PDA

View Full Version : Royce Gracie versus Matt Hughes

quad2xtreme
05-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Can hardly wait for the fight this Saturday night. Plan on watching it at Breezewood Proving Grounds on the big screen.

I am looking for the unexpected to happen...Royce may submit Matt. Today's rules favor Matt...shorter time limit and the refs standing you back up are probably the two biggies that favor Matt.

I wasn't impressed with Matt when he submitted George St. Pierre. I would love to see a rematch on this one.

What do you guys think?

Who all is planning to be at Breezewood Saturday night for the fight?

/Jon

Mxjunkie
05-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Were going to try and come up saturday night and camp out and ride sunday :cool:

I cant wait to see the fight, I think Matt will take it

quad2xtreme
05-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Were going to try and come up saturday night and camp out and ride sunday :cool:

I cant wait to see the fight, I think Matt will take it

I would say there is a 90% chance you are right. I shoudn't say I am looking for the unexpected to happen...more like I am hoping the unexpected happens. It would bring some much needed excitement back. If Royce could win then I would love to see him against George St. Pierre. That guy is an exciting fighter to watch.

Matt will gain my full respect if he can submit or knock out Royce. I won't be impressed with a decision at all. Just one more "new rule" that favors Matt.

/Jon

honduh440
05-21-2006, 05:43 PM
UFC IS THE SHEEET!!!

jdwxv3
05-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I want Matt to win but I dont think he will:(

05-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Are you guys talkin about the first Gracie that won the first few UFC's many years ago? I thought he retired?

86350x
05-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Easy win for matt..........IMO of coarse, but anything can happen.

We'll see.

450rJam
05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
yes its the first gracie that won some crazy fights over some super bad @sses.
he is getting older now but looks like he is still in shape, he never was muscular build.
matt is the real deal but he better take this figh serious because there is alot at stake.
I personally think gracie has more to lose, he is a living legend and most likely past his prime,
I agree the new rules favor the quick punches and brutal pounding on the ground which are hughes best skills, gracie used stamina to outlast then submit the other fighter.
I dont recal gracie ever knocking a fighter out with strikes (I could be wrong but I have seen most of his fights)
I just hope its a good fight that goes 3 rounds and ends with a tap or ko.........gracie use to fight several times in one night, back when it was like a tournament.
one advantage gracie has is watching film on matt. The only film matt can check out gracie on is like 5 or 6 years old.

dan harris
05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
No matter who wins its gonna be a good fight and a good time watching it outside by the campfire on a big screen TV.

..........Also bring any video footage you have of good riding and we'll play it before or after the fight.

See you all here this weekend

400exrules
05-21-2006, 09:16 PM
i say matt knocks him out cold

i dont think gracie will get far with his submissions and crap since matt is so strong

450rJam
05-22-2006, 04:26 AM
gracie is getting older but he has won aginst some pretty strong people in the past.

quad2xtreme
05-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam
gracie is getting older but he has won aginst some pretty strong people in the past.

People who haven't been following the UFC may not realize the early days didn't have weight classes. Royce has beat many guys who were much larger than Matt. Age may be a factor but Royce has been training as always for years. If Matt beats him, it probably has to do more with the fighters of today truly being experienced in more than one style or discipline of fighting. The question I have is whether Matt's ground and pound will work on Royce or will he get submitted. Man I hope this isn't some 8 second fight with a quick knockout.

dan harris
05-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Does anybody know what other fights are on the ticket for that night???

quad2xtreme
05-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Dan,

The card is subject to change but this is the latest I scraped together from www.sherdog.com

Definitely going to be shown:

Matt Hughes vs Royce Gracie - Main Event
Brandon Vera vs Assuerio Silva
Mike Swick vs Joe Riggs
Diego Sanchez vs John Allessio

Unlikely to be shown in the entirety:

Chael Sonnen and Jeremy Horn
Allessio Sakara vs Dean Lister
Gabriel Gonzaga vs Fabiano Scherner
Melvin Guillard vs Rick Davis
Spencer Fisher vs Matt Wiman

I'm wearing my riding helmet during the fights just in case Pappy gets too excited! lol :D

/Jon

quad2xtreme
05-22-2006, 05:55 PM
The one thing that is hard to respect about Matt Hughes is he has never avenged a loss. He lost to BJ Penn in early 2004 and never fought him again. He lost twice to Dennis Hallman and once to Jose Landi-Jons.

