PDA

View Full Version : honda oil

ryann mx68
05-19-2006, 06:42 PM
my local honda parts guy and myself were talking about oil quality and stuff today, he showed me where he calls to place his oil order and it was.......Mobil oil.

i was surprized, i figured it would have been some off the wall company that ive never heard of.

just to let everyone know what i found out, its still expensive to buy from them but atleast you know its not junk

05-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by ryann mx68
but atleast you know its not junk it is. its one of the lower quality oils they make if not the lowest. you can buy much better oil for the same price or a lot less. id reccommend shells rotella oil

05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
it is. its one of the lower quality oils they make if not the lowest. you can buy much better oil for the same price or a lot less. id reccommend shells rotella oil

What facts do you have to back up such a statement??

woodsman250r
05-19-2006, 09:56 PM
it is. its one of the lower quality oils they make if not the lowest. you can buy much better oil for the same price or a lot less. id reccommend shells rotella oil

This is like the second or third post you have made about Honda oil being low quality junk. But I guess since you know it all and have years of experience testing different oils that you would know whats best. :rolleyes: Honda oil is NOT junk or the manual would not recommend it in the engine for the 450. Here is how I look at it, who would you listen to about engine oil. Honda who has been building high quality motors for years and has done tons of testing to see what works best in them. Or, MixmasterMike who has no facts to back it up being junk and who uses car motor oil from Walmart? Basically don't listen to a word this kid says because he makes stupid posts without knowing the facts. Honda oil is great to use in your bike and you will have NO problems with using it, just like the manual states.

FHKracingZ
05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Im sure Honda Oil is a good oil just like every oil out there basiclly. But you have to relize they are gonna recommend it so they make more money off you. But MixMasterMike ive read alot of your post on this site and others and leads me to believe u talk a big game and dont know anything when it comes to quads. Just like me and almost everybody. So basiclly if u dont know the right answer dont make ure self look like a bigger retard by trying to guess.

eganracing
05-19-2006, 11:43 PM
i figured honda had some special oil. thats interesting its just mobil.

Unicam450r
05-19-2006, 11:56 PM
first of all...... some of you guys don't have a clue in the world......... first of all honda oil is not junk. period. 2nd of all my friends works at pretty large dealership in hanover pa. and a spectro rep told the them that honda is oil is damn good and that is one of the top oil companies making that statement........ honda oil is what i run in my bike and as long as you keep after it and check religously.... you'll have no problems.

bottom line... honda is not junk.

05-20-2006, 02:21 AM
honda oil is junk. how about one of YOU show me its better then the rotella or a synthetic oil?

ryann mx68
05-20-2006, 06:50 AM
i never thought it was junk, but deff to much $$. there was a rep from royal purple at the dealership, and he had this thing to test how good oils are [i didnt see this, so... hard to describe]

it had a bearing [oil bath] on a shaft and something to apply pressure while it was turning.

the rep was expecting the honda oil to not do well in this test, it actually was almost as good as the royal purple.

just passing on what i was told

Chris S.
05-20-2006, 07:00 AM
To make the statement " Honda oil is junk" is completely pathetic. There is no way that honda would warranty their engines and sell extended warranty's for $400 bucks for 4 years and ask you to use there oil if it were "junk". Think about, and remove your head from your ***** MixMasterMike. There are many good engine oils out there and if changed at proper intervals they will perform quite similar. What also is funny is how many people prefer synthetics when some engine manufactures specifically state not to use them. Take for example Web cams, they recommend not to use synthetics with their cams. Honda states in the 450r manual to use GN4 or equivilant. Synthetic is not equivilant. I won't disagree with Honda on what oil is best for the engine they designed, built, and have a 4 year warranty to fullfill. Just my take on the topic.

eganracing
05-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Chris S.
What also is funny is how many people prefer synthetics when some engine manufactures specifically state not to use them. Take for example Web cams, they recommend not to use synthetics with their cams. Honda states in the 450r manual to use GN4 or equivilant. Synthetic is not equivilant.

y would synthetic oil be possibly bad for engine? im not saying your wrong but if u could explain a little more i would appreciate it.

Johnny B
05-20-2006, 10:25 AM
im not bashing on ANYONE but tons of people on here and everywhere else use synthetic oil. i dont know the exact reason except it lubercates the engine more. and keeps it cooler. i would also like for someone to explain the difference between synthetic and regular, all i know is one is made from petroleum, and the other is not.

