PDA

View Full Version : Matt Smiley Is gone

calds650
05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
Look like Matt and Polaris have parted company. I wish Matt good luck and thanks for the memories

Scro
05-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Is he hanging his boots up, or swaping to a different machine?

calds650
05-19-2006, 02:54 PM
this is breaking new's all I have found out is that they have split up. I am sure he will be racing just due not know on what yet

Pappy
05-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Matt will be running a Honda 450R at the Penton

cdalejef
05-19-2006, 05:27 PM
WOW!!! :confused:

Jake250ex
05-19-2006, 08:26 PM
eh, I saw it coming. I could tell he was never really satisfied with the pred. Especially the outlaw. I think he just went along with it to have the label of a factory rider.

polaris bob
05-20-2006, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
eh, I saw it coming. I could tell he was never really satisfied with the pred. Especially the outlaw. I think he just went along with it to have the label of a factory rider.

Am I the only one that is not unhappy to see him go?

Jake, I agree with at least part of your thinking, he was looking to have a label put under his name.

But IMO, what the label now says about him, is not what he was hoping for.

Quitter

Crybaby

Not a team player

Flash in the pan

IMO, a top notch, factory grade, , A main rider can and should be able to hop on just about any quad and win on it., if the rider is any good at all. The bikes have way less to do with how a rider places than everyone thinks.

IMO Matt is just out of his league and is trying anything to be considered at the top of his game, unfortunately his top game is just not good enough!

I doubt that his stats will change much no matter what bike he is riding! He is just not as good as he thinks he is!

I say good riddance to Matt Smiley! Buh Bye now Matt!:macho

outlaw450r
05-20-2006, 05:42 AM
I think he would have been alright on the pred, but the outlaw is not a pro quality race bike.

GE4x4
05-20-2006, 06:33 AM
I think the compatition is just getting better and he isn't keeping up. He is one of the older riders and these young guns are just taking over. He did well last year, and even tho he was on the Outlaw at the start, he ran the Pred the last 4 races and really didn't do any better. The Pred hasn't changed and neither has the others, but the compatition has changed a lot. I can't see him doing any better on a Honda or Yamaha. If he does, it will be only once or twice and not consistant. If you look at his lap times when he was on the Pred, he's not even close to the front runners. I hope the best for him.

gnarlyknobbies
05-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't think you guys are giving Smiley enough credit. Even if Ballance and Smiley were exactly even riders (which they are not) Ballance would have the edge on the YFZ which is so much lighter and flickable through the woods. Smiley is a top 5 rider. No doubt. He just needs to be on a quad that is as competitive as everyone else. Outlaw is an awesome machine, but displays some disadvantages in weight, handling and power.

GE4x4
05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Then explain why he was in the top 5 most of last year, yet this year only broke the top 10 once and that was 10th. The quads haven't changed from last year. He raced the Pred at the last 4 races, so you can't blame the Outlaw.

gnarlyknobbies
05-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Not totally blaming the machine, but he started off this season on the Outlaw. But I also agree that the competition is getting better. Only time will tell the truth. I think the Outlaw is great, but it is more physically demanding that the 450's.

scramblerracer
05-20-2006, 05:29 PM
I will miss Smiley as a fellow Polaris racer. I have been a fan of Smiley for a few years. He is very nice to talk to even when things haven't been going well. He was taking a chance on Polaris as much as Polaris was taking a chance when they signed him. Noone had proven that polaris was serious about racing. He proved that they could be competitive with the best racers on the so called best equipment. Too bad that this year went so poorly for them. I hope him all the best and would love to see him prove you guys wrong. I also hope that Polaris keeps working on a pro racing quad program. Good luck Matt. Good luck Polaris.

05-20-2006, 07:57 PM
so whose gana race for polaris now? we got some great machines but no great racers! whats with that?

racerxxgncc
05-20-2006, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by polaris bob
[B]Am I the only one that is not unhappy to see him go?

Jake, I agree with at least part of your thinking, he was looking to have a label put under his name.

Quitter

Crybaby

Not a team player

Flash in the pan

IMO, a top notch, factory grade, , A main rider can and should be able to hop on just about any quad and win on it., if the rider is any good at all. The bikes have way less to do with how a rider places than everyone thinks.

