PDA

View Full Version : cam chain replacement?

YFZ450Ridr
05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
well i figured out that the ticking noise is due to a stretched out cam chain. the tensioner is all the way out and it still isnt perfectly tight. the big question is, how do i take the old one out and put a new one in? the chain goes pretty deep into the motor looks like to me, does it connect to the main crank? is there a master link on the old one to take it off and if so, how in the world do i get the new one on? also, does anybody know where i can find a new cam chain, ive been searching and cant seem to find one? can anybody shine a little light on this for me? thanks, james.

YFZ450Ridr
05-19-2006, 06:16 PM
bump...

racemx
05-20-2006, 06:34 AM
i would just have a shop take it out and have them put the new one in. they wont charge much. and it saves you a head ake if you mess up

boricua
05-20-2006, 03:41 PM
i just though of something....maybe some of the engine builders can confirm.....(if it hasnt been done already, sticky?)

im thinking you can you rotate the engine until the master link is accessible, then disconnect it, ensuring the chain doesnt fall back into the engine. attach the new chain to the master link of the old one and rotate the motor, couterclock-wise, until the master with the new chain attached appears again at the top by the cam and is accessible. then disconnect the old chain and close up the links on the new chain. you must keep tension on the chain to make sure it stays on track and follows the gear. it wouldnt matter if it jumps or skips a tooth at this point as long as it stays on the gear, because you will still have the chance to set the timing before the new chain is on as you would normally.

has anyone done this yet? i cant be the only one who's thought of this.......

JOEX
05-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by boricua
i just though of something....maybe some of the engine builders can confirm.....(if it hasnt been done already, sticky?)

im thinking you can you rotate the engine until the master link is accessible, then disconnect it, ensuring the chain doesnt fall back into the engine. attach the new chain to the master link of the old one and rotate the motor, couterclock-wise, until the master with the new chain attached appears again at the top by the cam and is accessible. then disconnect the old chain and close up the links on the new chain. you must keep tension on the chain to make sure it stays on track and follows the gear. it wouldnt matter if it jumps or skips a tooth at this point as long as it stays on the gear, because you will still have the chance to set the timing before the new chain is on as you would normally.

has anyone done this yet? i cant be the only one who's thought of this.......
Is there a master link on the timing chain?

nakomis0
05-20-2006, 05:49 PM
I may be wrong but there is no master link on a cam chain. If you pay a shop thats gonna be about a $300 job.

Get a manual and open it up you have to remove the cylinder.

boricua
05-20-2006, 05:56 PM
uh:rolleyes: sorry guys, i may have misread his post.
dunno know about a master link......

in the event that there is one, you can try it......whoops, feel like an *** now.....:ermm:

boricua
05-20-2006, 05:58 PM
guess thats why it sounded too good:(

YFZ450Ridr
05-20-2006, 07:59 PM
would it be possible to get a chain breaker and then attatch the two chains together because thier is no master link?

JOEX
05-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400ridr
would it be possible to get a chain breaker and then attatch the two chains together because thier is no master link?
If there's no master link how do you intend on reattaching the chain? The cam chain isn't something i'd want to take short cuts on. Either learn how to do it yourself or shell out the $'s for a professional else to do it.

Assuming this is about your z400....

Your sig says you have a HD cam chain. Why do you need another one already? Maybe the tensioner is bad?

YFZ450Ridr
05-20-2006, 11:10 PM
well i ordered the heavy duty cam chain and thats what i plan on installing. right now the stock one is in. i checked the tensioner and its working fine, but its all the way out when i put it in which leads me to believe its the cam chain that is stretched and needs replacing.

i read some reviews and such and i may end up taking off the clutch cover, clutch plates and a gear in order to get to the bottom gear where the cam chain rotates on. i didnt want to have to do all of that but it seems like it may be my only option.

YFZ450Ridr
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
bump...