a link off. i had just checked the tension right before riding too.

theTman
05-22-2006, 02:55 PM
:devil: i know how that feels

wilkin250r
05-22-2006, 05:13 PM
You didn't bother to give it a "test drive" before you went racing?!?!? :eek2: Oh, bonehead move. Let's hope it wasn't too expensive.

Just about any new chain has a stretch period, even those that are listed as "pre stretched". It's not uncommon to re-adjust a new chain three times in the first ten minutes, and a few more within the next half hour. Generally, all is well and fine after an hour or so, as long as you really got on it to break it in properly.

I'd suggest you ride for a minute or so, just above idle, then re-adjust. Another minute or so, and adjust again.

Me, I just take my chain adjustment tools and hit the trails, stopping every few minutes. I bet I adjust about eight or nine times.

YFZ450Ridr
05-22-2006, 06:34 PM
i got a new primary drive chain about 9 months ago when my stock one snapped. its alright but it stretches alot and i have to tighten it after every ride. not the best quality chain i think.

450robot
05-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You didn't bother to give it a "test drive" before you went racing?!?!? :eek2: Oh, bonehead move. Let's hope it wasn't too expensive.

Just about any new chain has a stretch period, even those that are listed as "pre stretched". It's not uncommon to re-adjust a new chain three times in the first ten minutes, and a few more within the next half hour. Generally, all is well and fine after an hour or so, as long as you really got on it to break it in properly.

I'd suggest you ride for a minute or so, just above idle, then re-adjust. Another minute or so, and adjust again.

Me, I just take my chain adjustment tools and hit the trails, stopping every few minutes. I bet I adjust about eight or nine times.

no no no, i have used it before the race, actually, a fulls days worth of abuse, and adjusting at the atvriders breezewood ride, and then some at my house

i figured it wouldve finished stretching out by then, but i guess not

05-22-2006, 09:09 PM
my DID xring gold series chain never needed to be adjusted since I put it on. I have about 6 hours on it now