PDA

View Full Version : pain in the *** rebuild

greg_gorrell
05-18-2006, 09:16 PM
so my head gasket blew last week, so the next day i replaced it and went riding, it blew again. so i bought another one today and was putting it back together and as i was toquing down the last head stud cap, the stud started turning, broke the top of the cap off and ripped the stud right out. so now i gotta take it to work tomorrow and put a heli coil in it. does anyone else have these kinda of problems with this ****ty metal? i just had to put two in because the treads ripped out on 2 ov the valve cover bolts.

i think im gonna try and cnc a new top end, if anyone has any experience in this, please respond.

sixer3
05-18-2006, 10:36 PM
i wouldnt recomend cnc a new top end but if you do and it works good i'll probably buy one

anytime i see a used one in good condition for cheap on ebay i pick it up got my last one for 55 shpped heh, their pretty fragile, just drill and re-tap for the larger head studs...the reason your head gasket as blowing was probably b/c your studs were pullin out, you checked those after the first blow but o well you gotta learn sometime, and after you fix it you'll LOVE it some more gj

1fst400
05-19-2006, 11:38 AM
are you running oversized head studs?

if not you may want to invest in a set.

greg_gorrell
05-19-2006, 06:44 PM
yeah, im thinking about it now...i dont see why it pulled tho, im still on the stock bore and only running 11:1 compression. i was thinking about putting one of those pieces in there like a heli coil, except its a solid piece of metal instead of the wire stuff heli coils are made from. my local honda shop usually has a bunch but they ran out of the size i need so im gonna run down to another machine shop tommorrow to see if they have some.