The last sentence tells me how much you know about racing. If you actually believe that the machine you ride doesn't make a difference your nuts. Matt is a hell of a rider to get a top 5 overall last year on a machine that is not even in the same class as the others that are on pro roll, smiley will be on the podium before the year is up and then everyone will know what the polaris's really are.

wolffie
05-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Polaris should really do something with their high performance line up. they should either redo the predator to make it compeatable with the 450's, or introduce a new 450.

having the Outlaw and the Pred dont really make sense. Both are more primarily made for trails. its like they are conflicting with each other! i mean, you take Yamaha for example, they have a 450 for racing and a 700 for trails, as well as the banshee for dunes/open areas.

doesnt polaris have some sort of connection with KTM? why not just take a KTM 450 dirt bike motor, beef up the tranny and stuff it in a quad chasis?

polaris bob
05-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by racerxxgncc
[QUOTE]Originally posted by polaris bob
[B]Am I the only one that is not unhappy to see him go?

Quitter

Crybaby

Not a team player

Flash in the pan

The last sentence tells me how much you know about racing. If you actually believe that the machine you ride doesn't make a difference your nuts. Matt is a hell of a rider to get a top 5 overall last year on a machine that is not even in the same class as the others that are on pro roll, smiley will be on the podium before the year is up and then everyone will know what the Polaris's really are.

You can go on blaming the bike all you want to! I stand by what I say. If I am wrong so be it.

Everyone likes to say, this guy won or that guy won because of what machine they were racing that weekend, this goes on in any form of motorized racing, bar none.

That is where the term, win on Sunday, sell on Monday comes from!

Everyone like to say that the predator sucks or the Outlaw sucks or this or that Yada Yada Yada blah blah blah! What ever!

Has anyone here actually ever weighed the various bikes that are racing and even compared what they weigh? I am talking about the bikes as they roll up to the starting grid, not as they roll off the factory floor.

I you would, you would find that the bikes are a lot closer in weight than everyone gives them credit for! These quads that are racing at this level are so far from what rolls off the factory floor that any comparison to a stock machine is just laughable.

Now a days these bikes are so close to each other that who wins the race is more determined by the racer and his mechanic/ crew chief than any other item.

Mind you nowhere did you see me say that Honda sucks, Yamaha sucks or for that matter Polaris sucks.

IMO they are all great machines and I would have anyone of them in my garage, it just so happens that I have a Polaris in my garage at this time, but that is of no matter. I will say it again, they are all great machines!

I said that Matt sucks!

Instead of taking the blame on himself and trying to do something to better himself, he blames the machine and jumps ship.

That act alone, tells me what kind of person Matt is.

It is my OPINION that Matt will never do much better than he already has no matter what he is racing on, until Matt makes the decision to better himself and quit blaming the machine for his faults and problems.

If you don't agree with my opinion,, that is your right, like they say. Everyone has an opinion, just like they all have something else!! LOL

PB out

GE4x4
05-21-2006, 10:04 AM
The question I have, he was at the track with a Honda 450R outside the trailer, yet did not race. Why? :confused:

Pappy
05-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@TireBalls
WOW!!! :confused:

LOL...i was joking about a honda, i figured it would stir the pot :p I actually called the track after i read this on friday to see if it was indeed true, and it was confirmed but no further details were given.

I would suspect that things will work themselves out, everyone wanted factory sponsored riders, so now everyone will deal with the BS involved when a change occurs.

My advice...dont read too much into it. I dont care how great a quad is, sometimes a rider just doesnt feel good on it. This is not teh first time we have seen a rider switch to another quad, Duvall switched from a FST500EX to a YFZ, albiet wasnt a factory deal, Dunlap was a full ride nonetheless.

SVTPete
05-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I am in total agreeance that Matt Smiley sucks. He may be a nice guy whatever but I never thought he would be a force in GNCC no matter what he was riding.

Jake250ex
05-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SVTPete
I am in total agreeance that Matt Smiley sucks. He may be a nice guy whatever but I never thought he would be a force in GNCC no matter what he was riding.

