PDA

View Full Version : Help -- Punctured Tire!

rsbeck
05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Hello -- I am new to the world of ATV's. I bought my kids a Honda TRX90. They rode it for about an hour on some trails around our ranch and blew out a rear tire.

Questions;

Can the tire be repaired?

Does the TRX90 come with cheap tires?

Are there better tires for the TRX90 that will last longer?

I don't want to be replacing tires very often, so I would love an education on this topic.

yellowzo3
05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
most stock quads come with cheap tires from the factory..there are many different brands and tire patterns for different riding enviorments...so the first question would be the different terrain the quad would be seeing...im not sure how bad the hole in the tire is but i would recomend getting some new tires for it if you could...theyd last longer and work better too...but let us know what kind of terrain it is...sandy, rocky, mud...etc, and ill try to help you find some good tires for it..there are tons of educated people on this site that would be glad to help...sorry for the long post and Welcome to the site!!

Chango
05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Put a plug in it don't buy new tires yet.Go to auto parts store and buy a plug kit...$5.00 fixed belive me you will get more flats untill your kids get more time on the quad and can avoid the danger spots for tires...Normal stuff..

boricua
05-21-2006, 08:21 PM
whatever tire you get more than likely, it can be repaired.....even while mounted. there are some tire plugs that i use. you can get them at walmart, some grocery stores, and auto shops and theyre cheaper than slime or anything like that. plus they dont throw the balance off like slime can. they look like the string thats on a hooded sweater and its covered with some dark sticky stuff. some kits come with everything you need, some with just replacement strings, usually 4 strings - 1 per hole. the stuff works. all you need is the tool to poke it in the hole/puncture, comes in the kit. you dont even need to air out the tire or wait very long for it to dry. when set, it will fill the hole, bond with the tire and create a seal. all in less than 5 min. it will take longer to find the hole. i cant remember how big a hole it will work on though, probably not much bigger than 1/8 of an inch. far cheaper than tires or getting a tire patched.

rsbeck
05-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks! The quad will see various types of terrain on our ranch. There are woods, fire roads, grasslands, some mud, some rocky areas, and hills. Most of the terrain tends to be quite bumpy, even the fire roads, no place to really open up and fly, but the challenging ride is rewarded with rather interesting and beautiful vistas.

rsbeck
05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the tire fix suggestions. Plugs sound like a good quick fix so I can get them up and riding again ASAP. Then, I can take my time -- with the help of the kind and informative people here -- searching for better tires.

Thanks for answering my newbie questions without making me feel like an idiot.

boricua
05-21-2006, 09:31 PM
you got it boss......:macho

the plug does sound like a temporary fix. for example.....one of my plugs have been in the sidewall of my front tire on my 400ex since i bought it new from the dealer.

its a 2000 400ex.:bandit:

you can reeeaaallly take your time:)

rsbeck
05-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Excellent suggestion. The plug works. Took just a few minutes and my kids are off and riding again.

The tires that come with the TRX90 are Maxxis two ply. I am still curious about what tires to get for an upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Chino886
05-23-2006, 12:04 PM
from the terrain that you described, I would suggest some 6 ply tires, or some 4 ply with slime in them.

You can't go wrong with Maxxis, Kenda, or ITP, any of those will bring smiles to your kids faces. (might hurt your pocket book)

I am not sure who makes the best tires for small quads, those are the best for big kid quads......:devil:

boricua
05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
are you not happy with the current tires? if your just looking for longer wearing/lasting tire then those suggested should work. they are pricey though. other wise you can get another set of what you already have or buy a used set. i doubt the little guys will notice any traction problems......;)
keep a supply of plugs handy until youre ready......:macho

rsbeck
05-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Is there a limit to how many times you can plug a tire?

boricua
05-27-2006, 04:58 PM
when you run out of plugs....:devil:

i have 3 in one tire now..... holds air, cheaper than a new tire.

i wouldnt think there is a limit on how many but how big a hole. after a while, if it starts to leak it might be harder to tell from which plug (if there're many). tire might wear out before you reach that point though......

i have seen 5 on one tire. i thought it was a lot, but it lasted the entire weekend without fail.....:ermm: :macho

rsbeck
05-31-2006, 12:12 AM
Well, the right rear tire now has two plugs. Man, I am glad you gave me the tip about these plugs. My son told me the tire was "leaking air again." I found the nail, prepared the tire, inserted the plug, filled the tire, and he was riding again in just minutes! Okay, I am now convinced. I am a confirmed plug believer. I just wonder if there comes a point where, for any reason, you can have so many plugs in one tire that it compromises the integrity of the tire and it becomes dangerous. I guess I won't worry about it until I get at least five o' them suckers in there.
To think, the guy at the Honda outlet here in town told me you couldn't repair these tires and I would have to buy a new one --- glad I checked in here before I got ripped off.

aci clay
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
need 2 find a place 2 ride without all the nails

boricua
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
lol, thats funny....they told you the tires are not repairable.....
they could have saved face by simply saying they didnt know, :o
i think i would be concerned if all or most of the holes were really close to each other. if they are spread out, you might be ok. a high priced tire is not puncture proof, just more resistant to punctures. if you get 3 holes in a day, then maybe you'll get just one, if any.........

....yeah they dont make tires for your application, so your gonna have to buy another one quad - sorry.....:devil: :blah: