PDA

View Full Version : me and my mechanic are makin my 416 fuel injected

Sporttrax400ex
08-07-2002, 07:48 PM
My mechanic roger and me are gettin ready to try to make my 416 ex fuel injected! just put afco qaud rate shocks with resivores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tell you the outcome and how to do it once we figure out how we can do it !!!!!!!!!

bermbanger400
08-07-2002, 08:07 PM
is the afco shocks the same company that makes the race car shocks?

Sporttrax400ex
08-07-2002, 08:18 PM
ya i like them they are just as good as elkas and peps i think thats wat two of my freinds got

eldoexrider01
08-07-2002, 08:51 PM
i wanna see pics of this fuel injection thang!!!!!

Pro400EXC
08-08-2002, 12:00 AM
Oh YAH? Well you ain't gonna have chjit on me. Me and my Mechanic are puttin a Holley Dominator on my FoHundred,I am making a special intake,that mounts the carb where the gas tank is,and I'll have a gas tank where the air-box is.

Just like a Harley V-Rod,arr arr arr, i can se it now, 1150 CFM of raw Holley Power!!!!!!!!

haha Fuel Injection,yah right:rolleyes:

Nausty
08-08-2002, 02:16 AM
so i'm gonna get the new traction control steering stem with the duel overhead handle grips. I am thinking about adding fuel injected handlebar pad but I don't know if i'll be able to handle the g's. Now I know how the guys who ride in space shuttles feel like. I am also gonna fill the tires with helium to lighten her up also. I better stop typing and get to work I think its time to change my tire fluid.

skemp
08-08-2002, 10:08 AM
You and your mechanic need something better to do, because your current project will be a lost cause.

250xman
08-08-2002, 10:53 AM
well cannondales are injected so why couldnt you use the system off a c'dale for it?

flaneledholes
08-08-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 250xman
well cannondales are injected so why couldnt you use the system off a c'dale for it?

Very good point... Hey all the turbo charged quads have fuel injection... I know the banshee, raptor and 400 have it... I am not too for sure about the 400 and raptor but I know the banshee is, I remember reading it in an old 99 article in dw...

JabberJaw
08-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Me an my mechanic are drinking beer....

stocktires
08-08-2002, 07:23 PM
hmmmm....

kicken250x
08-08-2002, 11:00 PM
this must be one of those to good to bo true things!?!?!? ill believe it when i see it

airheadedduner
08-08-2002, 11:26 PM
It can be done. I have seen pics of vw bug motors that they added fuel injection to. I also recently saw a buggy that had an extra injector taht was machined into the head for each cylinder. I don't think it will be worth it though. For the cost and labor a good carb will perform nearly as well.

stocktires
08-08-2002, 11:29 PM
lol, jabber and airhead are right.
Its kind of a dumb idea. The cost of it would be way to much and your mechanic is prolly thinkin, "hey, Im gettin paid, so who cares" lol.

kicken250x
08-08-2002, 11:46 PM
you dont have to wory as much about slammin water holes...

Leo
08-09-2002, 05:18 PM
there are tons of small fuel injection systems out there, any number of which could be adapted relatively easily...

the software's the hard part.. I would think that coming up with the maps would be a very diffucult step in the whole process ;)

Leo

Lorduss
08-10-2002, 12:48 AM
hehe, for some reasion this thread reminds me of every time i ask a question on a RC car forum i viset....
everyone does nothing but tell you its to hard to do so why even try, or like you cant do that, or your dreaming.... etc etc.

there all lost..

i didnt know Cdales had that system, but im sure theres companys who make setups for you. ifnot you do part of it your self, its possable, all these people are so lazy, they cant even begin to imagen.

personaly... id like to build engines..

go for it, prove em all wrong, and leave em in the dust.

Nausty
08-10-2002, 04:06 AM
well through all 14 or 15 years of my life I umm oh yah that if something is to hard, give it up. The moral is to never try anything.

08-10-2002, 11:25 AM
heh, heh.... a b.s. meter.... thats great. (beer is too)

Tango
08-10-2002, 08:31 PM
WOW! I never thought about fuel injection. I've been to busy trying to get this air bag hooked up to my bars. Can't seem to get it under the cross-bar pad. lol

400exredrider
08-10-2002, 09:28 PM
have fun:huh :huh fule injected can be done but afco shocks are for TT dood:D :devil just my 2cents but really have fun:huh

Woodsrider
08-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Tango
WOW! I never thought about fuel injection. I've been to busy trying to get this air bag hooked up to my bars. Can't seem to get it under the cross-bar pad. lol

Well that is your problem, the bag is supposed to repace the pad.
You just fold it like a parachute, and place it neatly under the pad cover:D The hard part is blowing the bag up before you hit the bars:huh

PismoGuy400
08-10-2002, 11:39 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tango
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that is your problem, the bag is supposed to repace the pad.
You just fold it like a parachute, and place it neatly under the pad cover The hard part is blowing the bag up before you hit the bars
quote:

lmao!...