If he sucks then how come we all know his name? I've never heard yours... maybe you should stop running your mouth. When you get several podiums and overall wins in the GNCC pro quad class then you may have room to talk, but I dont see that happening. BTW, no one said he sucked, just you.

jb500ex
05-21-2006, 03:59 PM
anyone who doesn't think smiley is a force knows nothing about gncc racers. He was the best guy polaris could have hired because his ability too take any machine and get in the top 5. the competition is getting tougher and he will be back to a top racer on his honda. Which he is definately faster on. if machines don't make a difference then what happened to stephanie parton all of a sudden, the polaris is a hard quad to be very competetive at a very high level.

jdwxv3
05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Oh my. I cant belive people are saying Matt Sucks. That cracks me up. No one that posted on this thread so far could ever ever hold a candle to Matt Except Jeff. Time will tell if he is washed up or not. Personally I belive he has a few good years left. And to race a quad at the pro level I would say it would take a lot of tweaking to get everything perfect. They cant just jump on and take off. I dont think anyone of us can understand how competitive the pros are and how important proper set up is. It obviously takes time and lots of effort. So everyone says the competition is getting tougher and maybe that is why Smiley had to part ways with Polaris so he could get on a machine he felt he can win on. Good Luck Smiley! Just dont beat Duane Johnson! Later, Josh

SVTPete
05-21-2006, 05:05 PM
I am hardly running my mouth. Secondly I never stepped out and said I could beat anyone in a GNCC race. Damn some of you people are very sensitive! It amazes me how worked up people can get over someones opinion. With that said the only reason I know his name is because he races a polaris and has gotten a pic in a magazine for finishing 64th or something. i think some of you need to relax.

cdalejef
05-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Just an FYI, the Predator won the 12 Hours of America shootout against the Honda and the Yamaha. I was one of the test riders and I had never rode a Predator up untill then. I was very impressed!

GE4x4
05-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
anyone who doesn't think smiley is a force knows nothing about gncc racers. He was the best guy polaris could have hired because his ability too take any machine and get in the top 5. the competition is getting tougher and he will be back to a top racer on his honda. Which he is definately faster on. if machines don't make a difference then what happened to stephanie parton all of a sudden, the polaris is a hard quad to be very competetive at a very high level.

Smiley basicly has no choice to do better. If he does the same it will show that the Pred is a great quad and he is at his limit. If he does worse it will show he made a bad choice. So his only option is to do better to quiet the critics.

Parton changed quads but it wasn't a solid axle to a solid axle. If you go from a SRA to IRS is a huge change in riding never mind racing. So considering her quad is still basicly stock, she is doing quite well. Put a set of stock a-arms and steering stem back on Cecco's YFZ and see how she does.

As far as not needing a summer to tune there quads, just look at what Natalie did when he did a couple GNCC races. He used Borich back-up quad with no seat time and did real well. Yokely raced a near stock quad and did well. Smiley all last year was in the top 5. The Pred has not changed at all. Smiley is a awesome racer and is far from sucking, but I can see from many post that people thinks it's because it's the Polaris is why he is doing bad. And I'm sure he gets told that all the time. If I was told all the time that my quad is whats holding me back, I would quit to. Nobody like to be the odd man out, and that is what he was. I hope he does well on his Honda.:)

05-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
Polaris should really do something with their high performance line up. they should either redo the predator to make it compeatable with the 450's, or introduce a new 450.

having the Outlaw and the Pred dont really make sense. Both are more primarily made for trails. its like they are conflicting with each other! i mean, you take Yamaha for example, they have a 450 for racing and a 700 for trails, as well as the banshee for dunes/open areas.

doesnt polaris have some sort of connection with KTM? why not just take a KTM 450 dirt bike motor, beef up the tranny and stuff it in a quad chasis?

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! THEY NEED TO MAKE A 450! THE KTM QUADS GOING TO BE A 520 THOUGH! I THINK THEY SHOULD MAKE A GOOD RACE WORTHY 450! I CANT WAIT TILL THEY DO! CUZ I KNOW IT WILL BE GOOD WHEN THEY DO!

jdwxv3
05-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Just an FYI, the Predator won the 12 Hours of America shootout against the Honda and the Yamaha. I was one of the test riders and I had never rode a Predator up untill then. I was very impressed!

I rode one when they first came out. I liked it but they were to wide. Plus around here you have to pay an arm and a leg for parts and the local dealer stinks. And Jeff now is your chance to get back to the GNCC's. Maybe Polaris will pick you up as the new factory rider. The thought had to have crossed your mind!

