PDA

View Full Version : mountain bike

LTZ400rider
05-20-2006, 11:16 PM
lookin to by a mountain bike, full suspension, and under 400 bucks if that even exists. does any1 have any idea? what are some good brands that are affordable

omaits
05-20-2006, 11:39 PM
i-Drive's are very popular with the people I ride with. You might be able to get one on eBay for around 400-500, depending on the condition. 3 of my friends bought them on eBay and they are been great bikes. They are excellent bikes and have a full suspension as well as a lifetime warranty on the frame.

LTZ400rider
05-21-2006, 12:01 AM
is this any good, maybe i can get it for under 250 bucks? http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Specialized-Rockhopper-Full-Suspension_W0QQitemZ7242231571QQcategoryZ98083QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
the only thing it doesnt have is disc brakes, which i really want but for that much money i guess i dont have a choice

MOFO
05-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Why do you think you need full suspension? What kind of riding will you be doing?

$400 for a quality full suspension bike will not get you very much, unless you buy used one for a great price.

For 80% of people that ride MTB, full suspension is overrated IMO.

ELewandowski
05-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Why do you think you need full suspension? What kind of riding will you be doing?

$400 for a quality full suspension bike will not get you very much, unless you buy used one for a great price.

For 80% of people that ride MTB, full suspension is overrated IMO.

What he said. Are you a dowhilller. If you want one for trails, get a hardtail. Ever ride up a steep incline with full sus.? Hardtails are the way to go for trails. Specialized makes good bikes in your price range and so does Trek and GT. Try going to a bike shop and talking to the guys there, they should be able to help you.

05-21-2006, 07:37 AM
full suspension is not exclusivly for downhill. lots of light XC bikes have it, and with new deisgns and shock technogly they can be locked out and basically turned into a hardtail for climbing, specialized has a XC bike that pedal forces do not effect the suspension. a small amount of rear wheel travel can help you ride faster and longer, less fatigue. saying its only for DH'ers and 80% of riders dont need it, is like saying only MX atv riders need shocks and xc riders should have hardtails.

ELewandowski
05-21-2006, 08:39 AM
I guess a better way to put what i said is, for 400 dollars hardtails are a better value. Full sus. mtb cost a lot more than nice entry lvl hardtails.

Hon300ex
05-21-2006, 09:26 AM
i was also thinking about gettin a mountain bike for a little less then 400. i dont know anything about them.... nice thread LTZ400rider

Hon300ex
05-21-2006, 09:47 AM
ltzrider400 i dont know anything about mountain bike but i was on gt's website and this looks good for u. http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/catalog/detail.php?id=832&country=usa&brand=moun it has disc brakes and its 400 dollars

underpowered
05-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Full suspension is nice, but i would kinda rather have a hard tail. i have ridden bikes most of my life and do soqite often and have owned many kinds. i like hard tails for trails and play riding. full suspension is IMO easier to wheelie, i can ride a wheels all day long on my FS bike. My next moutain bike, (if i ever get another one) will be full suspension but with a lock out on the rear shock. these bikes have a hard tail with teh shock lock on, but a huge hit will override it or it can be turned off and used as a FS bike. Right now i am into BMX more than MTB, but will eventually go back just because if you dont have jumps to play with teh BMX bike one, mountain bikes are more fun on trails and around the house..

LTZ400rider
05-21-2006, 11:25 AM
im not really gonna riding alot of trails, mostly pavement, but i wanted something that would be smooth riding. im mostly gonna be riding thru the park and city to take some pictures and maybe occasionally light trails. does that bike on ebay look any good is i get it less than 200 bucks?

MOFO
05-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
im not really gonna riding alot of trails, mostly pavement, but i wanted something that would be smooth riding. im mostly gonna be riding thru the park and city to take some pictures and maybe occasionally light trails. does that bike on ebay look any good is i get it less than 200 bucks?

As posted before, a hard tail is going to be your BEST value without a doubt. A FS bike would be a waste of money for your style of riding.

If you have a limited budget, buy the best bike you can without features you do not need. Think quality - not # of features/toys.

With that said, I personally have a Trek 4500 (hard tail with front suspension). I do the same riding you mentioned... hard pack, some pavement, but overall very mild trails... I could not be happier with this bike and it was a tad over $400.

rmz250
05-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
As posted before, a hard tail is going to be your BEST value without a doubt. A FS bike would be a waste of money for your style of riding.

If you have a limited budget, buy the best bike you can without features you do not need. Think quality - not # of features/toys.

With that said, I personally have a Trek 4500 (hard tail with front suspension). I do the same riding you mentioned... hard pack, some pavement, but overall very mild trails... I could not be happier with this bike and it was a tad over $400.

If you don't mind, you got anymore info on this bike?

spdygonzalez450
05-21-2006, 12:25 PM
i have many bikes, from a full on downhill, to a XC FS, hard tail, cruzer, bmx and now i am looking into a hardtaill for dirt jumping. what you need to look at is what kind of riding you will really be doing. full sespension is really nice on trails and cruzing but with a full sespension some power is lost from the rear wheel moving but like i said befor they are extremly nice to just cruzing around. but like you said before about the kind of riding you want to do a hard tail would suit you more, you can find a really nice one check craigslist, (where you live? there should be one for your area) i have found many bike from their and you can find them realyl cheap. but one word of advice make sure the componets are worth while you can really tell the bottom of the line stuff from the better and top of the line stuff. might have to spend a little more but it would be worth it. go to a bike shop and ride both a hard tail and a FS and see what you like. it is your bike you will know what will be better for you.

Hon300ex
05-21-2006, 12:41 PM
are there any good mountain bike forums?

DillonTMNT
05-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I would lookat lower end gary fishers and lower end treks. I worked in a bike shop and built plenty of those and they seem quality.

-Dillon

Hon300ex
05-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by DillonTMNT
I would lookat lower end gary fishers and lower end treks. I worked in a bike shop and built plenty of those and they seem quality.

-Dillon

lower end gary fishers? the cheapiest they have is like a $700 dollar bike? thats not lowend

LTZ400rider
05-21-2006, 07:24 PM
POST YOUR MTN BIKE!

any1 see the triple tree forks, they r sick as hell