PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got My Elka's !!!

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 01:18 AM
So after countless hours of researching shocks and reading people's opinions, I finally went with Elka Rec series ZPS fronts and a rebuild/revalve of the stock rear by C&D converted to an Elka dual-rate ZPS spring. I went out for a couple of hours last night and today and I can definitely tell a difference. Where it felt like the old shocks just bounced over rocks or bumps or whatever was on the trail, the new shocks feel like they absorb the ground and don't transfer all the vibrations and shakes to your body. You can tell the suspension does all the work and you sit a lot more comfortable. Even when I got off balance going thru some whoops, the suspension soaked it up. Also, because they're ZPS, the quad sits lower in the front and rear so it handles so much better. It doesn't slide out as easily or feel like it's going to tip- it just settles in and takes the turn. I am really happy thus far. Riding my dad's stock 400EX for a little bit today made me more aware of the differences. For the riding that I do (trails mostly), these shocks were a great choice. I recommend them to anyone who is looking for a shock upgrade on a budget or if you don't need racing shocks.

Thanks to Colby at C&D Racing :)

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 01:18 AM
during install

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
on the trail

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 01:20 AM
rebuilt rear shock and new skidplate

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 01:21 AM
a little suspension action

crazycd1
05-19-2006, 02:21 AM
Can I ask what the entire setup ran you? I am looking to do the same here soon..

maxamillion
05-19-2006, 05:13 AM
Thats awesome! Hopefully I will be able to afford a similar set up this summer (if gas prices would just go down). How did you choose between the C&D ssd rear revalve and the Gt thunder revalve and link? What is your ride height set at below the footpegs?

Colby@C&DRacing
05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
glad they showed up on time :) Hope you enjoy them. let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

300exOH
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Niiice.:devil: The more you ride on them the more you will like them. I have had mine for about a year now and I have nothing but praise for elkas. I'm sure there are other shocks that are just as good if not better but fr the money elkas are hard to beat. Enjoy!

ohsobad_chevy
05-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Elkas are so beutiful, I will definately buy elkas when i get some extra cash.

05-19-2006, 10:36 AM
how do you like them so far? :macho

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by crazycd1
Can I ask what the entire setup ran you? I am looking to do the same here soon..

I got everything from Colby @ C&D Racing

The fronts were $445 and the rear was $300

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
Thats awesome! Hopefully I will be able to afford a similar set up this summer (if gas prices would just go down). How did you choose between the C&D ssd rear revalve and the Gt thunder revalve and link? What is your ride height set at below the footpegs?

You know I just always hear good things about C&D. I know people say that GT Thunder does good work but a good riding buddy of mine has got a lot of stuff from C&D and has known others with similar mods, and they have all been very happy, so I decided to go with what I knew worked. I'm happy :macho

I just measured the ride height at the bolts for the foot pegs and at the front engine mounts. The rear sits at 9.5" and the front at 9.25". Elka recommends recreational riding ground clearance to be at 9-10", but also says for the front to be slightly higher which I realize is not the case on mine right now, so I need to adjust that before I go out again. I compared it to my dad's stock 400EX and it sits like 1.5" lower in the front and like 2" lower in the rear, which makes a huge difference in handling.

Here is a picture of the front of mine and my dad's. As you should be able to tell, mine is the one on the left.

04TRX400EX
05-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
how do you like them so far? :macho

So far I think they're great. I only have about two hours on them so I am still getting used to them. I do notice though that they soak up the terrain so much better than stock shocks so riding is a lot more comfortable. The biggest difference I noticed is the handling. Cause they're ZPS, the quad sits a lot lower (without sacrificing ground clearance) so it doesn't feel as tippy in the corners. Rather then sliding out or bouncing over things, the shocks settle into the trail and hold your line.

Ex'r Marlin
05-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Great news Danny! Glad to hear that you recieved your new suspension upgrade! Sounds like you went with a really nice setup. Glad to hear that Colby and Dusty took care of you.

C&D took great care of me too back in 1999 when I bought my set of Elkas for my 400EX.

Let me know when you want to go riding... Anxious to meet up with you and test out your new suspension upgrade.

Note: Once you sit on the 400EX, you will notice that it squats down even more with the setup you have than a stock setup... You need to take a picture of you sitting on your quad and your dad sitting on his.

Best of luck with it... Enjoy.

tmoney
05-20-2006, 04:43 PM
This is absolutely killing me! My Elkas are like 6 miles away, I have waited 2 weeks, but Casey Cycles (Casey Martin's shop)(races pro am) is closed untill Monday!

KingpinsEx
05-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new elka's. I was thinking of going a similar way, but decided to get some used shocks instead. I ended up getting some elka thriple rate comp.rebound. adjust piggybacks off ebay and LOVE them. I just got to ride them for the first time this week and they are simply amazing! I also have an axis dual rate rear...The handling/ride experience is so much better, i would recommend this as the BEST improvement you can make to a sport atv. I'm pretty sure i wont have to much trouble running with my buddies stock 450s and raptors now! Have fun and good choice man!