And I am not worked up. I just dont think a lot of people understand Gncc racing and how much machines do matter. I am also shocked how people can say Smiley sucks.

cdalejef
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the compliment but I have been off quads for way to long to make a dent in the pro class.

calds650
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
I can not believe the way this thread has gone. Too the people that say Matt sucks the next time you look into a mirror you will see a real sucker. I remember a saying my mother thought me as a young kid: if you can not say some thing nice about a person due not say any thing at all especially if you due not know the facts and are assuming things. If you due not know the fact’s keep your trap shut. I hope you know what they saw about people that *** u me. The new release said; Polaris and Smiley have decided to end their factory sponsorship agreement. That is all I need to know. They have handled it as adults I think the rest us should too. Too those that say Polaris quads suck. Bad new for you Matt proved you wrong. Last year he put the Predator on the podium 4 times. :mad:

05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Matt Smiley has probably been the most consistent Pro woods rider in the country for the past decade. He rides fast and smart and anybody that thinks he sucks doesn't know much about atv racing. He is a top 5 Pro and a threat for the podium and win at any given GNCC, ENOUGH SAID. He probably just wanted to ride something competitive for once this season.

MadDog56
05-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by T MORRIS
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! THEY NEED TO MAKE A 450! THE KTM QUADS GOING TO BE A 520 THOUGH! I THINK THEY SHOULD MAKE A GOOD RACE WORTHY 450! I CANT WAIT TILL THEY DO! CUZ I KNOW IT WILL BE GOOD WHEN THEY DO!

KTM does make a 450, try to keep up.

I was wondering why they ran a feature on the outlaw during the OLN airing of the GNCC Big Buck race and then Matt's riding an SRA machine. He did get the holeshot, fell back pretty quick though and while he stayed in the top ten pretty much the whole race the only reason he wasn't way behind the guy in front of him was because of a few slowdowns by the front runners.

Smiley is a great rider and will do well on another team and bike. I think Polaris still has a serious future in GNCC. I just think that they're going to have to do more in house testing with the outlaw, you can't just throw a brand new bike into the race a few weeks after it rolls of the production line. Polaris needs to take their time and find out what works, this is new to everybody with IRS and will take a lot of time/money/effort to get it setup right. In the meantime you can't keep losing in the spirit of improved tuning.

jb500ex
05-22-2006, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by polaris bob
Am I the only one that is not unhappy to see him go?

Quitter

Crybaby

Not a team player

Flash in the pan

IMO Matt is just out of his league and is trying anything to be considered at the top of his game, unfortunately his top game is just not good enough!

I doubt that his stats will change much no matter what bike he is riding! He is just not as good as he thinks he is!

I say good riddance to Matt Smiley! Buh Bye now Matt!:macho
this post shows how clueless your are about racing. 1st you call him a quitter, how many years has he been a top 10 and top 5 rider. second a crybaby, has he ever publicly said one bad thing about the polaris or did he stand behind them until the end. Not a team player, he did everything he could to help polaris . Flash in the pan i don't even have too address this moronic statement. and then you say a top notch rider should win on anything, this is the dumbest statement that is used way too much, when you get several top level talent the machine absolutely can be a difference. how well did borich do on a yamaha not very good why, because he did not feel good on it. And matt will be doing very good on the honda and the guy's on pro row know it.

jb500ex
05-22-2006, 05:30 AM
i was at a 12 hour test 2 years ago and i can tell you the polaris did not win. Jeff go out and ride it hard for 2 hours chasing ballance and borich and see if you still feel the same

jb500ex
05-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by GE4x4
Smiley basicly has no choice to do better. If he does the same it will show that the Pred is a great quad and he is at his limit. If he does worse it will show he made a bad choice. So his only option is to do better to quiet the critics.

Parton changed quads but it wasn't a solid axle to a solid axle. If you go from a SRA to IRS is a huge change in riding never mind racing. So considering her quad is still basicly stock, she is doing quite well. Put a set of stock a-arms and steering stem back on Cecco's YFZ and see how she does.