Chris S.
05-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't think that it is bad, just not as good possiably. In the owners manuals for every quad, motorcycle, jetski, dirtbike I have ever owned, none of them recommended synthetic except for my 2005 Honda CBR. I have had a 2003 VTX1800c that Honda recommended GN4 instead of synthetic. I was surprised by this also. I think the synthetic was kind of craze like premium fuel maybe. My old 400ex I always ran synthetic in that and when I got my web cam for it the directions with cam said not to use synthetic oil. There wasn't a explanation. I asked a person who works the parts counter at the nearby honda shop and he told be was heat related and that some engines just have nothing to gain by using it. But I follow the rule, when in doubt follow manufactures recommendation. I know alot of these highly build race quads the pros ride use synthetic but Duncan and East Coast use and recommend GN4 in alot there built 450r's. Sorry I don't more specifically why. I am sure someone else will chime in.

450R_lover
05-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Since day 1 i've used Mobile 1 red cap fully synthetic motor oil and have had no problems what so ever. They got rid of the red cap now, so i use the gold cap. I think the the synthetic, non synthetic stuff is bs. I dont really know much about this, but synthetic has worked for me. I am stil on the same piston since i got it on like april 15, 2004. Over two years ago. Mine still runs strong. Sooo.. if that isnt proof enough that synthetic is just as good if not better, then i dont know what is.
Synthetic all the way.

Chris S.
05-20-2006, 11:21 AM
I also know several people who have had the same results as you with using a non-synthetic oil. My point is just relaying info that I see is repetitive from manufacture recommendations. Most of us change our oil after 3-5 days of riding. Paying more for oil that is not recommended for my engine doesn't make sense to me. I have a generator that is made by generac that recommends use of synthetic after the breakin period, but they say the benefit of using synthetic is to extend oil change intervals. I think its interesting topic because of the different theories.

05-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 450R_lover
Since day 1 i've used Mobile 1 red cap fully synthetic motor oil and have had no problems what so ever. They got rid of the red cap now, so i use the gold cap. I think the the synthetic, non synthetic stuff is bs. I dont really know much about this, but synthetic has worked for me. I am stil on the same piston since i got it on like april 15, 2004. Over two years ago. Mine still runs strong. Sooo.. if that isnt proof enough that synthetic is just as good if not better, then i dont know what is.
Synthetic all the way. yep i did the EXACT same thing. we also bought ours on the exact same day :eek2:

eganracing
05-20-2006, 02:13 PM
thanx Chris S. and 450R_lover for your input on synthetic oil.

woodsracer420
05-20-2006, 04:23 PM
just use klotz and get it over with, im not an expert but i do know in new high performance quads oil breaks down a lot quicker then say a (400ex). honda oil,pennzoil,mobil, all of it is only good for about one race, but with klotz i run it for about 2-3 races. its got me through 20 harescrambles, 5 gnccs and the 12 hour race with no engine trouble, im sold on it. and yes its a synthetic, and every engine builder ive talked to recommends synthetics.

synthetics last 2-3x longer but they do cost alot more but they also alow the quad to run a bit cooler. i had a lot of trouble with my built ex running hot until i started running synthetics. helps alot

later

05-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
This is like the second or third post you have made about Honda oil being low quality junk. But I guess since you know it all and have years of experience testing different oils that you would know whats best. :rolleyes: Honda oil is NOT junk or the manual would not recommend it in the engine for the 450. Here is how I look at it, who would you listen to about engine oil. Honda who has been building high quality motors for years and has done tons of testing to see what works best in them. Or, MixmasterMike who has no facts to back it up being junk and who uses car motor oil from Walmart? Basically don't listen to a word this kid says because he makes stupid posts without knowing the facts. Honda oil is great to use in your bike and you will have NO problems with using it, just like the manual states. im sick of your bashing man. if you think honda oil is the best oil you can run in your engine then you must be a complete retard. you are lucky the admin told me not to make you look like a fool again or I would

woodsman250r
05-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Make me look like a retard by telling me that running Honda oil in my quad is retarded???? HAHAHAHAHA you are a joke and so are your comments, just shut up and do yourself a favor because majority of the people on here feel the same way about your stupid posts that I do.

