PDA

View Full Version : Question for LT80

redzoomer
05-20-2006, 04:44 AM
I just bought an 87 LT80 that was parked because it wouldn't crank. the starter button was disconnected and a new wire was run from the battery to a (Model A) push button under the rear fenders straight to the starter..? I'm assuming that the starter relay went out and they bypassed it. Now, my question is... Wouldn't this damage the starter? I hooked the starter to a fresh battery and it nearly burned the wire off.. I'm guessing this starter is smoked. I put the pull start from my son's quad on it and got it running. But I feel like I need to put the wiring back to stock before I put a new starter on it. Any Input on this?
(sorry for the Novel) Zoomer

Oh yeah, what is the fuel mixture ratio?

LT80
05-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I'd think that 12 volts is 12 volts whether it's going thru a relay or not. I don't think it would hurt, but your corect in thinking it should be done right.
I prefer 32:1 with a good synthetic oil ie: Torco GP-7/Klotz R-50/superM.

freundly
07-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Wow, that's just sounds too familiar!
I bought an 87 lt80, the starter button was bypassed & they used a trunk release button under the fenders to start it. The wires get smokin hot everytime you crank it. The seller told me the starter button on the handlebars was no good so I bought another one & wired it in & didn't work either. Is that the starter relay that is bad?
Thanks for any help!

bstuart
08-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Guys - lets look at some basic relay info.

The purpose of a relay is to be able to control a high amp source with a low amp / low voltage source. This allows you to have a safe controllable way (handlebar mounted starter switch) of applying high amp power (several amps from the battery to the starter) Thats why the relay has much larger wires on the starter side (high amp source) and smaller wires on the side that goes to the button (low amp control)

So, now, does it make sense as to why the wires were getting hot. You would need wires about the size of the battery cables and a switch heavy enough to handle the load if you wanted to bypass the relay.

Clear as mud now, right

LT80
08-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Hey Bill,
How ya been? :)

freundly
08-04-2006, 03:23 PM
makes total sense!
I've always had 250r's & never had to mess with battery, starter, etc...
Since I bought this LT80 & it was already set up like this (bypassing the relay) I didn't know anybody close that had a LT80 I could compare to see what was different.
I'll get a relay & go from there.
Thanks for clearing that up, I really appreciate the info!!

Ryan