As far as not needing a summer to tune there quads, just look at what Natalie did when he did a couple GNCC races. He used Borich back-up quad with no seat time and did real well. Yokely raced a near stock quad and did well. Smiley all last year was in the top 5. The Pred has not changed at all. Smiley is a awesome racer and is far from sucking, but I can see from many post that people thinks it's because it's the Polaris is why he is doing bad. And I'm sure he gets told that all the time. If I was told all the time that my quad is whats holding me back, I would quit to. Nobody like to be the odd man out, and that is what he was. I hope he does well on his Honda.:)

natalie rides a honda so using someone elses honda is not that big of a difference. yokley raced a stock quad at florida because that was a good track for it, he did not race a stock quad at any other round. And the polaris is holding him back, tell me again how many pro's are racing a polaris. Didn't kim kuhnle switch to a yamaha also from polaris this year, im not sure why but he did.

calds650
05-22-2006, 06:13 AM
i was at a 12 hour test 2 years ago and i can tell you the polaris did not win. Jeff go out and ride it hard for 2 hours chasing ballance and borich and see if you still feel the same

The predator did not win the shoot out on points, it beat the other stock quads on the race track.

infantry317
05-22-2006, 08:05 AM
The fact of the matter is Polaris built machines that are simply not competive enough for that level of racing. At that level its not "just the rider" like it is or can be at lower levels. This isn't the first pro to not be happy with Polaris' products. I won't say any more.

Flynbryan19
05-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Although I also feel that it is the machine, I will certainly stir the pot with this question..... How about the suspension? Its the only thing that hasn't been talked about yet. Smiley was on a pred last year AND this year and his results weren't up to last years even on the pred. I wonder if he was just unable to get comfortable/find a happy setup with his Elkas. Smiley has been an Axis man for several years as far as I know. Maybe he just couldn't get his Elkas to work right.

calds650
05-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by infantry317
The fact of the matter is Polaris built machines that are simply not competive enough for that level of racing. At that level its not "just the rider" like it is or can be at lower levels. This isn't the first pro to not be happy with Polaris' products. I won't say any more.

Give the Predator 75 more cc like the 450's and you might see more in the Pro ranks. The fact that Polaris has only been making the Predator for 4 years they have had too make up a lot of ground on the big 3. If I was a pro race I would race Polaris because I like to be different. To be real a Honda or a Yamaha would be more practical more engine builders and aftermarket parts to use. Polaris mistake is they came out with a 500cc engine when they should have made a 450. Now they have team up with KTM they may get a 450 but I would guess that is at lest two years off.

Flynbryan19
05-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by calds650
Give the Predator 75 more cc like the 450's and you might see more in the Pro ranks. The fact that Polaris has only been making the Predator for 4 years they have had too make up a lot of ground on the big 3. If I was a pro race I would race Polaris because I like to be different. To be real a Honda or a Yamaha would be more practical more engine builders and aftermarket parts to use. Polaris mistake is they came out with a 500cc engine when they should have made a 450. Now they have team up with KTM they may get a 450 but I would guess that is at lest two years off.

Isn't the cc limit for Pro class 530cc....?? Why does it matter about the predators displacement?

I just feel Polaris doesn't know how to build as quality of a quad as the big four does. I've owned a Predator myself, so I know from personal experience the lack of build quality and attention to detail.

They split and thats that. The only ones that "really" know what happened are Polaris and Matt. Aside from that, we're all just pulling straws and making guess's based on our own opinions.....

infantry317
05-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Polaris should have made a quad that weighs 65lbs less than the predator

calds650
05-22-2006, 12:45 PM
infantry317 I agree with you on the weight. With KTM’s help I hope they can make a lighter engine which should drop the Predator into the 380 lbs range. They still need to work on quality but they are getting better and I wish they would scandalized there nut and bolts too only metric.

GE4x4
05-22-2006, 03:41 PM
natalie rides a honda so using someone elses honda is not that big of a difference. yokley raced a stock quad at florida because that was a good track for it, he did not race a stock quad at any other round. And the polaris is holding him back, tell me again how many pro's are racing a polaris. Didn't kim kuhnle switch to a yamaha also from polaris this year, im not sure why but he did.

