PDA

View Full Version : Cant Get Head off!!

bh2285
05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Im going to replace my cam chain and as I tore off the side case/valve cover I see now that the front guide has chunks and the little lips on the guide are missing so im guessing this is what my noise is. Maybe the cam chain hitting the cylinder walls when the motor is not under power. Because when the motor is not warm it sounds great but as soon as I let off the throttle after its warm I get a noise comes from the right side of the motor that sounds like the chain. Why would it do this only when its warm?

Well anyway Ive got eveything apart and im taking the head off because you cant change the front guide with out do so right? But ive got the head bolts off and I can seem to get it off for anything. Ive hit it with a rubber mallet for like 20 mins stight but it seems like the front side of the head is hanging up the back I can see moving.

Is there anything that I could me missing thats holding in on? Because I mean Ive done everything to get it off and this is not my first head ive taken off by any means.

bh2285
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Oh you can also see in my sig that my Head sutds are 9/16 could this have something to do with it?

hondaracer31
05-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Most likely it's the oversized studs. When they put those in, they never go in perfectly strait, so they drag on the holes.

Chino886
05-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by bh2285
Im going to replace my cam chain and as I tore off the side case/valve cover I see now that the front guide has chunks and the little lips on the guide are missing so im guessing this is what my noise is. Maybe the cam chain hitting the cylinder walls when the motor is not under power. Because when the motor is not warm it sounds great but as soon as I let off the throttle after its warm I get a noise comes from the right side of the motor that sounds like the chain. Why would it do this only when its warm?

Well anyway Ive got eveything apart and im taking the head off because you cant change the front guide with out do so right? But ive got the head bolts off and I can seem to get it off for anything. Ive hit it with a rubber mallet for like 20 mins stight but it seems like the front side of the head is hanging up the back I can see moving.

Is there anything that I could me missing thats holding in on? Because I mean Ive done everything to get it off and this is not my first head ive taken off by any means.

Holy smokes! I was hoping that I was right, good thing you caught it when you did.

bh2285
05-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
Most likely it's the oversized studs. When they put those in, they never go in perfectly strait, so they drag on the holes.

So how would I go about getting them to slide off? I sprayed lube all over to try to get them to loosein..I guess ill wait intill tomarrow see if I can get it to pop off.. Anything else that I could do?

bh2285
05-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Holy smokes! I was hoping that I was right, good thing you caught it when you did.

Yeah, I hope this is my problem. I mean the guide has no lip left on it if you know what im talking about..Ill take a pic of it once I get it out. The Back guide looks fine but im going to change it anyway.

bh2285
05-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Anyone?

bh2285
05-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Beat it with a hammer it came off finally