PDA

View Full Version : Elka Rear shock YFZ problem?

infantry317
05-18-2006, 09:32 PM
I've heard the YFZ Elka rear is the same whether LT or std. travel just the LT linkage is added for LT? I've got a rear I bought used that originally was setup for Houser LT swingarm, supposidly was re-setup (springs basically) for stock swingarm linkage for close to my weight, I bought a new main per Elka.

I can't get anywhere near 8" rear ride height under the pegs, I can barely turn the collar even with a cresent wrench off the ring tool they give ya, it is up on a stand. I also got the impression from talking the Shane @ Elka that LT and std shock bodies are the same.

Any shock experts, your advise is welcome.
Thanks,
Scott

Q35
05-19-2006, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't call myself an expert. But I think you should just quit whining and ride- Just Joking

05-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by infantry317
I've heard the YFZ Elka rear is the same whether LT or std. travel just the LT linkage is added for LT? I've got a rear I bought used that originally was setup for Houser LT swingarm, supposidly was re-setup (springs basically) for stock swingarm linkage for close to my weight, I bought a new main per Elka.

I can't get anywhere near 8" rear ride height under the pegs, I can barely turn the collar even with a cresent wrench off the ring tool they give ya, it is up on a stand. I also got the impression from talking the Shane @ Elka that LT and std shock bodies are the same.

Any shock experts, your advise is welcome.
Thanks,
Scott

if the shocks have the same travel wether lt or not, then you would just be getting a better shock angle, which would mean they could change the valving a bit, but i am pretty sure they arent the same shock

as for the ride height, whats your problem? can you just not turn the rings? if thats the only problem then your best bet is to get a little bit of wd40 and spray it down, let it soak for about 3 minutes, then try it, we usually turn ours by sticking a T handle allen wrench down one of the holes and turn it that way, or just with our hands

as for the shock bodies, i couldnt tell you, but if they have the same shock travel then im sure they have the same shaft and everything, but not 100% sure, id call up and ask Carl or Yan, they are the shock experts up there IMO, but i never talk to anyone else lol

infantry317
05-19-2006, 11:01 AM
WD won't do it, I have this thing cleaned up where it looks brand new. It seems like the spring is having to be compressed too far down the body, there is about 3" of exposed threads. You can't turn the ring because there is so much resistance from the compressed springs. :( :mad:

infantry317
05-19-2006, 11:04 AM
And as for you Queer35, :D Get back to work...:blah:

Flynbryan19
05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm always a stickler for the obvious.....But, you do have the rear end up off the ground when your trying to turn the collar right? Not calling you dumb, just stating whats a common/simple mistake. Good luck. ;)

Q35
05-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Maybe he's trying to adjust it while sitting on the seat so he can see how it changes ride height. Maybe you should tip the quad upside down on the seat and adjust it like you used to adjust your bicycle chain when you were a kid.

Splatter Matter
05-19-2006, 02:20 PM
there are two set screw that lock the ring on my elka shock make sure you loosen them up first then turn the ring.

MD450r
05-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Instead of just trying to turn the adjusting collar, put your hands on the spring that hits the collar and the collar. Now try to turn them both at the same time.

If that dosent work then I would try lightly tapping the adjusting collar with a hammer, but with a peice of aluminum or brass in between the two so you dont dammage the collar. This may break any corosion loose that is holding the collar to the shock body.

Aaron

infantry317
05-19-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll have to try turning the spring/collar at the same time. there is no corrosion, looks new. It is the spring resistance that makes it difficult to turn and yes it is on a stand.

trx4ever
05-19-2006, 10:54 PM
remember 2 set screws