PDA

View Full Version : Lectron mounting solution.

rummerd
05-21-2006, 02:35 PM
For those of you that have a Letron carb, are you bothered by the way it mounts? I never really liked having it canted in the 1 o'clock position, it just seems like a Mickey Mouse way to do things. After calling around it seems like just about nobody has a better way to do it. My issues were specifically the way it mounted, and the need to move the air box up to try and get a good seal to the carb boot. I have a very easy and inexpensive solution. You need a short section of 2" OD tubing with a wall thickness of .065, a short piece of 2" ID rubber hose ( I used a piece of radiator hose I had laying around) and 2 hose clamps. Mount your carb to the airbox boot and measure the distance from the front of your carb to the intake manifold. Add 1/4" to that and cut a piece of the 2"OD tubing to match. Cut a piece of the rubber hose and mate your spacer to the carb, use the 2 hose clamps to secure it. Now you can install your Lectron in a straight up position, there is plenty of room.
I have not noticed a difference in performance at all, but since the intake tract is now just a bit longer, there should be just a little more top end power with maybe some loss on the bottom. Since the Lectron likes to run up top anyhow, I don't really notice any difference. Let me know if this helps anyone out.

Chino886
05-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by rummerd
For those of you that have a Letron carb, are you bothered by the way it mounts? I never really liked having it canted in the 1 o'clock position, it just seems like a Mickey Mouse way to do things. After calling around it seems like just about nobody has a better way to do it. My issues were specifically the way it mounted, and the need to move the air box up to try and get a good seal to the carb boot. I have a very easy and inexpensive solution. You need a short section of 2" OD tubing with a wall thickness of .065, a short piece of 2" ID rubber hose ( I used a piece of radiator hose I had laying around) and 2 hose clamps. Mount your carb to the airbox boot and measure the distance from the front of your carb to the intake manifold. Add 1/4" to that and cut a piece of the 2"OD tubing to match. Cut a piece of the rubber hose and mate your spacer to the carb, use the 2 hose clamps to secure it. Now you can install your Lectron in a straight up position, there is plenty of room.
I have not noticed a difference in performance at all, but since the intake tract is now just a bit longer, there should be just a little more top end power with maybe some loss on the bottom. Since the Lectron likes to run up top anyhow, I don't really notice any difference. Let me know if this helps anyone out.

Post some pics of everything you did

rummerd
05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I didn't take pics. C'mon its a piece of 2" OD tube with some hose clamps on it.

dunny_mark
05-21-2006, 06:51 PM
So how did that make your carb fit better? I can't get the mental picture by your desription. Did it move it down or just out 2 inches? Does it leak at all.

rummerd
05-21-2006, 07:16 PM
For those of you that have a Letron carb

If you have a Lectron, then you should know what I am describing here.
Does it leak at all

What good would any kind of modification be if it leaked?

rummerd
05-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Don't know how much this will help.

Chino886
05-21-2006, 08:26 PM
I didn't take pics. C'mon its a piece of 2" OD tube with some hose clamps on it.

2" outside diameter tube.....rubber, plastic, ?????

I am not trying to be a smartarse, but I want to know what type of "tube" you used.

rummerd
05-21-2006, 08:43 PM
I used a piece of steel tube because that's what I had on hand. 2" outside diameter with wall thickness of .065" will be perfect, just slightly larger than the carb's bell. It is a little snug going into the intake manifold, but not difficult at all. The 2" Inner Diameter rubber hose works perfectly on the carb's bell also. I don't know if aluminum with that wall thickness would be strong enough to keep from deforming under the hoseclamps or not, but the steel tubing is very common and almost free at a scrap yard. Be sure to use the .065 as the .120 wall thickness is going to be smaller than the outlet on your carb (if you have a 38mm lectron) and will most likely not be very good for your performance. If you are running a larger sized Lectron, you will need to use different sized tubing. I can help you find the right size if you want. Ebay has lots of options for different sized tubing and metric sized tubing is becoming easier to come by, more distributers are sizing it in millimeters as well as inches these days.

1fst400
05-21-2006, 08:45 PM
I see what he did.

only prob I see is that the carb being farther away from the engine may afect the power.

Chino886
05-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I use to have a Lectron 38mm, sold it to a member on here.

I have the same problem with my 39mm FCR though.

So you moved the carb further back then right?

rummerd
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes, I put the airbox to its original position and mounted the rear of the carb to it. I made a spacer to go from the front of the carb to the intake manifold. I have the FCR 39 on my other EX and was planning on taking a look at that as well. It fits in there better than the Lectron, but still not perfect. I hate having to rotate the carb to make needle changes. What did you not like about the Lectron?

rummerd
05-21-2006, 10:20 PM
About it affecting power....Like a hi rise intake on a small block chevy I would think. Longer intake tract will give more volume and increase power at higher revs. I have not noticed any power drop or increase though. To be honest, I would think its going to work better, carbs are supposed to be mounted straight up, I always had some fuel drip out of my vent tubes after riding. Not any more.

Chino886
05-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Yes, I put the airbox to its original position and mounted the rear of the carb to it. I made a spacer to go from the front of the carb to the intake manifold. I have the FCR 39 on my other EX and was planning on taking a look at that as well. It fits in there better than the Lectron, but still not perfect. I hate having to rotate the carb to make needle changes. What did you not like about the Lectron?

Acutally I did not ever put the lectron on my EX, I needed a new cable for it and never got around to getting one. I have heard great things about them. I really like the FCR though.....