450rJam
05-21-2006, 08:07 AM
OWNED............................................. ....
.................................................. ...........
.................................................. ...........
.................................................. .AGAIN.

woodsman250r
05-21-2006, 09:30 AM
By the way mixmaster, I saw in the new ATV Sport mag that Natalie, Goodman, and Borich all run the Honda oils. You better get ahold of them ASAP to let them know that they are running junk in their motors, and that they should switch right away. I can't believe their motors haven't blown up yet since they use that crappy oil in them. :rolleyes:

Chris S.
05-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Natalie uses GN4 in his 470 national. You may want to let him know there is something called synthetic that everybody is raving about.

woodsracer420
05-21-2006, 04:29 PM
By the way mixmaster, I saw in the new ATV Sport mag that Natalie, Goodman, and Borich all run the Honda oils. You better get ahold of them ASAP to let them know that they are running junk in their motors, and that they should switch right away. I can't believe their motors haven't blown up yet since they use that crappy oil in them. :rolleyes:

??? i really dont wanna get in the argument but NATALIE and BORICH are sponsored by HONDA, so therefore they either have to run honda oil or have to say they run honda oil, thats how sponsorship works. And goodman might be sponsored, not sure though.

and dont believe everything you read in the mags, everything they say is powered by how money they receive by the manufacturers.

Doak450r
05-21-2006, 07:26 PM
i agree with mixmaster i use the shell rotella and its a great oil.
i'de take it over the honda gn4 and you can run the rotalla in both sides.

NET450r350x
05-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Make me look like a retard by telling me that running Honda oil in my quad is retarded???? HAHAHAHAHA you are a joke and so are your comments, just shut up and do yourself a favor because majority of the people on here feel the same way about your stupid posts that I do.

Amen to that.^ MixMasterMike needs to stop jumping in on every topic and blabbing out meaningless garbage. It's not a race around here to see who can make the little number next to their name the biggest. Good thing the admin knows how to keep him under control or else he would flame us all. oh no.....

Anyway, I think Honda oil is good stuff. A multi-billion dollar corporation isn't going to put crappy oil in millions of machines that they warranty! That just wouldn't make sense at all. I think i'd rather listen to the company that made my machine rather than a 19 year-old know-it-all from Carbondale, IL.

cals400ex
05-21-2006, 09:17 PM
i honestly run other oil besides honda. i am not saying it is crap by any means. from what i read there are better oils for the money though. i ran the honda regular oil for the first 20 minutes during break in. then i ran rotella regular for 1 hour. i changed the oil again. then i ran rotella for a few more hours. i change the oil frequently during break in due to the excess metal particles that can be floating around on a new engine. i later, after i felt it was broken in, switched to a 100% synthetic in both the engine and clutch side.

shamisc
05-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by NET450r350x
Amen to that.^ MixMasterMike needs to stop jumping in on every topic and blabbing out meaningless garbage. It's not a race around here to see who can make the little number next to their name the biggest. Good thing the admin knows how to keep him under control or else he would flame us all. oh no.....

I think i'd rather listen to the company that made my machine rather than a 19 year-old know-it-all from Carbondale, IL.

I've been wanting to say something like this for a LOOOONG time, but I didn't want to be a " basher" ! He makes negative comments on just about every subject on this site ! Also, if he doesn't have one on, in, or around his bike it's junk! I guess we can look on the bright side of things......as long as mixmastermike is on this site, we'll have always have some bs to read !:rolleyes:

05-22-2006, 12:14 AM
. I try to help and put what I know in but I guess honda oil is the best because the company is a billion dollar company and theres no way they would let a OIL company make a better oil. :rolleyes: and if you think i care about my post count your wrong. im actually going to try to have the admin reset it. wtf do u have to say about that?

h-bomb450R
05-22-2006, 12:34 AM
. I try to help and put what I know in but I guess honda oil is the best because the company is a billion dollar company and theres no way they would let a OIL company make a better oil. :rolleyes: and if you think i care about my post count your wrong. im actually going to try to have the admin reset it. wtf do u have to say about that?

i have something to say. Yall are all ridiculous for arguing over F*%#ing oil.

