PDA

View Full Version : Heim joints are shot! What to do?

Sonic400ex
05-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I impulse bought some Full Flight a-arms 3 months ago. Biggest mistake I've made on the pocket book in a while! The tire side heims are shot after 3months. My question is, should I replace the joints w/ ball joints or just eat the loss and get some Burgards. I have 450r front shocks and was planning to the whole suspension rebuilt by Laz w/ his linkage but there is a problem. The measurement from eye to eye at 1.5" off the ground can't be achived w/ the heims. Close as I can get is 4" and the weight of the quad is sitting on the joints. Will ball joints fix this or am I screwed???

Thanks in advance

Jacob

atcdad
05-21-2006, 09:37 AM
I try to tell everyone this, but they dont listen. Not much you can do except buy replacement heims, or new a-arms. The $150.00 you save over a good set of arms is not worth it.

Sonic400ex
05-21-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree, but unfortunately I did find this site until after the fact. and could find much info on them otherwise.Leason learned for sure. Bought quad wreacked at it was the first mod.

prepracing
05-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Honestly, no matter what kind of a-arms you buy if they have heim joints they are going to wear out very quickly if you ride alot. With an open design like heims have wearing out in 3 months is pretty normal. Sealed ball joints are the only way to go unless you just like spending money to replace heims every few months, OR unless someone is sponsering you parts

Sonic400ex
05-21-2006, 11:55 AM
If I replace the heims w/ ball joints will that fix my travel problem? Or is this a problem w/ geometry

roperr
05-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Buy good sealed hiems, and wrap them. They will last. I run mine every weekend, and they are 8 months old now.

JW450R1
05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
sonic,i have a burgard a-arms,axle carrier,and steering stem.i think that was the worst mistake i've made.my ball joints wear out after 5-6 practices on a mx track.i finally just dilled and installed grease fittings.they seem a little better,but i still wear out quickly.try calling east coast atv.they really

TBD
05-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Sonic400ex
If I replace the heims w/ ball joints will that fix my travel problem? Or is this a problem w/ geometry
You aren't going to be able to find ball joints that will thread in to replace the hiems. The hiems are a standard thread and the ball joints that are used in the quad arms are metric thread. Also it will not correct your travel problem. The hiems and ball joints have about the same misalignment range.