PDA

View Full Version : dirtbike opinions needed

ny300exrider
05-19-2006, 05:16 AM
hey guys im thinking about switching over from sport quads to dirtbikes. i ride a 05 honda 450r with mods, which im thinking about selling for some sort of bike just to experience and learn new things. im 16, 6'1 145 with 4-5 years experience with quads.im having trouble deciding which bike i should look into. i ride fast paced powerlines,sandpits with hillclimbs, some small homeade jumps here and there, and alot of woops and rough stuff. i don't however ride at mx tracks or race. i would like to TRY to stay away from 2 strokes if i could. with the type of riding i do, would a 250f be sufficient? the thing about the 250f is, i really dont want to have to deal with all of the engine problems i hear about. if i wasnt too hard on the f motor, kept it in steady rpms with little rev limiter, and just rode feilds pits and trails, should i have too many problems? i know the 4 stroke trail bikes like XR are very reliable, but it just seems like for my style, the mx bike would suite me better.

thanks alot

zeppelin
05-19-2006, 05:29 AM
you need a 250f, they are the greatest things since.... yeah i cant thing of anything that was better, but yeah as long as you dont keep it pinned all of the time it will last ALOT longer. any time you get some king of preformance mod for it make sure it is ment to improve lowend or mid range and it wont be too hard to keeep it off of the limiter.

ny300exrider
05-19-2006, 05:34 AM
awsome thanks for the quick response. im also thinking about the crf450x because it can be easily dualsported if i wanted that in the future

05-19-2006, 06:14 AM
actuall i was thinking if your not going to race competitivly i would try to stay away from 4-strokes. You will have to wok on the engine more time to time and if you dont do normal checkups you will be in a serious money hole. with what you are doing i would look at getting a 250 2 stroke, it is powerfull, enough to get you up any hill you throw at it and if your a decent rider you can keep up with the 450's. 450's and the 250f's are the new thing and theyre great bike but if you are not going to race whats the point. I have no clue on what goes on with the 450x, I stick to my motocross bikes but speak to plante400 on this site. He has got on and he seems to like it ALOT. 6 foot 1 is also a decent hight to ride a 250. the 250 will pull thrugh every gear in a straight away, great to take to the dunes,you can abuse it to a certain extent and you are not going to burn a hole in your wallet when you need to rebuild it. I was speaking to the guy at the kawi dealer and he was telling how much it woulda been to get my bottom and top end rebuilt and have the cases split if i had a 250f now all i gotta do is gine him $600 and ill have my cases split and a brand new bottom and top end.Go to video.google.com or yahoo or w/e and watch 4 stroke helmet cam video and then wtch a 2 stroke helmet cam video.

Thats what made me change my mind on getting a ?????

hihihihi lol:p

250rider1
05-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Get a 250 2 stroke. Trust me, you will like it!!!

rbgnwa45
05-19-2006, 07:35 AM
X2. I asked the same question to a dirtbike mechanic while I was getting my bike fixed & looking at a YZ250F for sale that he had in his shop. He said there's no point in buying one to play ride because the the reason the guy is selling the bike in the first place is because he blew the motor up and would have costed him a few grand for a new one. He pretty much steered my dad away from buying it :grr: . He did however say that a 250 2-stroke could be more fun, and more forgiving on your wallet as they are relatively cheap used (98-02). Good luck with your choice. I myself would like to have the 450X.

ny300exrider
05-19-2006, 08:13 AM
i just dont like two strokes. i dont like mixing the gas and i dont like the power curve. ive always had 4 strokes and i like the smoothness of them. if its not worth getting a 4 stroke bike, then i probably wont get anything. the 450x seems nice so far. ive talked to plante before and he said he loves his. i have been looking at the 450x forum on thumpertalk and it seems pretty good.

Plante400
05-19-2006, 10:49 AM
mine

good way to go

ELewandowski
05-19-2006, 12:22 PM
I dont know too much about bikes, but i would suggest sticking with 4-stroke, 2-strokes are on their way out, the Planet Honda dealer here doesn't ever carry 2-strokes anymore. My buddy got the new 450 bike, dont know its name, the 450 honda, that thing rips, way faster than their cr250r. But for your size i would go for the smaller 4-stroke bike. Besides, who wants to mix gas, feels like i'm mixing gas for my weedwhip or something.