450rJam
05-22-2006, 04:36 AM
haha and yet another good point :)

trick250r
05-22-2006, 04:42 AM
the bike came with the honda oil in it. the factory riders use it for their racing engines. so if its good enough to keep a fully blown race engine going strong, why switch to anything else. everyone's got their own opinion, that's why ill do all the engine work myself.

oh and mixmastermike, these are quads, not planes... have a good day cheif. ;)

05-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by trick250r
the bike came with the honda oil in it. the factory riders use it for their racing engines. so if its good enough to keep a fully blown race engine going strong, why switch to anything else. everyone's got their own opinion, that's why ill do all the engine work myself.

oh and mixmastermike, these are quads, not planes... have a good day cheif. ;) rofl actually now that Ithink about it they dont even run synthetic oil in planes (usually). they run a oil just like the honda oil :blah:

05-22-2006, 08:32 AM

I agree with most other people on here. I normally don't get involved in this type of thread, but it has been eating at me for a long time now. I think Mike just likes to hear himself talk. I my opinion he thinks he knows everything. Most teenagers do. I think a lot of his advice is BAD. I see him on a lot of forums and he has something to say about EVERYTHING.

05-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I agree with most other people on here. I normally don't get involved in this type of thread, but it has been eating at me for a long time now. I think Mike just likes to hear himself talk. I my opinion he thinks he knows everything. Most teenagers do. I think a lot of his advice is BAD. I see him on a lot of forums and he has something to say about EVERYTHING. why dont we just start another thread about me instead of ruin this thread? i really dont care if you think i post too much. theres nothing any of you can do to stop me so just keep responding to my posts with bashing and I guess you will just keep ruining everythread I post in. I can agree with you though that maybe theres some threads I shouldnt post in but I guess all my advice is BAD :rolleyes:

05-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Mike I understand your young and having fun. I enjoy the forums also. I didn't say ALL your advice was bad. I said a lot of it is. I enjoy reading some of your posts. You do bring something to the table. I think the message people are trying to get across is just chill a little. I don't know you personally, but being on these forums with the same people for years you kinda think you know them a little. You seem like one of the better people on the boards I visit, that's why I've kept quiet.

shamisc
05-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Well said. Not trying to beat up on ya mixmasa. :cool:

honda350r
05-22-2006, 06:52 PM
. im actually going to try to have the admin reset it. wtf do u have to say about that?

I would have it reset too... 6000 post of nonsence!!

yamablaster24
05-22-2006, 07:22 PM
keep in mind natalies bike is rebuilt between rounds, I do run honda Gn4 in everything, i have ran a lot more including honda's 7 buck a quart synthetic, castrol oil for quads, and lots of other stuff and have noticed no difference besides the synthetic oil didnt dirty up as fast but for 7 bucks a quart it shouldnt, run Gn4 and ride....

05-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
I would have it reset too... 6000 post of nonsence!! rofl. i had another account with over 5000 too when Igot this one. I understand I post do much. its justa habit to always speak my mind. I really try to avoid fights but I hate being called out and feel like I have to defend myself. I just always have to have the last word. sorry guys if my posts bother you and thanks for not being dix about it like some people. I do understand where you guys are coming from

05-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
keep in mind natalies bike is rebuilt between rounds, I do run honda Gn4 in everything, i have ran a lot more including honda's 7 buck a quart synthetic, castrol oil for quads, and lots of other stuff and have noticed no difference besides the synthetic oil didnt dirty up as fast but for 7 bucks a quart it shouldnt, run Gn4 and ride.... thats one of the only good posts in this whole thread that actually brought something t othe table. lol

honda350r
05-22-2006, 09:33 PM
I use Honda GN4 10/40 in every quad that goes through my shop! I have had no failers! I also use factory Honda oil filters..

I have cutomers that have had bad crank bearings that used Rotella only ??

Bottom line is ..If you want your engine to live change the oil often very often!

Everyone of these cam changes left my shop with Honda oil in them and not one has been back for oil damage!!

To say this Honda oil is garbage is just plain stupidity!!!!!

honda350r
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
This is Rotella !!!!!!!!!!

