PDA

View Full Version : Intake systems for trucks

86350x
05-21-2006, 07:27 PM
After my year of free air filters are up, I'd like to get a k/n,fram,air raid, or whatever intake system for it. Since I'll never have to buy an air filter for it, just clean it. And its supposed to maybe increase mpg and power.

I don't see it making a huge difference in both categories, but a little would be good.

Anyone else do this to there car or truck, and was it worth the time or money?

ELewandowski
05-21-2006, 08:04 PM
A k&n air filter is worth the money. I don't notice any big difference with them as far as performance or gas mileage goes, but you just clean it every few thousand miles and your good to go.

86350x
05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
I mean the system's that delete the old air box/cold air.

ELewandowski
05-21-2006, 08:10 PM
oh ok, cold air intake. Those cost quite a bit more, a k&n CAI and an exhaust system will make a big differnce. If you upgrade your intake, you should upgrade the exhaust too for maximum gain.

86350x
05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I'd like to oder a full jba exhaust (headers too) but have to talk to ford first. This stuff is for my new f150. Since it already goes over 100mph (never had it cut out:confused: ) I don't need a cumpter reprogrammer.

Figured I'd start with the intake system.

300exOH
05-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 86350x
I'd like to oder a full jba exhaust (headers too) but have to talk to ford first. This stuff is for my new f150. Since it already goes over 100mph (never had it cut out:confused: ) I don't need a cumpter reprogrammer.

Figured I'd start with the intake system.

I put a cold air intake on my 4 cyl. truck and really noticed a difference in torque and top end power. I would think you would see similar gains on yours. Stay away from the ones the just draw hot air from under the hood though. Go for ones that either come with a better airbox or utilizes the stock airbox so you get colder air to the engine. I have a True Flow intake kit and it uses a filter almost identical to the UNI atv filters w/ stock airbox and replaces the factory ducting/resonator with a mandrel bent intake tube. I can't comment on the fuel economy part though since I tend to have my foot in it more with the cold air kit.:devil:

05-21-2006, 09:31 PM
i put a AIRAID cold air intake system in my dads v6 f150 and it makes a big hp increase and it only took 20 mins to install

boricua
05-21-2006, 09:40 PM
i got a s 10 4 cyl. with k&n CAI and exhaust. i noticed a little bit at the bottom, but definately more in the upper mid to top end. it also allowed it to rev easier up to the limiter. really didnt notice much gas mileage gains though and i barely breath on the petal.
it really isnt much of a difference, but there is one. id say 8-12 hp depending on the application. maybe less.