Tommy 17
05-19-2006, 02:13 PM
are u guys just dumb or lookin to get this kid hurt sayin to put him on a 250 2 stroke as a 1st bike...

go with a crf250f or crf250x... u can't beat them... the motor problems are a bunch of lies... i've had mine for 3 months now and beat on it fairly good and i've yet to have one... theres no more maintence to them then there is ur 450r or any 2 stroke bike...

05-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
are u guys just dumb or lookin to get this kid hurt sayin to put him on a 250 2 stroke as a 1st bike...

go with a crf250f or crf250x... u can't beat them... the motor problems are a bunch of lies... i've had mine for 3 months now and beat on it fairly good and i've yet to have one... theres no more maintence to them then there is ur 450r or any 2 stroke bike...

am i dumb

No i currently have a 125 and i regret getting it over a 250.. Maybe you like your 250f bt ive never even ridden a moving thing with a clutch before my 125 and i still to this day wish I had gotten a 250

coolex
05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
im trying to swich to i want a crf250

Blue250X
05-19-2006, 02:39 PM
ok, well, my friend wanted something to ride becouse he had nothing, he had never ridden a dirtbike before and he see's this 1994 KX250 sitting by the road. Everyone was saying he couldnt ride it of hes too short (5'5", 130 lbs!!) and he got it at teh end of winter where there was a little snow but not much....well.....HE RODE THAT LIKE HE STOLE IT!! so, basically, if ya want a 250 2 stroke, get one. You can prolly get used to it in a little while, i even rode it and it has ebough power to make ya ****, but thats wat the throttle is for. so, id say get whatever comes up first

ny300exrider
05-19-2006, 04:47 PM
i pretty much decided to keep my 450r and save up some money over the summer for a clean, stock, good priced 125 or maybe xr/drz 250. instead of selling the quad for a new 4 stroke mx bike, i can keep it and get something thats cheaper to mess around on and have the best of both worlds. i would miss my quad too much especially since riding in the snow is my favorite.

rmz250
05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't get a drz 250. just got with a crf. They're great bikes and I haven't had any problems with mine.

300exr
05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/300exr/125.jpg

heres mine, its ok, two strokes are two strokes, but i know that four stroke mx bikes can be a pain too(valves, etc). People say 125s have no low end, but its not bad at all honestly, they arent slow, just stab the clutch and hold on lol. Be careful, I had a badly sprained arm my 2nd day on it, and my wrist still hurts too, but you will like bikes, trust me, VERY FUN!:blah:

boricua
05-19-2006, 07:38 PM
if you really like the 4 strokes, get one. yz250f (what i have) or a yz450f. plenty of torque and get up and go. bikes weigh a little over a 100 pounds less than a quad, so they move. much more comfortable than a quad to ride, you can go through more stuff....cause your only worried about 2 wheels in line instead of 4. there are a bit of a pain to start, especially if you stall one or lay it down. im 5'7" so its tough for me, youre much taller....should be a breeze for you. 2 strokes cost less to buy, can make more power for less money, they weight even less but they wear out faster also. you'll buy a topend rebuild for a 2 stroke way before a 4 stroke. there is a little more rider input with the clutch on them as well than on a 4 stroke.
i dont think you have to sell your quad though, i didnt. i saved bout 3 grand and got a 2001 yz350f with air filter, full pipe graphics, seatcover and a couple of extra parts. runs like a bat outta hell. maintenance is a bit higher, but youre used to that with your 4 stroke quad, so......
there are pros and cons for both.
anyway, good luck.

Plante400
05-19-2006, 10:29 PM
hmm whoever said we were trying to get the kid killed

my first bike was a 2001 kx250

and my second bike which is what i have now is the crf450x

hes been on a quad so offroad isnt anything new to him

i dont know i just was naturally good on a bike i guess
but
im sure hell be ok and plus your obviously going to want to have something with as much power as the quad CMON!!!

Plante400
05-19-2006, 10:31 PM
my first time on my new bike couple weeks ago

carefull in the sand if you get a bike just keep your speed up

boricua
05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
there is one thing all should agree on.......

riding styles are very different on a bike.

coming from a quad, you get used to how it slides in turns and handles bumps, jumps, etc.... the bike will want to slide as well but your only on two wheels so stability is a factor. you might feel like your gonna fall if you were to try and take a corner as the same speed as you would on your quad. body english, how much you throw your weight around on a quad, may not be so neccessary on a bike, plus you can lean the bike too....just becarefull, it didnt take me too many rides to make the adjustment.....but i did start on dirtbikes........not sure if that had anything to do with it. :blah: :macho

ny300exrider
05-20-2006, 05:46 AM
thanks alot for the help everyone. i would go with a 4 stroke and keep the quad if i could but its just not going to happen financially. i have to buy first year car insurance for myself this summer which is around 2500, so buying a 4stroke bike on top of that will be very unlikely. i think i will be plenty happy with a nice clean 125 to rip around and still have my 450. i have ridden a yz125 before and had a ton of fun

