PDA

View Full Version : First race

10-08-2001, 10:23 AM
Hey everyone, i entering my first harescramble this sunday and was wondering if anybody had some tips for me. thanks.

CBRSLIDER
10-08-2001, 11:04 AM
Pace yourself. It is a long race. Riding over your head will cause you to make unnecessary mistakes. It's kinda hard to do this at first, but as the race wears on, you'll have more energy and your machine will be in one piece. Hitting trees will cause you to spend more energy and time pulling it off the tree, than slowing down a hair to get through the area cleanly.

Speaking of machines. Check your ride over carefully for any problems that could crop up in the middle of the race. Is your air filter clean? New oil? Chain properly tightened? Axle nut properly tightened? Simple routine maintenance items will help you. If the wheeler isn't running then you can be the fastest guy out there and still be in dead last.

Also have fun with it. You're going to find out that it is alot of work and that there are guys that are alot faster than you. The race is 25% machine and 75% rider. But the machine has to be running properly. I just started racing this past summer and in only two races I have learned alot and had a blast. And that's what it is about. I'm no expert but these are areas that I have learned are important to cover. Good luck. Let us know how you did.

Ray

10-08-2001, 01:14 PM
Odd,s of you finishing 1st are slim ( no offense intended )so don't race above your head...ride smart... and watch everything around you. Pace yourself the best you can and if a faster rider needs to pass let him go by don't hold him up...you'll have your share of people to pass also....just ride smart is the biggest key to finishing a race in one piece..