I am surprised how many people thinks Matt's strength is a big advantage. Royce has beaten guys way bigger than Matt like Dan Severn. Royce has incredible stamina as he often fought in tournaments. In fact one of his losses was because he didn't even start a fight because he got injured during the previous bout that he won.

He will be 40 in December though so age is definitely on Matt side.

There is a special on tonight profiling this fight.

The more I think about it, the more I can see Matt getting submitted.

/Jon

JIMTED79
05-22-2006, 07:05 PM
I think matt has this fight all day long IMO. There are a lot more and a lot better fighters in the UFC now, just ask Tito, he beat Kens *****. And compare records matt has over twice as many fights but I do hope it goes into the second round and matt wins by KNOCK OUT!!!

AtvMxRider
05-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by jdwxv3
I want Matt to win but I dont think he will:(

You are crazy. I don't think Gracie has a chance.

quad2xtreme
05-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
You are crazy. I don't think Gracie has a chance.

Same thing was said about BJ Penn who is also a submission expert. "No chance in hell he could beat Matt" and yet he did. Matt was all but submitted by Renato Verissimo in his very next fight. Renato made an amateur mistake thinking he already had Matt out so he didn't grab his arm when he had him in a triangle. Matt's other submission losses were earlier in his career when he was just a wrestler so they don't count for much. Royce definitely has a chance as it only takes one mistake. I think Matt's best chance is to keep the fight standing and hope for a lucky shot. Many bigger guys have failed thinking they could walk over Royce. He submitted Dan Severn in Dan's prime when he was 270 lbs. Nobody thought a 170 lb fighter could submit a guy with the strength of Dan Severn. I expect an exciting fight. It certainly is the most interesting fight to come a long in quite some time.

The Swick/Riggs fight should be a good one too.

/jon

05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
xbox 360 has a super sweet 5 minute video highlighting this fight. I am going for GRACIE

450rJam
05-23-2006, 04:15 AM
I think it was renato who did have matt out literally on his feet with a leg triangle but when they came down off the fence renato was knocked out also.
matt won because he woke up first lol
gracie is a bad man, shamrock caught him while striking and didnt drop him (big mouse under gracies eye).
Im with the most of you guys in hoping its a good fight that dont end too soon.
(didnt realize until last nights preview, gracie is bigger than matt)

jlhughes750
05-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Gracie IS much bigger than Matt.... I've been a fan of Gracie since the begining, but I'm routin for Matt of course!!! As far as wrestling and submision, I think Matts gotten really good latley!! He may take Gracie out using his own game!!

quad2xtreme
05-23-2006, 06:49 AM
I think it was renato who did have matt out literally on his feet with a leg triangle but when they came down off the fence renato was knocked out also.
matt won because he woke up first lol
gracie is a bad man, shamrock caught him while striking and didnt drop him (big mouse under gracies eye).
Im with the most of you guys in hoping its a good fight that dont end too soon.
(didnt realize until last nights preview, gracie is bigger than matt)

You are getting confused with the Carlos Newton fight. Matt picked him up and carried him to the fence held him there and then slammed him down. Carlos was knocked out.

Renato Verissimo lost by a unanimous decision that was very controversial. To this day people still argue over this outcome. Renato won the first 2 rounds but Matt dominated in the 3rd. Matt was not champion at the time due to his loss to BJ Penn so he should not have been given any Champion's edge.

