PDA

View Full Version : Best Axle carrier

Stevo
08-07-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey guys i need to get a new axle carrier for my 400ex. I lost an axle bearing somewhere along the line and it totally gouged the **** out of the carrier and i need to get a new one.

So what is the best carrier out there really? I want one with a grease fitting and i heard tapered bearings last longer than twin row ones? Also should i get an aftermarket axle nut as well or use the stock one? Thanx guys later

Razorback
08-07-2002, 07:58 PM
this post should probably be moved to the appropriate forum, but to answer your question: i have a RAD carrier with an external zerk fitting. it is the twin row type. it is wonderful. i can grease it without taking anything apart. very well made, too. i suspect most of the aftermarket ones are going to be made pretty much the same, and they are mostly within the same price range.

the tapered row will supposedly last longer than the twin row. the only disadvantage is that is has very little room for chain adjustments, so you'd probably go through chains a little more often. that was the reason i went with the twin row, plus it was about $40 cheaper.

definitely go with an aftermarket lock nut. you'll wonder what the heck the honda engineers were thinking if you do. i've got a RAD one and it is awesome. locks nice and tight and i've never had it come loose. the meszaro's is about the same type of thing and there is a review of it on the Reviews page.

Ex'r Marlin
08-08-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by RazorbackEXRider
the tapered row will supposedly last longer than the twin row. the only disadvantage is that is has very little room for chain adjustments, that was the reason i went with the twin row, plus it was about $40 cheaper.

definitely go with an aftermarket lock nut. you'll wonder what the heck the honda engineers were thinking if you do. i've got a RAD one and it is awesome. locks nice and tight and i've never had it come loose. the meszaro's is about the same type of thing and there is a review of it on the Reviews page. I agree!:) I have the Rad Tapered carrier... Love it... But it definetly limits the chain adjustment! I too got the Rad Lock nut.... Like Razorback said... Why did Honda make theres like that??:confused: :rolleyes:

Razorback... Did you locate your grease zerk to the top? If so... Did you have to add spacers in order to mount your skid plate? I ask because I had to add spacers to be able to mount my skid plate due to the new "tapered" bearing axle carrier by Rad. (No biggy... Just something else I had to do to make it work):rolleyes:

Stevo
08-08-2002, 08:38 PM
So i'm guessing rad would be the way to go? I want to get tapered bearings, do u know the cost and best place/cheapest place to get them. thanx lata

Crypted1
08-08-2002, 09:53 PM
RPM Millium carier is the best out there. It is a tapered carier. I can't thinkg of any pros running a RAD carrier. Just my .02

Dave400ex
08-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Does the RPM have a Grease Zerk on the outside like the RAD?

K_Fulk
08-09-2002, 05:53 PM
I have a rpm tapered carrier and front hubs. The bearings never wear out. The rpm dosent have the zerk on the outside but a competent machinist can put one in. I had zerks put on my front hubs.

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-09-2002, 06:16 PM
I personally like the Lonestar Twin Row Carrier :D

Razorback
08-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin

Razorback... Did you locate your grease zerk to the top? If so... Did you have to add spacers in order to mount your skid plate? I ask because I had to add spacers to be able to mount my skid plate due to the new "tapered" bearing axle carrier by Rad. (No biggy... Just something else I had to do to make it work):rolleyes:

mine is actually on the sprocket side, so i didn't have to change anything. i've heard about people having to do what you did with the spacers. i don't know if the tapered vs dual have different zerk locations or if our models are just different in when they were made.

Crypted1 - while i agree the RPM is probably very good, because everything they make is good, just because the pros don't run it, doesn't mean it's not good, it just means the company isn't giving it to the pros to run. you know how things work with sponsorship...

stevo - i got a good deal on mine from C&D Racing 308-696-7805 (their web site is down), but you could also check with the site sponsors, The Quadshop and Marcums - info on the Links page.

Crypted1
08-09-2002, 08:04 PM
the PRM millium carrier has a greese zerk on the outside.

K_Fulk
08-10-2002, 08:00 PM
They do. My tapered bearing carrier is a couple years old.

08-13-2002, 01:16 PM
what's RPM's webpage??????????????

Dave400ex
08-13-2002, 01:31 PM
WWW.Team-RPM.COM

400MXer
08-13-2002, 08:45 PM
I just got a RPM millenium carrier after i destroyed my RPM twin row carrier. I thought the Twin Row carrier was nice, but this one is much nicer. it has a grease zerk.

One word of advice, check your carrier bearings often. I was being LAZY and thats why my twin row carrier was destroyed. the bearings were shot and tore the carrier up, and did some damage to my RPM dominator axle. I learned the hard way, and it cost my lots of money that i could have spent on something else.

Crypted1
08-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Well put!!

Dave400ex
08-14-2002, 08:38 AM
Well I will be checking my Bearings this Winter then.

flaneledholes
08-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Marcums is the cheapest place to by a rad tapered carrier.. $200... Or if you want to go $50 cheaper with a dual row, meszaro motorsports has a dual row for $150...

Just my dime...

Stevo
08-14-2002, 02:14 PM
Is marcums the place where u get a discount if ur an exrider memmber?

Dave400ex
08-14-2002, 02:39 PM
The Quadshop and Marcums.