05-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Marshmello
am i dumb

No i currently have a 125 and i regret getting it over a 250.. Maybe you like your 250f bt ive never even ridden a moving thing with a clutch before my 125 and i still to this day wish I had gotten a 250 From your pics ot doesnt even look like you're using what little power your 125 has. NO offense, but personally I think a 250 2 stroke would own you.

boricua
05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
go with a 250. 125s are good, but you'll have to run the motor harder to keep up. dont let the "250" scare you. if you can ride a 125, you can ride a 250. and theyre not that much more expensive. and you wont run out of power. if you feel bored with a stock 250, they respond well to upgrades.....its possible to get 50+ hp out of a 250, not that hard either or expensive. think what it would take to get a 4 stroke to make that power.....

05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
From your pics ot doesnt even look like you're using what little power your 125 has. NO offense, but personally I think a 250 2 stroke would own you.

I personaly think 243 lbs is to heavy for a 125

boricua
05-20-2006, 07:11 PM
:eek: yup you want a 250, no offense

05-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by boricua
:eek: yup you want a 250, no offense

Im not fat im jus a lil chunky :p Yea i deffinetly think so too

05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
btw thats when i landed ^^^

DieselBoy
05-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm totally in favor of the 2 stroke bike idea for your application. The new fourstrokes are smooth and fun to ride yada yada, but they are maintenance whores. Hands down, the 2 stroke YZ250 / YZ125 or something is your best bet. 2 smoker's are snappy, fun, and they have 30% less parts. What's this mean? significantly less cash on repairs, rebuilds, etc. You can literally do a top end on a 2 stroke in 30 minutes.

LONG LIVE THE 2 SMOKERS!!!!!

400EXtreme
05-21-2006, 10:44 AM
so hows the yzf 250 compare to the crf im stuck between both of them.

prepracing
05-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
I'm totally in favor of the 2 stroke bike idea for your application. The new fourstrokes are smooth and fun to ride yada yada, but they are maintenance whores. Hands down, the 2 stroke YZ250 / YZ125 or something is your best bet. 2 smoker's are snappy, fun, and they have 30% less parts. What's this mean? significantly less cash on repairs, rebuilds, etc. You can literally do a top end on a 2 stroke in 30 minutes.

LONG LIVE THE 2 SMOKERS!!!!!

maintenance whores............ and the 2 strokes are not :confused:

05-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 400EXtreme
so hows the yzf 250 compare to the crf im stuck between both of them.

06 to 06 i love the yz cant beat it with the alumnim frame and that crf has horrible system with the duals.

I have to say kawi and yami have deffinelty got the best 250'fs this year by far imo

if you are looking for anything under 06 id go with the crf, (the 05 to specific) speak to tommy 17 hes got one and he seems to LOVE it. Welp thats my 2 cents hope it helps

DieselBoy
05-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
maintenance whores............ and the 2 strokes are not :confused:

Not as bad as the fourstrokes...The 250 2-strokes last a long time, all you really need to do is mix fuel, clean your air filter regularly, and do piston & rings every once and a while...

the thumpers need more engine maintenance.

rmz250
05-21-2006, 12:08 PM
06 to 06 i love the yz cant beat it with the alumnim frame and that crf has horrible system with the duals.

I have to say kawi and yami have deffinelty got the best 250'fs this year by far imo

if you are looking for anything under 06 id go with the crf, (the 05 to specific) speak to tommy 17 hes got one and he seems to LOVE it. Welp thats my 2 cents hope it helps

What makes you think the kawi and yamaha have the best '06 bikes out there? The Honda was above and beyond its years with the aluminum frame. The '06 kawasaki still is trampled with motor problems. The yamaha still doesn't handle that great but does have the strongest motor. I'll stick with my '05 honda until something better comes out.

05-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by rmz250
What makes you think the kawi and yamaha have the best '06 bikes out there? The Honda was above and beyond its years with the aluminum frame. The '06 kawasaki still is trampled with motor problems. The yamaha still doesn't handle that great but does have the strongest motor. I'll stick with my '05 honda until something better comes out.

well basicly to every person that i know and that have one tell me that the 06 kx250f is hard to keep their front wheel on the ground. well i mean its all rider but unless you wanna pay a g and a half for a full system go with the 06 crf.well davi is #1 on the east coast on the crf and grant is #1 on the west coast with the kawasaki.

the reason I like the yamaha is becase they have really stepped up wit hthe alumnim frame in there 06's. And i see that at the track most of the riders say that they have the hardest hit. Stick with what you want but thats my opinion. But what do i know i ride a 125.

