PDA

View Full Version : accelerator pump does what.....

Hondaboy007
05-19-2006, 07:43 PM
what exactly does the accel pump do n e ways........i know another retarded question....

rooster300ex
05-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Naw thats not retarded. I don't know exactly what an accelerator pump does either, but i've taken a carb apart with one and seen what it looked like and how it kinna worked.

boricua
05-19-2006, 08:50 PM
its very simple. all it does is squirt raw fuel into the carb, thru the venturi everytime you give it throttle. only after 3/4 throttle does it not put out my fuel. it gives it more throttle response in all RPM ranges, especially down low. without it, you would have hesitation whenever you hit the throttle, especially down low.
small yet important. you can set when or even how much fuel it squirts on some carbs to fine tune jetting. too much = gas comsumption or chokes the motor out.....too little = hesitation when you hit the throttle.
:cool:

rooster300ex
05-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Thats pretty much what i thought it was, but i wasn't exactly sure, so i let somebody that is sure of themself on this subject.

wilkin250r
05-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I'll go a little more in-depth, a little "method behind the madness" if you will.

When you're at 1/4 throttle, all that air going to your motor is being sucked through an opening about 1/2 inch tall. This means that the air is traveling really fast through that little opening, and the faster the air is traveling, the more fuel it will pick up with it. It's not an issue if air volume, but rather air speed.

Now, when you snap the throttle from 1/4 to WOT, your engine doesn't respond instantly. What used to be an opening 1/2 inch tall is now suddenly an opening five times that size, but engine speed hasn't caught up yet, so it's still almost the same volume of air, but a much larger opening. This is going to slow the air speed WAY down, which also decreases the amount of fuel it picks up.

If left like this, your mixture would run really lean in the first few revolutions of the engine after you snap the throttle. So lean, in fact, that it might not even burn, and certainly won't produce much power. You need something to add fuel for that fraction of a second to allow the engine to produce power and kick up the RPMS. Once the RPMS increase, air speed through the carb will increase, and the air will pick up the fuel it needs.

This is the job of the accelerator pump. When you stab the throttle really quickly, it squirts a small stream of fuel directly into your intake. This greatly improves throttle response.

boricua
05-20-2006, 04:19 PM
:chinese: well, there you have it...."The accelerator Pump"

DieselBoy
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by boricua
:chinese: well, there you have it...."The accelerator Pump"

LMFAO

boricua
05-20-2006, 04:48 PM
c'mon i gotta keep it lite..... lol:D

05-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by boricua
c'mon i gotta keep it lite..... lol:D

on my old carb the only way i could get it to run was buy pumping the "acc pump" is something cloged or what? where does the other gas come from ?

ohsobad_chevy
05-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Hondaboy007
what exactly does the accel pump do n e ways........i know another retarded question....

For one thing, NO question is stupid.... remember that, smart people ask questions.

boricua
05-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
on my old carb the only way i could get it to run was buy pumping the "acc pump" is something cloged or what? where does the other gas come from ?

if by run you mean start....not really. i dont think somethings clogged. pretty common to have to pump it a couple of times before it'll fire. if you mean the only way it will run, continuously, is by pumping the accelerator pump, then yup....you got a clog.