Sporttrax400ex
08-11-2002, 01:19 PM
got my fuel injection done will have pics soon as i get them on my computer also for whoever said that afco are only tt shocks they just mad shcoks for mx and you cna call them and ask them aout them!!!!!!!! have pics of the fuel injection soon it was an easy project:devil :devil

Sporttrax400ex
08-11-2002, 01:20 PM
sorry bout that speeling on that one i get to damn exicted and cant speel worth a **** so u might be able to make some of the words out! :confused:

PismoGuy400
08-11-2002, 11:56 PM
this ive got to see....we'll just see how long this system holds up, and if it works right....only time will tell.........

08-13-2002, 08:47 AM
I wanna see pics after your first hard test run..:eek:

Scott
08-13-2002, 09:21 AM
It's not high tech, and it works better than a carb for atomizing fuel, so it burns better. Hard part would be getting injector flow rate right, and getting the computer programmed to ramp up the flow rate with the rpm's so that the engine's jetted right. (which is what Leo said earlier!)

Only 2 hurdles I see are the fuel map and the additional electrical parts you'd be adding (fuel pump, sensors, computer). But EFI engines tend to make more HP.

Did you set it up like a throttle body injection or a direct port injection? How is the C-dale setup, throttle body or direct port injection?

Drtridr18
08-13-2002, 06:29 PM
i'm curious too, post this stuff up man

Guy400
08-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Where are the pics? If you don't have pics ready can you give us some details such as what brand of injection system did you run? What computer, what software did you use to create/edit the map? Details!!!!

Bean
08-13-2002, 06:42 PM
ur givin the old guys heart attacks, show the pics or we might hav a exriders massive funeral!!!

j/p, i want to see this stuff though

stocktires
08-13-2002, 09:53 PM
This is considered B.S. until you have proven us wrong (Please do).

And how did it only take ya like a few days?

airheadedduner
08-13-2002, 11:39 PM
I guess if you had the money you could addapt the cannondale GP fuel mapping system to the EX. IT is programable. BUT it cost 1200 bucks not counting the injection system.

stocktires
08-13-2002, 11:42 PM
personaly, i dont see why someone whould want to do this? I know the EFI if better than a carb, but why take all the money and time and put it on a 400ex. And if you ever had to re-sell it, it would be quite a pain (no $$$).

skemp
08-14-2002, 01:34 AM
I don't think it's true:eek: (Until proven wrong, of course)
This is something I would like to see, but it seems like a lot of cash to gain a couple HP and not have to worry about jetting.

Guy400
08-14-2002, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by stocktires
And how did it only take ya like a few days? That was exactly what I was thinking last night when I asked him for details. On the 7th him and his mechanic were looking into making it EFI (the R&D stage) and then suddenly on the 11th he's done with it already.

Anyone else notice that he's not responding to this thread all of a sudden.

08-14-2002, 12:04 PM
I am my own mechanic.... so therefore i can drink for 2 people........ YES!!!!

GoLikeHell
08-15-2002, 07:03 AM
Hey guys,
Dont bash this idea, its something I am also going to do. If you do a search on the internet for "megasquirts" you will see a do it yourself EFI kit for 100 dollars. The kit is includes only the electronics and the program, you will need to supply the injector, O2 sensor, coolant sensor ( oil) and air temp sensor. The system uses all GM sensor so the kits is very cheap! Injector flow rates can be found also so you dont use to large of an injector and have problems tuning it in.

My project is going on set further, I am going to add a turbocharger to my bike. I have been searching for the parts ever since I saw the turboed 400ex in Dirt Wheels. Anything can be done for a third of the price if your willing to do your own research and alot of leg work. If my turbo project works and runs well I will share all my findings with everyone.

I have been playing with turbo cars since the late 80's, and I also own a 12 sec Turbo Charged Dodge Omni ( soon to go 11's). I also write my own calibrations for my car, so tuning a 400ex for 14 psi of boost should be a breeze.

The only thing holding back my project is the oiling system for the turbo charger. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to add to this list, or private email me.

Thanks
Mark

Sorry for the long reply

Scott
08-15-2002, 09:12 AM
I can't help you with the oiling system, and I know you said you're a turbo guy, but there's not many street cars that run 14psi boost on 4 cylinder engines, let alone a 400cc engine with a ~55cc combustion chamber. You might want to start a little lower, I'd bet 14psi would pull the studs right out of the case halves.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. (how many pounds of boost a 400 will handle before she pops!)

Guy400
08-15-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Scott
I can't help you with the oiling system, and I know you said you're a turbo guy, but there's not many street cars that run 14psi boost on 4 cylinder engines, let alone a 400cc engine with a ~55cc combustion chamber. You might want to start a little lower, I'd bet 14psi would pull the studs right out of the case halves.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. (how many pounds of boost a 400 will handle before she pops!) Scott, I was running 16psi out of the stock 14b Mitsubishi turbo in my '92 Talon TSi. Stock boost levels were 11psi and I turned the wick up to 16psi with spikes to 18psi. The motor had 106,000 miles on it and ran like a top.

GoLikeHell, I don't think anyone's doubting that an EFI system can be arranged for a 400EX but this kid went from researching the idea to having it complete in about 4 days, that's where the problem lies. Most companies can't even ship in that quick of time.