It is tough to only look at BJ Penn's record. This guy moves around in weight classes like crazy just looking for a good fight. It isn't likely you will see him fight Matt again any time soon unless he is given a title match

It is possible for Matt to submit Royce but Royce wrestles much of the time in Japan where submissions are the name of the game. Of course Matt is way stronger than any other wrestler pound for pound. Even the heavyweight guys are amazed at Matt's strength. But Royce is like a boa constrictor, he just stays really tight to keep from getting hit and slowly tightens down until you can't move. But Matt....geez this can just go either way.

I would love to see a best of 3. For the 1st, they could only wrestle to a submission (meaning see them fight once where no hitting is allowed). Then the last 2 could be all out fights.

Damn, I get excited just thinking about the fight! It will be even better watching it live with a bunch of other people at Breezewood.

05-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Royce has a chance but I think Matt is too strong,skilled and prepared for Royce.Matt has been fighting top competition for years and only lost to BJ Penn.It will be a good fight my money is on Matt.

I want a Hughes/St Pierre rematch next.

Also mark my words BRANDON VERA is for real.In the next year he will be wearing the HW belt.I have followed him for the last 2 years in King of the Cage.

Anyone ever watch PRIDE,much better than UFC

dan harris
05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Spike tv had an hour special on last night about both fighters. Man is that one hard to call. All the ufc champs seem to think that Matt has it.

.......I think matts a little too confident. I thought royce was older then 40, I don't think his age should be a problem if he's only 40. He looks to be in great shape, relaxed and ready to fight. I don't know if i'd bet on it but I think Gracie may beat him. Like you said Gracie has submitted much bigger and stronger guys. Definately going to be interesting to see who wins.

450rJam
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I am usually confused lol
your right it was newton, he had a leg triangle on hughes and hughes picked him up and they ended up on the fence. hughes went to sleep and when they came down it knocked newton out.
then hughes woke up quicker and won.
this fight should be one of the great ones but the promoters have a way of making a onesided fight look like anyones game.

deigo sanches is one ugly sucker but he is pretty tuff lol
the riggs fight should be good also.
I wish I lived closer, sounds like a blast.
pride fighting does have some of the baddest fighters around,
rampage jackson could tear up a hammer in a sand box.

05-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I am usually confused lol
yet you still bash other forum members...isnt that funny?

450rJam
05-23-2006, 04:08 PM
fun funny........its all good
Im up for a good time all the time.
fighting, playing, what ever comes my way Ill take what I get.
some of the funniest things I have seen are crashes where someone was getting stupid (sometimes Im the one getting laughed at)
I appoligized to you mixedupmike, if your skin is that thin that you cant take some fun being poked at you then your robbing yourself of some good times and great memories.

you have a good day :D

Quad Boy 660r
05-23-2006, 04:23 PM
I haven't really followed UFC all that much except a few fights and watching the Ultamite Fighter 2 Series, but I think that Hughes is way to cocky. I know he's a champ and has the right to talk,but still.

he seems to be a 95% wrestler, which is good cause most fights go to the ground, but in standups he might run into trouble.

05-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Gracie has got it in the bag, I tell you what will happen, in Round 2 Hughes will be controlling the fight and being cocky and thinking its won and in the last 2 or 3 minutes he will unexpectedly be put in a submission by Gracie, I think you guys forgot about wat a stud gracie used to be, his age doesent matter, Its been proven older fighters can still be good... look at Ric Flair!! :rolleyes: except WWE is fake.. and gay!! but enough Gracie vs. Hughes talk lets see Tito vs. Shamrock #2... I hate Shamrock.. he needs a good old *** beaten, but Ortiz did that the 1 time and Shamrock still mouths... :ermm:

450rJam
05-23-2006, 05:26 PM
shamrock use to be really tuff but now he has lost the edge.
he isnt much of a coach in my opinion either.
I dont think he will fight tito again
you guys remember vitor belfort ? (spelling may be off)
I thought that guy was going to dominate everything, where did he go ?

