PDA

View Full Version : filters

Johnny B
05-19-2006, 02:03 PM
So i was thinking about getting a k and n air filter for my 450 considering my sparks one fell apart. does anybody have any opnions aobut the k and n, does it filter well and does it flow as good as a foam filter?

d3ktrix
05-19-2006, 02:18 PM
K&N filters flow more air then a foam filter but they do not filter as good.

I have been told by a few people that they can cause value failure on the 450r's because they let some stuff through.
A service guy at my dealer that I know very well says a lot of people that were having the right intake valve going bad on their 450r's was from running K&N filters or not cleaning their foam filters enough.
The valve closes on the sand and messes it up.

Though if you’re always running on a damp track I would say you’re safe. But in dunes/pits/trails I would stick to foam.

You can also get outerwear covers to go over the K&N.

K&N filters are also a problem for nitro RC cars. They let in too many particals for the tiny nitro engine compared to the foam and the engines would get eatin up. (My friend can tell you first hand that this is a fact :P )

eganracing
05-19-2006, 04:35 PM
no problems with my k&n. but the power difference between the k&n and stock is so small u will never notice.

goldrims04
05-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
K&N filters flow more air then a foam filter but they do not filter as good.

I have been told by a few people that they can cause value failure on the 450r's because they let some stuff through.
A service guy at my dealer that I know very well says a lot of people that were having the right intake valve going bad on their 450r's was from running K&N filters or not cleaning their foam filters enough.
The valve closes on the sand and messes it up.

Though if you’re always running on a damp track I would say you’re safe. But in dunes/pits/trails I would stick to foam.

You can also get outerwear covers to go over the K&N.

K&N filters are also a problem for nitro RC cars. They let in too many particals for the tiny nitro engine compared to the foam and the engines would get eatin up. (My friend can tell you first hand that this is a fact :P ) k&n filters flow more than a paper filter and i dislike them foam filters all the way

JRP
05-19-2006, 05:23 PM
i went with UNI and i love it.

Quadster450
05-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
no problems with my k&n. but the power difference between the k&n and stock is so small u will never notice.

i agree. i ride dunes all the time and i run the outerewear pre filter and an EHS lid and it stays pretty clean

MMcCannon
05-20-2006, 09:06 AM
I love my K&N but deffinately recommend running the prefilter...espcially without the lid.

Johnny B
05-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by goldrims04
k&n filters flow more than a paper filter and i dislike them foam filters all the way

The k&n filter is a paper fliter!
thanks guys, i think im going to order a k&n with a outerwhere, i dont think i will have any problems if i keep up on maintenence

eganracing
05-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Johnny B
The k&n filter is a paper fliter!
thanks guys, i think im going to order a k&n with a outerwhere, i dont think i will have any problems if i keep up on maintenence

its not paper. its oiled cotton fabric. thats what the K&N website says.

GIXXER1KR
05-20-2006, 08:59 PM
K&N Pro Design with the outerware.No Lid and i do some serious mudding and trail.No problems.Just rcommend spraying the outerware with 3M water repellent!!!

fatkid400
05-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JRP
i went with UNI and i love it.

Same here, I've ran uni on my dirt bikes for years and never had any problems or junk in my carb:D wouldnt run k&n,heard way to many bad stories.

ryann mx68
05-22-2006, 04:21 PM
twin air, foam baby!!!