There are not many pros on a Pred because no one gives them a chance.:( Look at the aftermarket stuff, tons and tons of stuff for the 450's, but can't find squat for the Pred. How much money do you think are on the front end of Ballence, Borich, and other Pros? ASR/FX a-arms, Houser, and so on. There fully adjustable, but what does the Pred get, nothing, as most are still riding stock a-arms. It's the same with swing arms and tie rods and ends. NOBODY makes them for the Pred. So how do you expect a near stock quad going up against $20000 quads? Well Smiley did just that last year. But I would get sick of seeing everyone else get all the goodies and I sit back dealing with stock stuff. So many people including many on this site have got Polaris so stereotype that there junk, that most believe it. :mad:

jb500ex
05-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
There are not many pros on a Pred because no one gives them a chance.:( Look at the aftermarket stuff, tons and tons of stuff for the 450's, but can't find squat for the Pred. How much money do you think are on the front end of Ballence, Borich, and other Pros? ASR/FX a-arms, Houser, and so on. There fully adjustable, but what does the Pred get, nothing, as most are still riding stock a-arms. It's the same with swing arms and tie rods and ends. NOBODY makes them for the Pred. So how do you expect a near stock quad going up against $20000 quads? Well Smiley did just that last year. But I would get sick of seeing everyone else get all the goodies and I sit back dealing with stock stuff. So many people including many on this site have got Polaris so stereotype that there junk, that most believe it. :mad:
or just maybe the pro's don't think the polaris is good enough at that level. aftermarket companies will make what they have a demand for. if bill ballance wanted to run a polaris i guarantee ars-fx will have a-arms for him. for the average trail rider the polaris is a very nice quad, but at top level racing it is at a disadvantage whether you want too believe it or not. But that might change in the future.

calds650
05-22-2006, 04:15 PM
GE4x4 I like my junk and I like that I am not part of group mind set like some people. I enjoy being independent and different too bad so may have such closed minds. :blah:

GE4x4
05-22-2006, 04:23 PM
or just maybe the pro's don't think the polaris is good enough at that level. aftermarket companies will make what they have a demand for. if bill ballance wanted to run a polaris i guarantee ars-fx will have a-arms for him. for the average trail rider the polaris is a very nice quad, but at top level racing it is at a disadvantage whether you want too believe it or not. But that might change in the future.

True it might change. I would agree that the Pred isn't a top level if I saw one set up the way all the other are and didn't do good. Nobody has even tried, they just all asume it's a Polaris so it's not a racer. I've talked to many aftermarket companies reguarding stuff for the Pred. Allmost all have said that they don't plan on making anything for the Pred. Smiley raced a Pred all last year, yet not one manufactor made any a-arms or swing arm for it even tho he was in the top 5 many times. WHY?? And when people like me and many others want to race the Pred we all start with a dissadvantage because we can't get ours set up. So any new one's that are coming out see the same thing so they won't even try a Pred knowing they can't get it set up. So now I still race a basicly stock quad against many with big money in them and still do qite fine. But I know if I had better stuff like the others, I would do better. But the way things are going, it looks like I will have to deal with it. One question tho, how do you think most of the Pros would do if they were still on stock a-arms,swing arms, tie rods and ends and axles?:)

jdwxv3
05-22-2006, 05:21 PM
They would still be fast.

cdalejef
05-22-2006, 05:43 PM
My ATK was all stock except for the Elka's, It can be done.

GE4x4
05-22-2006, 05:47 PM
My ATK was all stock except for the Elka's, It can be done.

The ATK's are very nicely set up, so I don't doubt it a bit.

GE4x4
05-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jdwxv3
They would still be fast.

True, but as fast as they are now?

exracer416
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
id kinda like to ask a few things here i really dont think you need much more than what the predator has already i say give it a diet and narrow it up 2 inches and youd have an outstanding woods racer. other than that??? it already has long travel a-arms. a very strong axle an awesome motor that has potential. id say do away with the pro steering it may be nice but not really worth the extra hassle. i think my ideal quad would be built upon the predator.that 500cc's would be awesome in a smaller package

kc8pnd
05-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Now I know why Matt was not at the GNCC on the 20th at millfield Ohio. Was going to get an autograph but he was not around. Steph got second though YAY!

infantry317
05-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Well I know that Daryl had to fight the weight of that predator all the time. He was running against quads 50-70lbs less. He did a lot of Pred improvements. Also, the outlaw is not getting glowing reviews.

Smiley is a h3ll of a rider, I'll think you'll see him improve greatly off those tanks.

jb500ex
05-23-2006, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by kc8pnd
Now I know why Matt was not at the GNCC on the 20th at millfield Ohio. Was going to get an autograph but he was not around. Steph got second though YAY!
steph got 3rd

kc8pnd
05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Opps, I seen her on the podium, gave her a thumbs up. For some reason I was thinking 2nd. Still good job, that track was a mess in the morning.

