PDA

View Full Version : should i apply anti-sieze to oil drain plug

cbr929rr
05-19-2006, 04:19 PM
I tore off the bottom of my oil tank and ordered a new one. Is there something like anti-sieze or rtv silicone to help with removal next time. I am concerned with anti-sieze working its way up the threads and into the oil that lubricates the engine, this may be bad i really don't know.

JPhonda
05-19-2006, 04:56 PM
ya all you have to do is not over tighten the drain plug bolt next time. A lot of people put it too tight. Only put it tight enought so that next time you take out the bolt turns pretty easily

nosliw
05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
torque it to spec and use antiseize

stic
05-19-2006, 07:31 PM
ive never used anti seize on a drain plug and never had any probs...
just snug it up and dont overtighten

exboomer
05-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Make sure the sealing washer is okay and torque it to spec and thats all you need to do.

NacsMXer
05-19-2006, 09:23 PM
14 ft-lbs is all you need on the oil tank drain bolt. Get yourself a good "clicker-style" torque wrench and you shouldn't have any problems. People commonly break the bottom of the tank off because it is A.) Inherently weak and B.) They do not use a torque wrench. You are supposed to replace the sealing washer at each oil change to prevent overtightening but I never have to tell you the truth. I always torque it to spec and it never leaks a drop of oil ;)

You can use antiseize if you like, but it is a bit overkill IMO. Just dab some oil on the drain plug at each oil change.

pitchblack400
05-20-2006, 01:30 AM
if your wanting to put anti seeze on something put it on your swing arm bolts, and the allen screws you loosen to adjust your chain, ive seen those get stuck very very badly before.

cbr929rr
05-20-2006, 08:08 PM
bump

JOEX
05-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by cbr929rr
bump
:ermm:

Originally posted by stic
ive never used anti seize on a drain plug and never had any probs...
just snug it up and dont overtighten

Originally posted by exboomer
Make sure the sealing washer is okay and torque it to spec and thats all you need to do.

Originally posted by NacsMXer
14 ft-lbs is all you need on the oil tank drain bolt. Get yourself a good "clicker-style" torque wrench and you shouldn't have any problems. People commonly break the bottom of the tank off because it is A.) Inherently weak and B.) They do not use a torque wrench. You are supposed to replace the sealing washer at each oil change to prevent overtightening but I never have to tell you the truth. I always torque it to spec and it never leaks a drop of oil ;)

You can use antiseize if you like, but it is a bit overkill IMO. Just dab some oil on the drain plug at each oil change.