05-21-2006, 12:42 PM

I also did say that honda has the best 05 250f out there didnt I. If youre worried about the newer motocross bikes having reliabilty/flaw issues your better off buying a trail bike, because no matter what on a mx/sx bike you are going to always have to change the oil canstantly,check the valves, replace piston,rings,Rebuilds top,bottom and tranny etc etc.... so if you want an mxer you should be willing to spend some $$

rmz250
05-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I also did say that honda has the best 05 250f out there didnt I. If youre worried about the newer motocross bikes having reliabilty/flaw issues your better off buying a trail bike, because no matter what on a mx/sx bike you are going to always have to change the oil canstantly,check the valves, replace piston,rings,Rebuilds top,bottom and tranny etc etc.... so if you want an mxer you should be willing to spend some $$

Alls your doing is qouting what other people have said. i doubt you have ridden any '06 bike for that matter.

05-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Alls your doing is qouting what other people have said. i doubt you have ridden any '06 bike for that matter.

well your right i havent ridden 06 bike yet but ive ridden an 05 yz 250f and man did that feel like,??? i dont feel like getting flamed right now but it gets to me constantly how bubba is faster on a thumper than on a pinger. With all seriosness, i will stick to my 125 untill i find a 250 pinger cus this is what i like. I like watching 2 strokes race, I like the smell of a pinger buring race fuel, I LOVE the sound of a pinger and nobody can change my mind. Go watch a thumper helmet cam and then watch the pingers. the thumper is smooth and it feels like a cadilac or ummmm a wheel chair,but then watch a helmet cam with some rock and pinger thats sex right there. Maybe someday I will get alittle more serious about racing and TRY to get use to the power of a thumper. But untill then ill stick with a pinger, sorry if you think im stealing peoples quotes, or if you think im lying or w/e but this is my 2 cents.

Mxjunkie
05-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Personally I like the 4 strokes and all but I love 2 strokes even more. I would get a 250cc 2 stroke and never look back.

rmz250
05-21-2006, 01:05 PM
well your right i havent ridden 06 bike yet but ive ridden an 05 yz 250f and man did that feel like,??? i dont feel like getting flamed right now but it gets to me constantly how bubba is faster on a thumper than on a pinger. With all seriosness, i will stick to my 125 untill i find a 250 pinger cus this is what i like. I like watching 2 strokes race, I like the smell of a pinger buring race fuel, I LOVE the sound of a pinger and nobody can change my mind. Go watch a thumper helmet cam and then watch the pingers. the thumper is smooth and it feels like a cadilac or ummmm a wheel chair,but then watch a helmet cam with some rock and pinger thats sex right there. Maybe someday I will get alittle more serious about racing and TRY to get use to the power of a thumper. But untill then ill stick with a pinger, sorry if you think im stealing peoples quotes, or if you think im lying or w/e but this is my 2 cents.

I'm not flaming you but no one has the best bike out. There all great bikes.

MotoX3
05-21-2006, 01:17 PM
You have all the power you need in a stock 125 motor, it's just a matter of your abilities on how fast you can make it go..

Mxjunkie
05-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by MotoX3
You have all the power you need in a stock 125 motor, it's just a matter of your abilities on how fast you can make it go..

Hell bubba kicked *** on a 125 remeber when he use to do jumps the 250cc 2 strokes were doing on one :eek2:

400EXtreme
05-21-2006, 02:58 PM
So is the yzf hard to maintain becuz of the valves or there isnt much difference just check em to make sure there fine?

DOHC
05-21-2006, 04:40 PM
DONT DO IT i just sold my 04 crf 250 with chm full system, factory effex graphics, hole shot device, and excel rims and hubs for my 400ex thos bikes r money pits, every part cost so much, there not very reliable, if i was to go back to bikes hands down another 2 stroke, smokers r not good for racing anymore but r alot more fun and cheaper than thumpers

DOHC
05-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Hell bubba kicked *** on a 125 remeber when he use to do jumps the 250cc 2 strokes were doing on one :eek2:
yea used to all tracks have larger gaps with smaller stright aways, why do u think no riders smokers cause they dont have the torque to clear the tripples