04TRX400EX
05-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm glad to hear that people are enthusiastic about their Elka's or their upcoming purchases of Elka's. Some other threads going around on here recently have got some members talking like Elka's are sh*t. I do not agree and I am glad others don't either. Elka makes great shocks. Besides, they're not the leader in aftermarket atv shocks for nothing.

04TRX400EX
05-23-2006, 09:30 PM
I just thought of a question:

I've heard people say that Elka's are sometimes not valved correctly the first time around. I haven't got to ride my new shocks much yet but what should I be looking for to determine if the valving is right or not? Is it personal preference or what? I want to make sure that they are setup "perfectly" for me.

300exOH
05-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX

I've heard people say that Elka's are sometimes not valved correctly the first time around. I haven't got to ride my new shocks much yet but what should I be looking for to determine if the valving is right or not? Is it personal preference or what? I want to make sure that they are setup "perfectly" for me.

I have read posts saying the elkas aren't valved right from the factory but I'd say it's probably the exeption and not the rule. Most seem very happy with them after some minor adjustments. For the most part it is personal preference unless they are valved way off to begin with. You'll just have to test them in the conditions you normally ride in and make some adjustments to decide for yourself. If you can't get them adjusted to your liking you can send them back and have them revalved/sprung. If you were honest about the type of rider you are then they should be very close right out of the box.

04TRX400EX
05-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I have read posts saying the elkas aren't valved right from the factory but I'd say it's probably the exeption and not the rule. Most seem very happy with them after some minor adjustments. For the most part it is personal preference unless they are valved way off to begin with. You'll just have to test them in the conditions you normally ride in and make some adjustments to decide for yourself. If you can't get them adjusted to your liking you can send them back and have them revalved/sprung. If you were honest about the type of rider you are then they should be very close right out of the box.

Good to hear. I got them from C&D Racing and Colby asked me all the necessary questions and I answered them honestly so I guess I should be good. I need to take the quad out and ride it more and harder like I usually do so that I can determine if they're setup right. They should be. I can't wait to go out again!

300exOH
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Good to hear. I got them from C&D Racing and Colby asked me all the necessary questions and I answered them honestly so I guess I should be good. I need to take the quad out and ride it more and harder like I usually do so that I can determine if they're setup right. They should be. I can't wait to go out again!

You should be good to go then. I know that one common mistake people make is that they say they are a really agressive rider when they are really more on the moderate side and then complain their shocks are stiff. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the shocks when you ride a bit harder/faster. I know with mine they seem to feel even better when I push the quad harder.

KingpinsEx
05-24-2006, 07:54 PM

Yea you should be fine, espically coming off stock shocks. Motocross shocks would probably feel good compared to the stockers in most cases, but you want them setup right needless to say. I think alot of the people saying they had incorrect valving were either expecting more of the shock then they paid or have ridden many other types and simply didn't like how the elka's compared. If you were accurate with questions it should be setup right. Espically with your rec. series shocks, there is alot less adjustablilty then their other models so its easier to fine tune. If you find you shocks bottoming out where stockers did or not handling the little stuff as good as your stockers, then that should be the easist way to tell they are incorrectly valved, basically do a comparison. Elka's are great shocks but don't have to high of hopes, they can only be so good ;)

Pick
05-26-2006, 08:18 AM
What type of swingarm skidplate is that in the picture?

huffdaddy_400EX
05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I have Elka's on both my z400 and 400ex. They are the best investment you can make. They make it so much easier to ride longer and harder when compared to the stockers.

One point.

Most complaints come from people the take them out of the box and slap them on and expect them to work like magic. It is true that their shocks are "valved" and "sprung" for your weight and riding style but they still may need adjustment (ride height, compression, rebound...and so on).

400exrules
05-26-2006, 03:24 PM
how well will these shocks work since they dont have rezzies or adjustments?

04TRX400EX
05-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Pick
What type of swingarm skidplate is that in the picture?

It's a PRM .190" swingarm skid

04TRX400EX
05-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
how well will these shocks work since they dont have rezzies or adjustments?

Like I said I only have a couple of hours on them but so far they work great. Rezzies are only really necessary if you ride for extended periods of time or race where shock fade may come into play because the shock oil heats up and loses its dampening abilities. For the recreational/trail riding I do, I never experienced shock fade on the stockers and they Elka's are a huge improvement, so I figured I'd be fine. As for adjustments, yes I would love the ability to make fine tuning adjustments to make the setup as close to perfect as possible, but again, since I don't race and the trails in AZ don't vary too much, I couldn't justify spending $900 on a pair of shocks. I don't have enough disposable income for price not to be an issue. I'm just a college student working part-time :) I will say though that for the money spent, they are everything I thought they would be :macho I just need to ride them more so I can get more used to them ... apparently the harder you ride them, the better they are.

Ex'r Marlin
05-26-2006, 11:31 PM
.... I just need to ride them more so I can get more used to them ... apparently the harder you ride them, the better they are.

Especially through the whooped sections!:macho

Danny, I am anxious to go riding with you and checking out your set-up... Keep in touch!