Meat
06-02-2006, 03:47 PM
for the average trail rider the polaris is a very nice quad, but at top level racing it is at a disadvantage whether you want too believe it or not

Yup. I think you summed it pretty good with that quote. There's nothing wrong with Polaris' Predator, its just that its in a different league than say a YFZ450 or 450r. Matts racing a trail quad against Japanese racing quads. Thats not an easy job to do.

For years Smiley was a top 3 Pro. His 5th overall last year was one hellava feat, since he had to race the big Pred.

If Polaris would want to sell a ton of racing quads, all they'd need to do is build a reliable, 350 pound, modern 450cc powered, E-start, low slung, 250r based frame quad.... a quad like the big 4 Japanese companies are building. No "PRO" steering. No "IRS" No overweight by 75 pounds. No 500cc motor. No goofy looking plastics. :ermm: The folks at Polaris can PM me if they need my services:cool: :D

kc8pnd
06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
I look for Polaris & KTM to put something out in the next few years.

bradley300
06-03-2006, 05:57 AM
mod out your 450's and then see how much that 350lb quad really weighs. they really arent much lighter than a pred

joedirt
04-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by polaris bob
You can go on blaming the bike all you want to! I stand by what I say. If I am wrong so be it.

Everyone likes to say, this guy won or that guy won because of what machine they were racing that weekend, this goes on in any form of motorized racing, bar none.

That is where the term, win on Sunday, sell on Monday comes from!

Everyone like to say that the predator sucks or the Outlaw sucks or this or that Yada Yada Yada blah blah blah! What ever!

Has anyone here actually ever weighed the various bikes that are racing and even compared what they weigh? I am talking about the bikes as they roll up to the starting grid, not as they roll off the factory floor.

I you would, you would find that the bikes are a lot closer in weight than everyone gives them credit for! These quads that are racing at this level are so far from what rolls off the factory floor that any comparison to a stock machine is just laughable.

Now a days these bikes are so close to each other that who wins the race is more determined by the racer and his mechanic/ crew chief than any other item.

Mind you nowhere did you see me say that Honda sucks, Yamaha sucks or for that matter Polaris sucks.

IMO they are all great machines and I would have anyone of them in my garage, it just so happens that I have a Polaris in my garage at this time, but that is of no matter. I will say it again, they are all great machines!

I said that Matt sucks!

Instead of taking the blame on himself and trying to do something to better himself, he blames the machine and jumps ship.

That act alone, tells me what kind of person Matt is.

It is my OPINION that Matt will never do much better than he already has no matter what he is racing on, until Matt makes the decision to better himself and quit blaming the machine for his faults and problems.

If you don't agree with my opinion,, that is your right, like they say. Everyone has an opinion, just like they all have something else!! LOL

PB out

Your wrong. http://www.gnccracing.com/racereports/2007_TN_ATV.cfm

OutlawBill
04-30-2007, 02:14 PM
joedirt you are correct he has done better and he should now that his knee has been fixed and gotten stronger. You can not race pro level with a bad knee like he did last year.

GE4x4
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
He still isn't up to his 05 numbers while on a near stock Pred.

katch26
05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
1. this thread is a year old.
2. you wait 10 months to tell someone they're wrong:rolleyes:

you didn't say a damned thing when they were ringing the guy out but now you reopen a thread with an "I told you so" attitude. I guess your bandwagon had room for one more.

joedirt
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I've known Matt for along time...I was just waiting for the right time.

To argue in a forum with someone that doesn't have a clue is a waste of time.

katch26
05-02-2007, 07:09 AM
but taking the time to blow the dust off a mothballed thread is a constructive use of time? :rolleyes:

OutlawBill
05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
joedirt due know when he tore up his knee last year? I would say from the beginning of last year; He would star in the top 5 and fade fast each race.

GE4x4
05-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
joedirt due know when he tore up his knee last year? I would say from the beginning of last year; He would star in the top 5 and fade fast each race.

The chances this gets answered is very slim. No one will admit to his knee as that would show it was him that didn't do well and not the Pred or Outlaw. For these guys it's alot easier to slam Polaris then to admit he had a injury. And like I said before, he still isn't near his 05 performance on a near stock Pred compared to his fully modded 450R.