05-23-2006, 05:41 PM
I think The best fighter in UFC right now is Chuck Liddel, he is one bad mamma jamma, seriously though I would rather see Liddel vs. Hughes, but Orvlasky is pretty bad to, I think i spelled it wrong but oh well, but the next best fighter will be Kalib Barnes who is currently in Ultimate Fighter 3.. Barnes is awesome, he can box, wrestle and submit.. hes all around.

quad2xtreme
05-23-2006, 05:46 PM
shamrock use to be really tuff but now he has lost the edge.
he isnt much of a coach in my opinion either.
I dont think he will fight tito again
you guys remember vitor belfort ? (spelling may be off)
I thought that guy was going to dominate everything, where did he go ?

The problem is Shamrock is 42 and Ortiz is only 31. Ortiz just beat Vitor back in February of 2005 on a split decision. Personally, I think they should do away with split decisions. If 3 judges can't agree on an outcome then it is a draw. Make them go another round! Ding Ding!!!

30 is prime for fighting. It is when you have experience and the body is still young.

/Jon

quad2xtreme
05-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 11crash11
I think The best fighter in UFC right now is Chuck Liddel, he is one bad mamma jamma, seriously though I would rather see Liddel vs. Hughes, but Orvlasky is pretty bad to, I think i spelled it wrong but oh well, but the next best fighter will be Kalib Barnes who is currently in Ultimate Fighter 3.. Barnes is awesome, he can box, wrestle and submit.. hes all around.

You are mixing up weight classes. What you really want to see is Clash of the Champions....Pride versus UFC.

/Jon

05-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Im just basing it on who is best overall, and Chuck Liddel is really the best, Liddel in my mind is the most overall fighter out there and he is great stand up. However in 3-4 years Barnes will be the face of UFC.

450rJam
05-23-2006, 07:03 PM
kalib starnes, is who I think your speaking of.
he is on team shamrock and won his first fight, if you can call it a
fight. The guy he beat didnt bring much to the table.

jdwxv3
05-23-2006, 07:57 PM
They say that Ed Herman is one bad SOB. The Kaleb guy did not impress me all that much. And one of my fav fighters is Deigo Sanchez!! Whew he is mean as hell!! One I dont like is Nick the prick Diaz!! Anyway. I would LOVE to see a battle of the champions Pride vs UFC. I tend to think that UFC is like the pros and Pride is like the minors.. But before you bash I dont watch Pride much b/c it is never on so I really dont know. I dont wanna get into a 3 pg arguement over it. Anyway I cant wait for Saturday! It will be awesome. Later, Josh

JIMTED79
05-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Whats up with pride fighting, never seen it but i'm all about ufc. Whats different about pride and why do some of you guys like it better?

quad2xtreme
05-23-2006, 08:12 PM
To read pages and pages and pages and pages to the nth degree about which organization is better and why, go to www.sherdog.com. It is never ending...

I don't look at one organization as being better. I look at it like boxing where you have various organizations. Even in pro wrestling that is fake, you have Vince McMahon trying to rule over every wrestler and take advantage of them from a contract standpoint that they end up joining another association. There is a guy named Rampage that just left Pride for another start-up type of association. He got paid more. You only get to fight in the UFC if you sign a contract with the UFC...of course, Dana White will decide what your deal is for you. If you like it you fight in the UFC, if not, you don't. I don't think any organization can claim to have all the best.

/Jon

450rJam
05-24-2006, 04:15 AM
well put.
not sure about the contract things, chuck liddel faught rampage in the pride ring.
its all great to watch, I like the ufc better, it is like the original.
the ring is unique also, pride fights in a boxing ring.

quad2xtreme
05-24-2006, 05:58 AM
well put.
not sure about the contract things, chuck liddel faught rampage in the pride ring.
its all great to watch, I like the ufc better, it is like the original.
the ring is unique also, pride fights in a boxing ring.

Yea that fight (Rampage by TKO over Chuck) was almost 3 years ago. I really think the contract changes have occurred in the last 2 years or so with the success of the UFC...especially due to the reality show. I guess time will tell. It sure seems like there is no interest in unifying the championship belts or even having them go head-to-head.

/Jon

400exrules
05-24-2006, 02:44 PM
ya i think the ultimate fighter reality show has helped the UFC