450rJam
05-23-2006, 04:29 AM
there is a ignore button people can click if they dont wish to see posts of certain people.
I like the controversy, it entertains me.
speak your mind, laugh and learn,

ryann mx68
05-23-2006, 05:15 AM
hey guys, guess what???? mobil makes the oil for honda....... wow... thats good to know

JW450R1
05-23-2006, 09:51 AM
i've always run hnda oil,with honda filters.i have a 04 for mx.no problems.i was told honda chnaged the bearing company 1/2 way threw the year.i know that bearing are not being heat treated enough for automobiles,b/ci pull out rear diffs all the time,and when i looked at the bearing they are all pitted.so something is going on with the bearing companys.if the bearing was not made correctly the best oil in the world is not going to save it.that's my opinion

Mxjunkie
05-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I agree with most other people on here. I normally don't get involved in this type of thread, but it has been eating at me for a long time now. I think Mike just likes to hear himself talk. I my opinion he thinks he knows everything. Most teenagers do. I think a lot of his advice is BAD. I see him on a lot of forums and he has something to say about EVERYTHING.

AMEN to this post!

When I rode thumpers I allways used hondas oil. It's good stuff imo.

motox450
05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
As I read this post I find it quite troubling. Mixxmaster Mike your statement as Honda oil is junk is unfounded and foolish. Had you came out with a responible statement with actual proof that would back up your statement would be more believable. I believe that everyone that has read this thread believes that you are an active member of this site with many opinions, and that is fine everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. Yet when you make outlandish statement about a product with no technical backround then you make yourself far less credible. I would take hope that the next time you make yourself look far better and use fact and not opinion to make statements in which other will pick apart with ease. This is my opinion and I am not trying to push you to do anything, I am just trying to show you a way to make your statements far more believable.
Russ

450robot
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
all i can say is, i use honda oils in my 450, and my dads rancher

and after all the abuse of gncc has put on my quad, and the abuse of towing/pulling/mudding with the rancher

we have had no problems at all. my quad runs at full capacity, and so does his

so i guess by mixmastermikes standards, it must be a horrible oil

JW450R1
06-03-2006, 06:27 PM
yes,i beleive in honda oils.but every-one i guess is aloud to have a opinion,but they should also state it

06-05-2006, 12:34 PM
i paid to have honda oils tested and they broke down VERY QUICKLY compared to a mobile 1 or other oil.

Coolidge
06-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by pilfered
i paid to have honda oils tested and they broke down VERY QUICKLY compared to a mobile 1 or other oil.

...care to elaborate on your paid tests? Who/what Co. did you pay to 'test' oils? What oil(s) were tested? What tests were performed? Seriously, I would be interested in the findings, but not as a general statement. Not trying to be dick, just curious

06-05-2006, 01:03 PM
amsoil did the tests

cals400ex
06-05-2006, 01:07 PM
i honestly don't think honda oils are as good as some of the others. i know my 400ex would use honda oil in greater amounts than mobil 1. however, i guess you can't compare a dino to a synthetic. thats exactly why i won't run a dino, unless for break-in. then i use rotella 15-40.

06-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i honestly don't think honda oils are as good as some of the others. i know my 400ex would use honda oil in greater amounts than mobil 1. however, i guess you can't compare a dino to a synthetic. thats exactly why i won't run a dino, unless for break-in. then i use rotella 15-40. hopefully you wont get bashed like mixmaster did. :eek2:

400exrider707
06-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i honestly don't think honda oils are as good as some of the others. i know my 400ex would use honda oil in greater amounts than mobil 1. however, i guess you can't compare a dino to a synthetic. thats exactly why i won't run a dino, unless for break-in. then i use rotella 15-40.

I couldn't agree more with you.
I've always broke my engines in on honda oil, and then later once the engine is broke in well, switched over to Klotz MX4. Your not supposed to use synthetic during break in because they are in fact too lubricating and it wont allow the rings to seat properly, also synthetic is not good for wet clutch systems during a break in time for a new clutch. If you use synthetic on a new clutch it is possible for the synthetic to bond with the plates causing it to prematurely wear out, or so I've been told. I usually put a new clutch in when I do a rebuild anyway so Im using dino oil to break it in.

440ex kid
06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Ive used honda oils in my 450r since I bought. It has well over 200 hours on it. I change very often and it seems to work fine for me. 400exrider707, you seem like one of the few on this site that back up good statements with good facts, as far as woodsman250r, you havent made a good post yet. You are bashin in every thread I read. Maybe you should back up your info before you open your mouth.

motox450
06-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Unfortunately without true scientific backup (BLANK OIL) is junk is a mute point. To make a truley credible statement someone on here has to have the oils tested use a standard of measure, and be able to post these certified results. Until then this post and any like it are pointless. It is and will always be a he said she said ordeal and those never end well.

