PDA

View Full Version : How to install a 14T sprocket?

08-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Purchased a 14t renthal sprocket today, anyone have any links of how to install the sprocket or directions of how you did it. I dont want to mess anything up. I have a stock chain on my 02 and stock rear sprocket. Im just changing the front becuase I want for bottom end ...
Thanks
Erik :confused:

Nausty
08-07-2002, 05:27 PM
your pry gonna need a chain breaker if you have the stock chain. I'm not sure on how to take it off but really for later use get a chlymer service manual it tells you practically everything about the quad mechanicly.

Tommy 17
08-07-2002, 06:18 PM
ok its easy as pie heres the steps...

u need a 8mm and a 10mm socket not sure on the 10 it mayb a 12mm... ur chain adjuster allen key wrench...

loosen ur chain so it's as loose as it can be... loosen the 4 bolts at the bottom of the swing arm and turn the carrier to loosen the chain... u need this so u can slide the chain off the sprokets...

on the front sproket there should be a guard... take the 2 8mm bolts out of the guard and it should come off... there also will be a u shaped metal piece (case saver) take that off also...

now u should be able to see the sproket... take the 2 bolts off either 10mm or 12mm i forget on the face of the socket... then there should be a little piece of metal that the 2 bolts hold on... turn it till the grooves aren't in line with the grooves on ur shaft(thing sproket sits on)... now slide the little metal piece off... then slide off the stock sproket... there should be enouf slack in the chain to slide the sproket off... put the new 14t sproket back on the shaft and line the little matel piece up so it slides back on then turn it so the bolts line up to go trough the metal piece and back into the sproket... tighten the bolts up...

put ur chain back on the sprokets and tighten the chain up by turning the carrier the other way... now tighten ur 4 allen head bolts up at the end of the swing arm...

put the bike in neutral and push it to make sure everything is lined up ok and not rubbin anything...

then put back on the guard and case saver and put the 8mm bolts back in and ur done

wow that was long haha

tants
08-07-2002, 06:23 PM
put the case saver back on as you slip the new sprocket on with the chain, it wont fit if you put the sprocket on first

08-07-2002, 06:36 PM
just what they said but if you need more help go and read the faq at the top of the page, it takes all but 15 minutes to do a good job of changing it and then re-tightening it and check if it is properly lubed