PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem maybe??

08-08-2002, 05:36 AM
'Sup all??? I've got a little problem with my 300EX that I can't see to figure out. Ok, sometimes my bike turns overa little slow but it cranks over enough till it starts. It's got a new sealed battery in it thats holding a little over 12v so I know it's not that. And besides, when I hooked it to a battery charger just to be sure it still does the same. Well, anyway, the other day I started it up and went for a short ride. After I put it back in the garage it wouldn't turn over at all. I'm thinking it's the starter selonoid but I'm not sure.... Turn the key, and hit the started button and nothin'. I hooked up the battery charger to it and nothing. I hooked the charger directly to the starter selonoid and it cranked over one or twice really slow but thats it. I also cut the neutral saftey switch wires and put them together cause I thought that might have been the problem. No luck of course :( I checked the fuses and everything else that would have been obvious, or so I thought. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what or where I should start???? Thanx's a mill!
Ted

330exracer122
08-08-2002, 08:36 AM
it s not ur started seliond trust me on that its a loose wire somewhere. this happens to me all the time.

08-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Well, I shall look around and see what I can find. IS there any way to check the starter selonoid? I have a fluke and I'm not scared to use it,LoL. Anybody know how a machine would act when it goes bad? Thanx's again all.
Ted

Pappy
08-08-2002, 09:33 AM
ocv on the battery should be 12.5 or higher ...if not charge it at 2 amps for 30 mins.

ocv at the starter should also be 12.5 ...hit the switch and see what the ocv drops too...shouldnt fall below 11.4 i beleive. if it drops below 10.9 volts...i would have the battery tested with a conductance tester and if it passed i would consider getting a new starter.

330exracer122
08-08-2002, 10:33 AM
ill tell u if its a loose wire put a screw driver inbetween the to post on the starter seleniod it should start up if ur key an kill switch is on. an if it cranks/start its a lose wire aight peace. note( don't be afriad it will spark like a moher an melt pits in ur screw driver if u have it their long) heheh i like start in my quad like that.

Pappy
08-08-2002, 10:35 AM
it could be a loose wire..but he said he already bypassed the cables and soloniod by jumping the starter.

330exracer122
08-08-2002, 10:39 AM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see i don't its his starter it still do stuff like make a bunch of noises. note i don't know what hookin the bat charger directly to the seleniod will do ne thing.
um another thing does ur nutrel light light up? an or reverse since u cut the nutreul.

08-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Hey thanx's for all the info so far. I've tried just about everything....I did notice that even the head lights are not coming on. I had thought they were but nope. Anyway....No one ever did say if they new how you could check the starter selonoid.....Ohms maybe Conitunity? I dunno...After I had no power to the head lights, I traced the wires back to the Voltage regulator and thats where the power stops. Power goes in at 12.47 volts but I'm not getting anything out. It measures at like 1.37 ohms resistance....Anybody have a service manual laying around? I'm sure it should say how to go about checking this. Maybe I'll have to pick one up. I hate to though cause I was trying to get rid of the bike anyway. Oh well. Again, all suggestions would be great. Later
Ted

08-08-2002, 08:00 PM
No thoughts out there???

Pappy
08-08-2002, 08:03 PM
hey ...where ya at in baltimore? hope ya aint in the city...i live in westminster..carroll county

08-08-2002, 08:43 PM
Na, actually I'm a little north east of the city....Harford Co. Is there anywhere kewl to ride out there in Westminster? Nothin' here in Ha.Co. Always looking for places to ride. WEll, as soon as I get this thing back together.