OutlawBill
05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
GE4X4 they can not deny it 0n 1-29-07 http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/gncc2007atvteamchrisborichmattsmiley.html

said (Matt Smiley, a veteran of the GNCC series since the mid nineties, has finished in the top five overall for nine of the past ten seasons, finishing 2nd overall in the series three times. Last season Matt suffered from a knee injury that required surgery and rehabilitation but with a new teammate, new program, and the most competitive equipment available expect to see an extremely focused and determined Matt Smiley in 2007)

The ? is when and how the knee got damaged?

GE4x4
05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I know they know, but when ever the subject gets brought up, everyone is hush hush. Just seems when they start bragging about his season and how he's on a much better quad then Polaris, and he's doing so much better then last year. Then you mention his knee, then they stop replying.:confused:

05-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Matt Smiley & the outlaw = poor finish now its Bryan Baker & the outlaw = poor finish ---- Bryan does your knee hurt? :eek2:

GE4x4
05-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by lappy
Matt Smiley & the outlaw = poor finish now its Bryan Baker & the outlaw = poor finish ---- Bryan does your knee hurt? :eek2:

You race a near bone stock quad in the pro class, then tell me how you would do. Both Baker and Smiley with just shocks and a slip on pipe, were going against fully modded 450's with about every mod available for them. So they didn't do bad considering how close to stock they are.

OutlawBill
05-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by lappy

Matt had bad knee and bad shocks, Bryan has bad shocks and no time on the 525 befor the race season started. I think it will take Bryan some time in the second half befor he gits the 525 figured out. Doug Echiner took the 525 too a second place in the last WORCS race and won the hole shot over all the 470+cc Honda's and Yamaha's

rjg2
05-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
GE4X4 they can not deny it 0n 1-29-07 http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/gncc2007atvteamchrisborichmattsmiley.html

said (Matt Smiley, a veteran of the GNCC series since the mid nineties, has finished in the top five overall for nine of the past ten seasons, finishing 2nd overall in the series three times. Last season Matt suffered from a knee injury that required surgery and rehabilitation but with a new teammate, new program, and the most competitive equipment available expect to see an extremely focused and determined Matt Smiley in 2007)

The ? is when and how the knee got damaged?

Can i ask why everyone is still bashing Matt Smiley for something that is a year old? Why is it your business or anyone else business how he injured his knee?

Seems interesting to me that everyone starts talking about Matt again after his results start returning to normal.

Its also amusing to see how everyone wants to blame something whether it's the shocks, or Matt's knee, or whatever. How bout we let the results of everyone else that rides the machine now and last season speak for themselves.

Matt and Polaris are old new. GET OVER IT!!!!

GE4x4
05-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by rjg2
Can i ask why everyone is still bashing Matt Smiley for something that is a year old? Why is it your business or anyone else business how he injured his knee?

Seems interesting to me that everyone starts talking about Matt again after his results start returning to normal.

Its also amusing to see how everyone wants to blame something whether it's the shocks, or Matt's knee, or whatever. How bout we let the results of everyone else that rides the machine now and last season speak for themselves.

Matt and Polaris are old new. GET OVER IT!!!!

Why don't you read and see who brought this back up, we just replyed to him.

It's also funny how everyone slams Polaris when there bring a basicly stock quad to pro row. Have Smiley just put on some shocks and a slip on and see how he does. Lets compare apples to apples.

joedirt
05-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Matt already did that on a stock Yamaha in 03 and did pretty good on it.

Since your such a know it all you would have taken notice that I did not bash polaris. I replied to this 10 month old thread to point out the fact that Matt is still a very capable rider and the person I quoted was WRONG.

GE4x4
05-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by joedirt
Matt already did that on a stock Yamaha in 03 and did pretty good on it.

Since your such a know it all you would have taken notice that I did not bash polaris. I replied to this 10 month old thread to point out the fact that Matt is still a very capable rider and the person I quoted was WRONG.

And if you noticed, I made two comments on my last post. One for replying to yours, then the other for Polaris bashers. I don't see your name on it. But I was saying it in general. All you have to do is read any thread and you get your bashers reguarding Smiley and Polaris. And you can not deny that.