400exrider707
06-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by motox450
Unfortunately without true scientific backup (BLANK OIL) is junk is a mute point. To make a truley credible statement someone on here has to have the oils tested use a standard of measure, and be able to post these certified results. Until then this post and any like it are pointless. It is and will always be a he said she said ordeal and those never end well.

Common sense will tell you that a synthetic oil will be better for your engine than a regular dino oil, unless your doing a break in like I already stated. Synthetic oils have more lubricating properties and take longer to break down. You cant disagree with it.

cals400ex
06-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Common sense will tell you that a synthetic oil will be better for your engine than a regular dino oil, unless your doing a break in like I already stated. Synthetic oils have more lubricating properties and take longer to break down. You cant disagree with it.

i would have to agree :D

motox450
06-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

No where in any of my statements have I said one oil or another will outlast or perform better. I have done nothing but told people to use fact to back up there data. And you are right synthetic oils with friction modifiers should perform better. In fact this exert is from Mobils website.

To understand synthetic motor oils, let’s look first at the origins of all motor oils.

Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. Crude oil is made up of a complex mixture of molecules that form chains and rings of different sizes and shapes. Long chains of carbon atoms produce a thick, viscous fluid that flows slowly. Shorter chains produce fluid that flows more readily.

In an oil refinery, crude oil is separated into various fractions. These become the basis for lubricating oils and fuels. Thick tangled masses of carbon chains become asphaltic materials used in roofing tar and road work. Very short chains and ring compounds of carbon are volatile and can be refined to produce gasoline and other products.

While petroleum refining is an advanced science, small amounts of contaminants, such as sulfur and reactive hydrocarbons, cannot be completely removed from petroleum, and may end up in motor oil base stocks.

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Synthetic blends usually use some non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil.

So I showed exactly what should be done when wanting to prove a point I found data to prove it. Anyone can look this information up on http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Why_Synthetics.aspx

Again giving factual data is the only route to take when proving a valid point.

Also I can dissagree that different brands of synthetic oils will perform differently. In fact thats what my previous (Blank oil) was referring to the brand of oil. To say Honda oil is junk is a rediculous statement. Is honda synthetic better than brand x synthetic or nonsynthetic. There are too many variable in the statement. Like I said in previous posts without the factual data, showing all varible that are made into controls this entire thread is worthless.

ryann mx68
06-06-2006, 06:45 PM
all this post was started for is:

i found out that mobil makes the oil for honda, plain and simple.

better to know that mobil makes it and not someone youve never heard of.

you could put $0.79 a quart oil in from a convenience store, but if you had a choice would you?

honda350r
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ryann mx68
all this post was started for is:

i found out that mobil makes the oil for honda, plain and simple.

better to know that mobil makes it and not someone youve never heard of.

you could put $0.79 a quart oil in from a convenience store, but if you had a choice would you?

.79 a quart?? That was pre GWB

400exrider707
06-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
.79 a quart?? That was pre GWB

Nope its still that cheap at walmart! haha, and ryan mx68 I would totally run that .79 cent oil in my quad for a break in, cause then you can change it every hour or so and keep fresh oil in your engine and keep metal shavings out while still saving money. I would have absolutely no problem running that oil but for break in purposes only, after that its strictly klotz for me. The only reason I dont do that is because I get a killer deal on GN4 through my dealer (probably cause I spend so much money there) and I highly dislike walmart and try to avoid it at all costs.:blah:

ryann mx68
06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
i used to run that cheap stuff in all my mx bikes. never had any probs. but i also changed it every ride. theres still some quarts around here around $1 per qt.

bwamos
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
I will not run Honda Oil in my machine.

Why you ask?

Because I do not trust putting any oil in my machine that they will not publish the data on. I know it's 10w40 semi-synthetic (HP$). That's it. GN4 is dino. They have no data sheets published telling you what the tested oil performance is. Hell even walmarts Super Tech Oil has published performance data.

If they aren't willing to publish the facts, then I'm not willing to put it in my ATV, lawnmower, or even my weedeater. Especially not for $9 a quart.

Also, just because they buy their oil from Mobil, doesn't make it the same quality is Mobil 1. Exxon-Mobil is the largest oil supplier in the world. A lot of companies buy their oil from them.

I know they used to have their oils made by CITGO. Perhaps they changed to Mobil. But, that is not enough for me to run it in my baby.