PDA

View Full Version : a-arms

nicktrx400ex
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
what type of welds should be used on a-arms mig or tig and which is strongest?

boricua
05-20-2006, 04:13 PM
mig is good, real good. usually used for quick production work. its much faster than a tig. the draw back is it can create a lot of heat, not good when your trying to keep heat down to prvent warpage or maintain structural intergrity. tig, is slow, more expensive to get done. not good for production work but keeps the heat down or concentrates more of it in the area where youre working. tig gives good penetration with the least amount of heat expansion which equals a stronger weld. welds are usually cleaner to.
if youre building arms for play, you can mig weld it. mid is still plenty strong, hell they use migs for frame work on cars so it can take it. tig is good, probably better suited for racing where too much heat can affect metalurgy.

nicktrx400ex
05-20-2006, 04:41 PM
tig welding is more of a practice makes perfect concept but mig is just a good way to learn

boricua
05-20-2006, 05:14 PM
not sure if youre telling or asking with that last post.

if asking, then yes. as with anything else, practice makes perfect.
and no. mig is a good way to learn but not to learn tig. they're are not the same. tig is like welding with a gas torch only your using an electric arc to melt the metal. you have the "torch" in one hand with a filler rod in the other which you feed into the molten puddle. you have a pedal that controls the heat of the torch on a tig. so you have control of the arc - heat, and the filler material....how much heat and filler will be needed varies with material. a mig, is more forgiving. you set your heat and wire speed with dials on the machine and go at it. if its not enough you stop, turn up the heat and go again. too much, turn the heat down.
mig is easier to use and cheaper, start with that to get use to seeing how metal melts and how the filler wire is added.
sorry for the drawn out post guys...................:muscle: let me stretch it out here........:cool:

nicktrx400ex
05-20-2006, 05:20 PM
i think i will go with tig welding cause i can get help with it from one of my dads friends and might as well get somthing to push myself at

boricua
05-20-2006, 06:03 PM
go for it then, learning curve may be a bit steeper but, you gotta learn sometime.......

nicktrx400ex
05-20-2006, 06:27 PM
once you learn you never forget somthing this help full.